Keto, how safe is it?

  1. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I want to try and run a keto diet while cycling with alphamine and raspberry keytones. I'm curious as to how safe it actually is . I know you can eat 50g of carbs a day but I also know the brain needs carbohydrates to function. Is 50g enough? Also what about mental clarity without carbs? I wouldn't want to jump into this without knowing all the side effects especially the mental ones.

    I'm liking this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cycl...genic_diet.htm

    Ckd, I like the idea of carb up days and such.

    What do you guys recommend for a good multi vitamin while on keto or in general?

  2. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    30g a day of carbs is suggested, and in the absence of carbs your body will produce ketones, which will serve as the fuel resource needed.

    And perfectly safe, improved all my bloodworks.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  3. New Member
    qetadgzcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    7891
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    61.94%

    I've been on an experimental protein only diet for 11days now (I'm only using protein powders (whey, hydrowhey, casein & a complex blend) and absolutely no food. Depending on the intensity of my workouts my daily micronutrient values are as below;

    Protein: 171gr - 255gr
    Carbs: 27gr - 31gr
    Fat: 16gr - 21gr
    Sugar: 8gr - 12gr
    (1007kcal - 1407kcal)

    Though I'm using BCAA and Glutamine powders and EAA tabs separately. Also using quite a few additional supplements to support my body & systems.

    I train pretty heavy, 5hr krav maga, 1hr yoga, 2hr cardio, 2hr 15min PT sessions (mostly compound exercises), 3hr 15min isolation training (and burpees) over 11 separate sessions in 6 days per week. In everything I do, my effort/pain level is 8.5-9.5/10. And as of today I'm adding two 20km running sessions per week.

    I'm 28, work full time in a senior managerial position(in reference to your question about low carbs) and so far haven't felt any downsides of this diet and heavy exercise. To be very honest I've never felt so alive and strong in my life before. I'm simply exploding with energy!

    You can take a look at my thread at "anabolicminds . com / forum / nutrition-health / 224181-highly-experimental-extreme . html" (sorry couldn't post links due to low post count, just remove all the spaces) for more information. I've an attached file with any details you could ask for. I was complaining about weight loss coming to a stop but has slowly started again now. My fiancee hasn't been able to stop complimenting the progress I've with muscle growth & definition lately as my upper body has changed incredibly over the last 7 days!

    It's an extremely controversial plan for anyone to follow and extremely strict but can give you a few ideas to shape your own system.

    Cheers!
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Lets see. I see nothing but terrible in that diet.


    1. No energy source. Your body will oxidize amino acids for energy since your restricting the carbs and fats. Obviously not enough to make ATP or keytones. Not to mention the breakdown of muscle tissue for energy causing less muscle which means your metabolism slows. Aka no more weight loss for you

    2. 1000 kCal. That's so far under maintenance that your metabolism is at a crawl, your body in survival mode storing every possible calorie it has since you are pretty much starving yourself.

    3. You'll start to gain fat at that point of starvation because your body will have to store whatever it's given , aka as fat a storable energy source.

    And anyway you're lying, I saw your thread and pictures and you are holding onto a lot of weight still especially your mid section.
  5. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33855
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    70.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Lets see. I see nothing but terrible in that diet. 1. No energy source. Your body will oxidize amino acids for energy since your restricting the carbs and fats. Obviously not enough to make ATP or keytones. Not to mention the breakdown of muscle tissue for energy causing less muscle which means your metabolism slows. Aka no more weight loss for you 2. 1000 kCal. That's so far under maintenance that your metabolism is at a crawl, your body in survival mode storing every possible calorie it has since you are pretty much starving yourself. 3. You'll start to gain fat at that point of starvation because your body will have to store whatever it's given , aka as fat a storable energy source. And anyway you're lying, I saw your thread and pictures and you are holding onto a lot of weight still especially your mid section.
    That;As I said, look into CKD diet; your experimental diet will give you one experimentally bad bloodwork and side-effects. Low cal, no fat, you may end up feeling weak and gaining weight following this.A diet should be no more than 800 calories / day below your maintenance level, and a pure protein diet is really bad for your health and may increase your cholesterol levels as well as bring lots of negative side effects on a day to day basis. Original Atkins was horrible for your body, hence CKD, Anabolic Diet, Metabolic Diet, etc. Ketones are only produced to burn fat in the presence and ingestion of fat. Google some of those and read up on it, for you to go low carbs about ~40% at least of your daily caloric intakes need to be from a fatty source.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  6. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Even 800 is pretty low. If you don't mind, what does it improve in your blood work ?

