Any Advice?

  1. Registered User
    bfrnwr96's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    32

    Any Advice?


    What's up Gents? I am looking for some advice on keeping as much muscle mass as possible without being able to lift. I had surgery yesterday to repair an inguinal hernia and therefore will be out of commission in the gym for at least 3-4 weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to preserve my current muscle mass while unable to lift? Obviously, I know it's impossible to not lose any, but want to keep it to as little as possible. Specifically I'm wondering what my macros should look like and what, if any, supplementation should I look at? Is it even worth continuing whey and creatine supplemetation? Any advice is appreciated...Thanks.

  2. Registered User
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48008

    I have a very easy time holding on to muscle on a low carb diet with plenty of protein. Secret is that without carbs insulin runs lower and HGH tends to stay higher which preserves muscle mass nicely plus as a bonus you will heal faster too.
  3. Registered User
    bfrnwr96's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    I have a very easy time holding on to muscle on a low carb diet with plenty of protein. Secret is that without carbs insulin runs lower and HGH tends to stay higher which preserves muscle mass nicely plus as a bonus you will heal faster too.
    Thanks that's helpful. Would there be any reason to continue taking creatine without be able to lift?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48008

    np bro,
    I'd say no. Now is a good time to cycle off creatine and let the body heal and rest.
  5. Registered User
    Captn_the's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    23981

    Any Advice?


    Quote Originally Posted by bfrnwr96 View Post
    Thanks that's helpful. Would there be any reason to continue taking creatine without be able to lift?
    Eat a healthy balanced diet at maintenance cals. No need to be concerned about low carbs. Any size lost will be negligible over 4 weeks, and muscle memory will get you back very quickly.
  6. Registered User
    bfrnwr96's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    32

    Yeah. I guess it's more of a mental thing for me. I don't like going 3 or 4 days without lifting much less 4 weeks. I feel like I will starting at square one by then. Would just like to maintain without putting on fat. Thanks for the input fellas.
  7. Registered User
    LizKing531's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    KY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,911
    Rep Power
    1021161

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrnwr96 View Post
    Yeah. I guess it's more of a mental thing for me. I don't like going 3 or 4 days without lifting much less 4 weeks. I feel like I will starting at square one by then. Would just like to maintain without putting on fat. Thanks for the input fellas.
    What type of surgery did you get? Just curious. I had an inguinal hernia repaired via laproscopy and a mesh patch, this was about 6 years ago. To this day that spot will still flare up with pain with certain movements.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  8. Registered User
    bfrnwr96's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by LizKing531 View Post

    What type of surgery did you get? Just curious. I had an inguinal hernia repaired via laproscopy and a mesh patch, this was about 6 years ago. To this day that spot will still flare up with pain with certain movements.
    Nice. That's a bit discouraging. I had it the same way. Laparoscopic with mesh.
  9. Registered User
    LizKing531's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    KY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,911
    Rep Power
    1021161

    Quote Originally Posted by bfrnwr96 View Post

    Nice. That's a bit discouraging. I had it the same way. Laparoscopic with mesh.
    Yeah they went in thru my belly button and stapled the mesh in place.

    I haven't looked into it since i had mine done, maybe the procedure has advanced since then. It feels like it get irritated (like a pulling sensation) or maybe some nerve damage in the area or something. Never severe, but it will definitely remind me that it is there.

    It usually only happens during squats anymore, but i'd say at least one set a month is interrupted by it. For instance last week it hit during a set, reracked the weight, waited a second and tried again - no pain then or the rest of the session
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  10. Registered User
    GeraldNY181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    18382

    Id shoot for just keeping your weight up, rather than worrying about muscle while your not training. If you can keep your weight the same then when you get back to training your body will re set itself muscularly.
  11. Registered User
    bfrnwr96's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    Id shoot for just keeping your weight up, rather than worrying about muscle while your not training. If you can keep your weight the same then when you get back to training your body will re set itself muscularly.
    Thanks man. Yeah it's been over a week and haven't been able to lift so much as my two year old son. My weight hasn't really changed but definitely losing some firmness and definition. I guess from coming off creatine combined with doing nothing. Oh well I guess there really isn't much you can do about it. I will just keep eating clean until I'm cleared.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:26 PM
  2. Clen any advice?
    By psu 1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 11:03 AM
  3. My diet plan...first time so any advice is welcomed.
    By tommy36p in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:42 AM
  4. First cycle, any advice?
    By max0d in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 02:11 PM
  5. First cycle.....any advice?
    By BBC in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 07:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in