Advice on cutting - AnabolicMinds.com

Advice on cutting

  1. New Member
    keithgeiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    154
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    14584

    Advice on cutting


    Ok, I will make this simple.. I am 146-148 lbs and probably around 13-14% bf.. I would like to cut into the 9-10% range but I just feel like if I keep cutting cals I would have to get to about 135 lbs? Right now I train 5 days a week and I am taking in 1800 cals on off days and 1800-2100 on training.. But don't know if I should up cals a touch? I get in 160-200 grams protein a day and carb cycle on training and off days, taking in more healthy fats on low/no carb days.. Any advice out there would be much appreciated.....
    P.S. I have been on calorie cut for about 5-6 wks now.. Prolly started in the 16% range?

  2. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,380
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    465993

    are you a girl?
  3. New Member
    DV663's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    75
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    54134

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    are you a girl?
    hahahaha
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    keithgeiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    154
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    14584

    I will take that as a serious question and say no.. I obviously do not want to get to 135 lbs but to drop body fat, I have to hit below maintenance and wondering if I should up the cals a bit?
  5. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,380
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    465993

    it was a serious question. how tall are you?
  6. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,524
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    645670

    Quote Originally Posted by keithgeiling View Post
    Ok, I will make this simple.. I am 146-148 lbs and probably around 13-14% bf.. I would like to cut into the 9-10% range but I just feel like if I keep cutting cals I would have to get to about 135 lbs? Right now I train 5 days a week and I am taking in 1800 cals on off days and 1800-2100 on training.. But don't know if I should up cals a touch? I get in 160-200 grams protein a day and carb cycle on training and off days, taking in more healthy fats on low/no carb days.. Any advice out there would be much appreciated.....
    P.S. I have been on calorie cut for about 5-6 wks now.. Prolly started in the 16% range?

    Personally, and I usually stand alone on this one regardless my research and success at it, I'd say up calories but also up your cardio in a dramatic way.

    Cutting calories will initially get you some fat loss but you will hit the wall and your metabolism will shut down, leaving your body in a catabolic state in which it turns to muscle for energy and chooses to pile up fat at an increased rate due to a starvation effect. Sure, a few hundred calories cut wont hurt too much, but as you continue to cut more and more you will start shutting your metabolism down more and more. It is why keto diets usually leave you almost always smaller in muscle mass. I'm not discrediting their ability to work - they do. But they aren't as effective as other diets, since there are other ways to keep your muscle as you lose fat.

    So with that said, I say eat plenty but not a surplus. You can estimate your MER with a number of plugg n' chugg formulas on the internet. Figure it out and stick with a maintenance level calories while performing more cardio. I'd perform an assortment of cardio of both low and high intensity. Low intensity in the AM before breakfast and HIT in the evening after weight training.
  7. Banned
    kiko_tra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

    Personally, and I usually stand alone on this one regardless my research and success at it, I'd say up calories but also up your cardio in a dramatic way.

    Cutting calories will initially get you some fat loss but you will hit the wall and your metabolism will shut down, leaving your body in a catabolic state in which it turns to muscle for energy and chooses to pile up fat at an increased rate due to a starvation effect. Sure, a few hundred calories cut wont hurt too much, but as you continue to cut more and more you will start shutting your metabolism down more and more. It is why keto diets usually leave you almost always smaller in muscle mass. I'm not discrediting their ability to work - they do. But they aren't as effective as other diets, since there are other ways to keep your muscle as you lose fat.

    So with that said, I say eat plenty but not a surplus. You can estimate your MER with a number of plugg n' chugg formulas on the internet. Figure it out and stick with a maintenance level calories while performing more cardio. I'd perform an assortment of cardio of both low and high intensity. Low intensity in the AM before breakfast and HIT in the evening after weight training.
    hi men
  8. New Member
    keithgeiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    154
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    14584

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    it was a serious question. how tall are you?
    OnionKnight. I am 5-8 and obviously lean but wouldn't consider myself a hard gainer? I am 36 yrs old and been training for little over a year..
  9. New Member
    keithgeiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    154
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    14584

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

    Personally, and I usually stand alone on this one regardless my research and success at it, I'd say up calories but also up your cardio in a dramatic way.

