Blood Test Results

  1. Registered User
    Billman55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0

    Blood Test Results


    So I decided to get my blood work done after about 2 years of taking a variety of different supplements and going from 185lbs to 225lbs, and no it was no steroids!! However when I received my blood work back my cholesterols were all outta wack and I was seriously confused because I've been playing Semi Pro football for the past 2 years and training 5/6 days a week. If anyone has any advice that would help get my cholesterols back in order that would be greatly appreciated...

    Name:  image-732681630.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  112.9 KB

  2. Registered User
    DV663's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    75
    Answers
    0


    eat less taco bell
  3. Registered User
    Billman55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    Eat fast food RARELY maybe once every 4 months if that and drink about once a month as well...
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Billman55 View Post
    Eat fast food RARELY maybe once every 4 months if that and drink about once a month as well...
    Yea I certainly wouldn't blame the diet immediately. Is there a family history you're aware of?
  5. Registered User
    Billman55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post

    Yea I certainly wouldn't blame the diet immediately. Is there a family history you're aware of?
    Both my parents have excellent HDL and LDL cholesterol levels however my fathers blood pressure is Alil higher than normal at times but yea both their cholesterols are normal as can be I'm almost positive from what I remember them telling me when I got my results back...
  6. Registered User
    Cordeen's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,262
    Answers
    0


    Fish oil and a balanced diet.
  7. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,118
    Answers
    2


    Any chnace you are able to get a more comprehensive blood test? One that shows LDL particle size as opposed to just overall LDL? Theres alot of contradictory evidence surrounding overall LDL: heres some articles + studies; Johns Hopkins: Heart Health on LDL cholesterol particle size: Special Reports


    Doctors know that small, dense LDL-particles are a better predictor of CVD: LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardio... [J Clin Lipidol. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
    and that the risk of small dense particles increases with an increased in triglycerides: Change in LDL particle size is associate... [Arterioscler Thromb. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

    LDL-C and total cholesterol have never been particularly good predictors of who will develop clogged arteries. However, total cholesterol strongly correlates with all cause mortality risk. For example, as total cholesterol rises above 240, there appears to be some increased risk for cardiovascular disease. As total cholesterol drops below 200 there is a steep rise in mortality from infections, parasites, and cancers and increased risk of violent death. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-c...holesterol.jpg

    Unfortunately, last I heard, the American Heart Association was still recommending that total cholesterol be artificially depressed below 200 to decrease risk of heart attack. theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions

    Yet researchers at Texas A&M university found that higher LDL levels predicted greater gains in muscle mass in a strength training study involving 60 to 69-year-old males. 'Bad' cholesterol not as bad as people think, shows Texas A&M study

    Hopefully, the LDL particle size issue will help exonerate total cholesterol and get saturated fats off the hook for heart disease. LDL Cholesterol – Ron Krauss MD | Me and My Diabetes After all, saturated fats have very little effect on total cholesterol compared to other dietary factors. theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions

    HDL could be higher though, but it is only just outside the reference range.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  8. Registered User
    Billman55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    This was extremely helpful thank you very much, I will definitely get a more comprehensive exam next visit and although I didn't get to read all the articles you suggested, the information you provided makes perfect sense in that my triglyceride levels were also elevated in that I rarely eat fast foods in which would mainly cause high triglyceride numbers. Therefore if I get a more thorough exam I would be able to see if the particle size of my LDL cholesterol was also effecting my triglyceride numbers...again thank you.
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,808
    Answers
    0

    Re: Blood Test Results


    Your HDL is slightly out of range but not sure if it is enough to be of a concern. I wouldn't worry over your total cholesterol. Where is your trig level out? That is usually indicitive of the type of LDL particle that is dominant. When you go back to doc ask for a VAP test that way you have an article measurement of LDL as well as particle size.

    I would suggest you try and lower simple carbs and overall carb intake for a while. Also give IF or ADF a shot for a little bit. Dietary intervention is always the best step to take first IMO

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  10. Registered User
    FL3X MAGNUM's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,394
    Answers
    0


    Did they show you your iron levels?
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  11. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,118
    Answers
    2


    I second the dropping of carb intake to just what is needed for training and nothing more (or not much more). Ketones are more than capable of provding an energy source for your brain and cellular energy during periods of rest or N.E.A.T (non exercise activity thermogenesis).

    Are you currently taking any supplements? If diet is in check then perhaps you have some confounders affecting cholesterol transport and therefore influencing the results of your blood test. IMO (and this is my opinion) statin therapy isn't really a viable option as this lowers LDL-C but does not increase the particle sizes of LDL (small LDL particles are very bad) and therefore may not actually do much overall. The best course is dietaray intervention to lower your triglycerides and perhaps identify any potential confounders.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  12. Registered User
    Billman55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Your HDL is slightly out of range but not sure if it is enough to be of a concern. I wouldn't worry over your total cholesterol. Where is your trig level out? That is usually indicitive of the type of LDL particle that is dominant. When you go back to doc ask for a VAP test that way you have an article measurement of LDL as well as particle size.

    I would suggest you try and lower simple carbs and overall carb intake for a while. Also give IF or ADF a shot for a little bit. Dietary intervention is always the best step to take first IMO

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    My Trig level was about 30-40 points out of range as well, but thank you I go back to the doctor in about 3 weeks I will definitely ask for a VAP test thank u
  13. Registered User
    Billman55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    I second the dropping of carb intake to just what is needed for training and nothing more (or not much more). Ketones are more than capable of provding an energy source for your brain and cellular energy during periods of rest or N.E.A.T (non exercise activity thermogenesis).

    Are you currently taking any supplements? If diet is in check then perhaps you have some confounders affecting cholesterol transport and therefore influencing the results of your blood test. IMO (and this is my opinion) statin therapy isn't really a viable option as this lowers LDL-C but does not increase the particle sizes of LDL (small LDL particles are very bad) and therefore may not actually do much overall. The best course is dietaray intervention to lower your triglycerides and perhaps identify any potential confounders.
    Just taking White flood as of now, when I got the blood work done however I was taking white flood and mutant mass...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. got my pre cycle blood test results, ?'s
    By 2slow in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
  2. Blood Test Results Not Good.
    By GatorGrappler in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
  3. o/t blood test results
    By snakebyte05 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 07:27 PM
  4. Some Blood Test Results
    By rebelhead in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 02:23 PM
  5. blood test result and why is my test so low?
    By WATERLOGGED in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in