Pre workout meal

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.98%

Pre workout meal

I've been doing some research and everything I read seems to contradict the last thing that I read. I am looking for some help on my preworkout meals, mainly pre cardio. Pre- lifting I usually mix 2 whole eggs with approx 4 eggs worth of egg whites and have a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with raisins and dried cranberries then hit the gym 2 hours later. Pre cardio - which I do a HIIT routine swimming laps, I usually just have the oatmeal and sometimes an apple, and a cup of coffee then begin cardio about 1 and 1/2 hours later. Is this an effective meal to eat before cardio if my goal is fat loss? I've been reading up on fasted cardio and it seems half the people swear by it and the other half say it makes no difference except you'll burn more muscle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or direct me to somewhere that I can find out myself? Thanks guys.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.98%

Anybody?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.98%

bu-bu-buuump
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.1%

I would not do cardio on empty stomach. If doing only cardio for fat loss I'd stick with protein (egg white in your case) and no carb. But losing fat is much more than a preworkout meal.
  5. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

if you are going to take in carbs before cardio, you may as well take in protein too
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.47%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by whaz View Post
    I've been doing some research and everything I read seems to contradict the last thing that I read. I am looking for some help on my preworkout meals, mainly pre cardio. Pre- lifting I usually mix 2 whole eggs with approx 4 eggs worth of egg whites and have a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with raisins and dried cranberries then hit the gym 2 hours later. Pre cardio - which I do a HIIT routine swimming laps, I usually just have the oatmeal and sometimes an apple, and a cup of coffee then begin cardio about 1 and 1/2 hours later. Is this an effective meal to eat before cardio if my goal is fat loss? I've been reading up on fasted cardio and it seems half the people swear by it and the other half say it makes no difference except you'll burn more muscle. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or direct me to somewhere that I can find out myself? Thanks guys.
    Treat your pre cardio meal like your pre workout (especially if you're doing HIIT). Also, I would not do fasted cardio unless you are doing LISS and hae a lot of fat to lose. Personally, I like HIIT with a session of MISS.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.7%

Fasted cardio is not something I would ever do, its the fastest way to lose fat and muscle! It doesn't matter what you eat before specifically as long as you have enough carbs to get you through your workout you'll be fine. If fat loss is the goal as long as you're in a deficit you will lose weight
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.43%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

fasted lifting or cardio will not make you lose muscle. but if you do try to consume 5-10g bcaa prior to your workout

Similar Forum Threads

1. pre-workout meal?
    By BoyFromAus in forum Bulking
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 12:56 AM
  2. Pre-workout meal timing
    By Bildo_21 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
  3. pre workout meal
    By Farmboy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19