    CKD looks good though I'm liking the carb up days lol 600 g of carbs sounds fun

    I think I'm gonna run it 5 keto days of 30g carbs M-F then carb up on the weekend at 400-600g of carbs.

    What are good fats to get my energy from? Red meat, nuts, oils, pb, eggs, what else? Also I'm scared to start this in the midst of exams because of that possible brain fog side effect :/

    Right now I'm looking at 2,370 kCal. 200g p , 150g fat and 30g carbs. Maybe ill up the fat to bring my kCal to around 2450. I'm 5 foot 8, 180ish lbs . My maintenance is around 2800, so a. 400 kcal deficit seems perfect. Going to use veggies as a carb source in every meal . Also take a good multi vitamin so I'm not robbed of important vitamins or minerals. I'm excited lol
  7. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,991
    Rep Power
    2644377
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    76.15%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Re: Keto, how safe is it?


    Quote Originally Posted by qetadgzcb View Post
    I've been on an experimental protein only diet for 11days now (I'm only using protein powders (whey, hydrowhey, casein & a complex blend) and absolutely no food. Depending on the intensity of my workouts my daily micronutrient values are as below;

    Protein: 171gr - 255gr
    Carbs: 27gr - 31gr
    Fat: 16gr - 21gr
    Sugar: 8gr - 12gr
    (1007kcal - 1407kcal)

    Though I'm using BCAA and Glutamine powders and EAA tabs separately. Also using quite a few additional supplements to support my body & systems.

    I train pretty heavy, 5hr krav maga, 1hr yoga, 2hr cardio, 2hr 15min PT sessions (mostly compound exercises), 3hr 15min isolation training (and burpees) over 11 separate sessions in 6 days per week. In everything I do, my effort/pain level is 8.5-9.5/10. And as of today I'm adding two 20km running sessions per week.

    I'm 28, work full time in a senior managerial position(in reference to your question about low carbs) and so far haven't felt any downsides of this diet and heavy exercise. To be very honest I've never felt so alive and strong in my life before. I'm simply exploding with energy!

    You can take a look at my thread at "anabolicminds . com / forum / nutrition-health / 224181-highly-experimental-extreme . html" (sorry couldn't post links due to low post count, just remove all the spaces) for more information. I've an attached file with any details you could ask for. I was complaining about weight loss coming to a stop but has slowly started again now. My fiancee hasn't been able to stop complimenting the progress I've with muscle growth & definition lately as my upper body has changed incredibly over the last 7 days!

    It's an extremely controversial plan for anyone to follow and extremely strict but can give you a few ideas to shape your own system.

    Cheers!
    Your diet is pretty similar to a protein sparing modified fast diet.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. New Member
    qetadgzcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    7891
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    61.94%

