Food after morning training and BCAA question

  1. Registered User
    feather319's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    55
    Answers
    0

    Food after morning training and BCAA question


    Hi. I train in the morning and have been experimenting with skipping the whey protein post workout. I usually train at 7-8:15 with 1 scoop BCAA preworkout. I usually get a whey protein shake in around 9 am and eat around 9:30. 3 eggs w/flax and 1/2 cup to 1 cup sweet potato. The last few weeks I've experimented with skipping the why and using Xtend. I've been dosing 2 scoops post workout and then getting breakfast around 9:30. I have been finding this week that my muscles are super sore and not as recovered as before. Am I waiting to long to eat? Do I need more BCAA? what is your experience with post workout nutrition after morning training?

    Also, would you consider my first meal of the day to be sufficient?

  2. Registered User
    EWolfe08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    142
    Answers
    0


    I'd go with Xtend intra workout and whey protein immediately post. Then a meal 45-90 minutes later.
  3. Registered User
    cumminslifter's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,805
    Answers
    1


    I train 16+hours fasted with 10g BCAA pre workout and don't have a post workout meal till about an hour later
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Kingjake's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    169
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    I train 16+hours fasted with 10g BCAA pre workout and don't have a post workout meal till about an hour later
    Yea. I do this same thing as well.
  5. Registered User
    feather319's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    55
    Answers
    0


    Hmm...I wonder why I am not recovering then. I forgot to mention I add leucine to my post workout BCAA mix but it hasn't helped with muscle recover as I would have hoped. I will experiment a bit longer before I go back to whey. Thanks for the input.
  6. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,098
    Answers
    0


    Leucines role is to primarily switch the body from AMPK activation to activating mTOR and thus activating protein synthesis. The most important meal is the 'post' workout meal. For me, this involves 10g BCAA with some Leucine coupled with some form of protein and carb source. The idea is to get the body into protein synthesis mode as quickly as possibe after a bout of exercise and start the nutrient shuttling process.

    Xtend is kinda pointless imo, but to each their own but you shouldn't be swapping post workout things in favor of intra as the intra is primarily for prolonging energy. On a related note, taking in BCAAs and Carbs intra will slow down lipolysis (the bodys ability to burn fat as a source) and so I recommend dropping all intras and instead take a caffeine tab or something.

    The body does remain in a state of protein synthesis for ~24+ hours post resistance training workout but I still like to get in a post workout relatviely soon after just to kick start the process. On top of that, A carb source post workout will stop protein degradation which is another reason to take in something post.
  7. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,167
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Leucines role is to primarily switch the body from AMPK activation to activating mTOR and thus activating protein synthesis. The most important meal is the 'post' workout meal. For me, this involves 10g BCAA with some Leucine coupled with some form of protein and carb source. The idea is to get the body into protein synthesis mode as quickly as possibe after a bout of exercise and start the nutrient shuttling process.

    Xtend is kinda pointless imo, but to each their own but you shouldn't be swapping post workout things in favor of intra as the intra is primarily for prolonging energy. On a related note, taking in BCAAs and Carbs intra will slow down lipolysis (the bodys ability to burn fat as a source) and so I recommend dropping all intras and instead take a caffeine tab or something.

    The body does remain in a state of protein synthesis for ~24+ hours post resistance training workout but I still like to get in a post workout relatviely soon after just to kick start the process. On top of that, A carb source post workout will stop protein degradation which is another reason to take in something post.
    OK, what are your thoughts on having carbs/BCAA intra from a performance oriented perspective?

    I understand your point with lipolysis, but what about solely getting bigger/stronger/faster?
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  8. Registered User
    Kingjake's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    169
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by feather319 View Post
    Hmm...I wonder why I am not recovering then. I forgot to mention I add leucine to my post workout BCAA mix but it hasn't helped with muscle recover as I would have hoped. I will experiment a bit longer before I go back to whey. Thanks for the input.
    Could be other factors.. Like total intake of macros through out the rest of day. Sufficient amount of sleep.
  9. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,098
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    OK, what are your thoughts on having carbs/BCAA intra from a performance oriented perspective?

    I understand your point with lipolysis, but what about solely getting bigger/stronger/faster?
    Intras have a place, but probably not in your average joes weight routine. If glycogen stores are relatively full going into an exercise routine then that is most likely ample to sustain exercise over durations of an hour. Bear in mind that most studies supporting intra's are for endurance or HIIT type events as opposed to resistance exercise.

    Of course, if you like intras, then go for it
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. weight training and cardio questions
    By inmymind801 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
  2. Creatine And BCAA's Before/After Workout?
    By Wudog in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM
  5. Morning Cardio and BCAA
    By edwards in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in