So-called "cheat meals": I don't get it.

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.

So-called "cheat meals": I don't get it.

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but what is the point of having a weekly "cheat meal" ?

If you hit your daily targeted macros and calories, couldn't you eat pizza every day and not suffer in terms of body composition?

Is the concept of a cheat meal mainly for those in a strict cutting phase, or those on a low calorie diet?

Not belittling anyone; I'm just curious. I can eat 5K + and not gain a pound (dead serious), so I personally have given up on so-called "clean" eating.

I know health is a factor, but I'm talking strictly from a body composition standpoint here.

2. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.

Not everyone can devour calories and not gain weight. Many people must control caloric intake in order to achieve the physique they are desiring.

Also many have cheat meals as they eat clean the entire week. The one meal allows them to relax and enjoy a good meal. For others its strategicaly placed based upon the macros or breakdown of the diet.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'0"  114 lbs.

They posted an article today called cheat for big fat loss and it basically explains why cheating is important. I'm my case I'm totally new to all this healthy lifestyle. I'm trying to lose weight and get leaner. I train 6 days a week. My coach has given me permission to cheat every two weeks to shock my body and boost my metabolism. Just as a reminder to let my body know I'm not starving.
    •   

4. Registered User

Well from what I have gathered is if someone eats clean for a long time say two weeks its a mental break for them to have a cheat day. And yes it is good for someone who is getting less calories on a cut to boost their metabolism every week by having a cheat day. Also if you eat the same thing for a long period of time your body adapts to the food and processes it easier so its good to change it up and confuse your body once in awhile. And you got to experience life and have fun with family and friends some times.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

to the op your definately right actually its called iifym (if it fits your macros) its not like your body says this is chicken and sweet potato so im gonna turn it all into muscle but this is pizza so im gonna turn it all into fat. As long as the you dont exceede your calorie intake you arent going to gain bodyfat. Also to note though to get your required macros without exceeding your calories you will inherintly eat mostly "clean" foods but if you can fit a slice of pizza into your planned macros you are fine.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Cheat meals are entirely subjective, as is eating 'clean'. Define 'clean' eating. To me, 'clean' eating includes Bacon and vegetables fried in left over beef fat whereas 'dirty' would be beans and wholegrains.

IIFYM is flawed in the sense that, yes, you may maintain body composition but at what cost?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Cheat meals are entirely subjective, as is eating 'clean'. Define 'clean' eating. To me, 'clean' eating includes Bacon and vegetables fried in left over beef fat whereas 'dirty' would be beans and wholegrains.IIFYM is flawed in the sense that, yes, you may maintain body composition but at what cost?
    So 100% agree with this, esp the last statement. I don't adhere to IIFYM, because I believe that what we put in bodies can have lifelong consequences. COULD you eat to fit your macros and still achieve the same results on the outside? Technically, yes. But at what cost to your overall health? Don't get me wrong, I go HAM on ice cream and other BS from time to time, but it's more of a "I really want this right now, so I'm going to have it" type of thing, and it's not done very frequently. I love what I eat on a daily basis, and I eat different things every single day. So I really never feel deprived, and thus don't feel like I want to "cheat." There's also a difference between an entire cheat DAY (usually a high-carb refeed) vs a cheat MEAL. Cheat meals actually don't spike your metabolism like many believe. The meal is usually not enough to spike much of anything. An entire day, however, is a different story.It's all about the bigger picture and your overall goals.
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Epolis13 View Post
    So 100% agree with this, esp the last statement. I don't adhere to IIFYM, because I believe that what we put in bodies can have lifelong consequences. COULD you eat to fit your macros and still achieve the same results on the outside? Technically, yes. But at what cost to your overall health? Don't get me wrong, I go HAM on ice cream and other BS from time to time, but it's more of a "I really want this right now, so I'm going to have it" type of thing, and it's not done very frequently. I love what I eat on a daily basis, and I eat different things every single day. So I really never feel deprived, and thus don't feel like I want to "cheat." There's also a difference between an entire cheat DAY (usually a high-carb refeed) vs a cheat MEAL. Cheat meals actually don't spike your metabolism like many believe. The meal is usually not enough to spike much of anything. An entire day, however, is a different story.It's all about the bigger picture and your overall goals.
    What's this magic "enough" amount that you speak of. Because I'm going to go ahead and say that some of my cheat meals are comparable to some peoples cheat days. I'm honestly interested if there is a specific range, etc that will actually provide this boost we often shoot for.
    Current Unsponsored XGELS log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/238229-jswains-run-xgels.html
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  251 lbs.

Alot of people will use this with different types of carb cycling, for an example. eating low carb mon-fri followed by a carb up day or two . saturday through sunday. People will use this day or 2 to eat their ''cheat'' meals.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  143 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    What's this magic "enough" amount that you speak of. Because I'm going to go ahead and say that some of my cheat meals are comparable to some peoples cheat days. I'm honestly interested if there is a specific range, etc that will actually provide this boost we often shoot for.
    It depends on the person. Obviously, if we're talking about you and me, I'm sure one of your meals may add up to an entire 1 of my cheat days Refeeds are more about carb spikes than anything.
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Cheat meals are entirely subjective, as is eating 'clean'. Define 'clean' eating. To me, 'clean' eating includes Bacon and vegetables fried in left over beef fat whereas 'dirty' would be beans and wholegrains.

IIFYM is flawed in the sense that, yes, you may maintain body composition but at what cost?
    compleatly agree with you and i may have not been as clear as i would have liked in my previous post. i was basically just saying that occasionally allowing yourself a so called dirty food is not going to be detremental to you if you stay in range. I do think inherintely to stay in macronutrient goals a person would be eating in a healthy manner
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. I don't get it??
    By Doubravkody in forum Bulking
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
  2. Type 1 Diabetes and Cheat Meals
    By Rock Lee in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 10:07 AM
  3. The so-called "2 weeks off" they recommend
    By Chuck in forum Exercise Science