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    And anyway you're lying, I saw your thread and pictures and you are holding onto a lot of weight still especially your mid section.
    My bad, I shouldn't have actually said anything before making sure that you had the most basic skill called "reading" and possessed the bare minimum level of intelligence & intellect to actually hold a civilized conversation. Enjoy your day mate!
  9. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    Rep Power
    441997
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    15.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I do CKD and use Sunday through Thursday as Keto days and Friday and Saturday as carb up days in case I have a few drinks. It's been effective as I've leaned up a little bit and not only kept my strength but added on some too. I stay between 2000-2400 kcals depending on if it is a lifting day or not. Yesterday was a off/cardio day so it looked like 2010 kcal from 143g fat, 26g carbs and 147g protein. Foods were brats, 80/20 ground beef, shredded cheese, salsa and some green chilis plus a scoop of protein powder.
  10. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joh408 View Post
    I do CKD and use Sunday through Thursday as Keto days and Friday and Saturday as carb up days in case I have a few drinks. It's been effective as I've leaned up a little bit and not only kept my strength but added on some too. I stay between 2000-2400 kcals depending on if it is a lifting day or not. Yesterday was a off/cardio day so it looked like 2010 kcal from 143g fat, 26g carbs and 147g protein. Foods were brats, 80/20 ground beef, shredded cheese, salsa and some green chilis plus a scoop of protein powder.
    perfect, thanks brotha! Starting this asap, its actually not to bad to manage.
  11. Senior Member
    joh408's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,872
    Rep Power
    441997
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    15.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    No problem, it really isn't too bad to manage if you can handle cutting out stuff like pasta, potatoes and rice. I usually pick up some meats at the beginning of the week to cook and eat throughout the week so I don't have to think about it and I just plug it into MyFitnessPal to make sure I have a good balance of protein and fats. Right now in my fridge I have some kroger hot wings, 4 steaks, 20 hot dogs, 5 brats, 2 pounds of bacon and a dozen extra large eggs plus some frozen burger patties. I also use low carb tortilla wraps if I need to eat something on the way to class. I think they have like 33g of carbs but 26g of fiber so its 7g net carbs
  12. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,801
    Rep Power
    2277182
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Even with doing a TKD, I'd suggest a few days of straight keto before introducing carbs. Always seem to have better results.

    Nothing unhealthy about a strict keto diet, been using it with great success and very health blood work
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  13. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Even with doing a TKD, I'd suggest a few days of straight keto before introducing carbs. Always seem to have better results.

    Nothing unhealthy about a strict keto diet, been using it with great success and very health blood work
    yeah i heard you should wait until you are actually in a ketogenic state before adding carb up days so anywhere between 10-30 days is what i saw. I ahve ketostix on hand so i can test my urine. Also how does this work for bulking? how would i add up my macros to bulk? add more fat and protein im assuming to get more kcal?
  14. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,801
    Rep Power
    2277182
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

    yeah i heard you should wait until you are actually in a ketogenic state before adding carb up days so anywhere between 10-30 days is what i saw. I ahve ketostix on hand so i can test my urine. Also how does this work for bulking? how would i add up my macros to bulk? add more fat and protein im assuming to get more kcal?
    Yeah, it's easier to just keep carbs trace than try and squeeze a few "oh, it only has 5 carbs, it's ok" bc they add up. At least in the beginning.

    Yes, just a larger fat amount mostly. More protein is ok too, but focus on upping fat cals. I've used a TKD based diet this off season and have added close to 20lbs with minimal fat gain.

    Using GDA's like AP, P-Slin or Recompadrol with carbs has allowed for slightly higher carb intake (for more calories) and still remain in ketosis.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  15. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post

    Yeah, it's easier to just keep carbs trace than try and squeeze a few "oh, it only has 5 carbs, it's ok" bc they add up. At least in the beginning.

    Yes, just a larger fat amount mostly. More protein is ok too, but focus on upping fat cals. I've used a TKD based diet this off season and have added close to 20lbs with minimal fat gain.

    Using GDA's like AP, P-Slin or Recompadrol with carbs has allowed for slightly higher carb intake (for more calories) and still remain in ketosis.
    Very nice DW. Alright sounds good because I still want to lean bulk so I'm going to do keto and stay lean to bulk. If I get my fat from read meat a d eggs what's the chances if a calcium build up in my kidneys from the red meat ?
  16. On my grind
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,002
    Rep Power
    1212410
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Re: Keto, how safe is it?


    I get amazing results from keto but find that if im on it for to long my insulin sensitivity actualy suffers.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  17. Professional Member
    EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    1162443
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    44.76%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    I get amazing results from keto but find that if im on it for to long my insulin sensitivity actualy suffers.
    I attempted keto for 2 weeks and holy crap I have never been that depressed before . It was pretty bad I had to carb up and now I feel better. I think I'm going to stay away from keto lol
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Nolva in bacardi - how long is it safe to use?
    By WheyGood in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
  2. Sleep... Just how important is it?
    By dunimous in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
  3. exactly how dangerous is it
    By dargerak1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 03:33 PM
  4. How hard is it to keep gains?
    By ripped22 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:02 PM
  5. Anavar - how mild is it Actually
    By jimmy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in