    Cutting calories will initially get you some fat loss but you will hit the wall and your metabolism will shut down, leaving your body in a catabolic state in which it turns to muscle for energy and chooses to pile up fat at an increased rate due to a starvation effect. Sure, a few hundred calories cut wont hurt too much, but as you continue to cut more and more you will start shutting your metabolism down more and more. It is why keto diets usually leave you almost always smaller in muscle mass. I'm not discrediting their ability to work - they do. But they aren't as effective as other diets, since there are other ways to keep your muscle as you lose fat.

    So with that said, I say eat plenty but not a surplus. You can estimate your MER with a number of plugg n' chugg formulas on the internet. Figure it out and stick with a maintenance level calories while performing more cardio. I'd perform an assortment of cardio of both low and high intensity. Low intensity in the AM before breakfast and HIT in the evening after weight training.
    Thanks for reply.. I Definately need to work more cardio in but I guess I didn't know "lower cals, lower cardio or higher cals, higher cardio?
  10. Professional Member
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,524
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    645670

    Well, you do have to have a caloric deficit to burn fat, but u can do it either one of two ways or a combination of both. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to burn 1lb of fat. Divide that into seven days and it takes a 500 calorie deficit per day to burn one pound of fat in a week. U can cut 500 calories below MER per day or u can expend 500 calories above MER per day.

    Problem with cutting calories is that u cause ur body to starve itself, which means that high intensity or anaerobic energy needs will likely be met by amino acids with muscle cells, which means a loss of muscle mass.

    On the other hand, a high expenditure approach gives the muscle all the proper macros to maintain its mass as well as gives u plenty of energy to train hard in the gym allowing for a progress while targeting fat cells for that additional calorie expenditure which is why u want the extra burned calories to be aerobic in nature and even better in the AM before breakfast for the best fat burning results. So, my way allows you to keep the vast majority of ur muscle mass while allowing u to target fat cells almost exclusively for cardio edpenditures. Hence, increase the calories to MER level and increase the cardio.
  11. New Member
    heyhuggy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    53
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    6963

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Well, you do have to have a caloric deficit to burn fat, but u can do it either one of two ways or a combination of both. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to burn 1lb of fat. Divide that into seven days and it takes a 500 calorie deficit per day to burn one pound of fat in a week. U can cut 500 calories below MER per day or u can expend 500 calories above MER per day.

    Problem with cutting calories is that u cause ur body to starve itself, which means that high intensity or anaerobic energy needs will likely be met by amino acids with muscle cells, which means a loss of muscle mass.

    On the other hand, a high expenditure approach gives the muscle all the proper macros to maintain its mass as well as gives u plenty of energy to train hard in the gym allowing for a progress while targeting fat cells for that additional calorie expenditure which is why u want the extra burned calories to be aerobic in nature and even better in the AM before breakfast for the best fat burning results. So, my way allows you to keep the vast majority of ur muscle mass while allowing u to target fat cells almost exclusively for cardio edpenditures. Hence, increase the calories to MER level and increase the cardio.
    This is great info, a lot more people should use this as a foundation!
    Progress leads to success.
  12. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,699
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    3890115

    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Well, you do have to have a caloric deficit to burn fat, but u can do it either one of two ways or a combination of both. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to burn 1lb of fat. Divide that into seven days and it takes a 500 calorie deficit per day to burn one pound of fat in a week. U can cut 500 calories below MER per day or u can expend 500 calories above MER per day.

    Problem with cutting calories is that u cause ur body to starve itself, which means that high intensity or anaerobic energy needs will likely be met by amino acids with muscle cells, which means a loss of muscle mass.

    On the other hand, a high expenditure approach gives the muscle all the proper macros to maintain its mass as well as gives u plenty of energy to train hard in the gym allowing for a progress while targeting fat cells for that additional calorie expenditure which is why u want the extra burned calories to be aerobic in nature and even better in the AM before breakfast for the best fat burning results. So, my way allows you to keep the vast majority of ur muscle mass while allowing u to target fat cells almost exclusively for cardio edpenditures. Hence, increase the calories to MER level and increase the cardio.
    Very well put! This is where I've seen the best results. I carb cycle, 2 high days five low days. I create a deficit with cardio and make sure to hit my correct macros not a cal mark.

    Bean's 1st contest prep (Lecheek last 8 weeks)
    Independent
  13. New Member
    DV663's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    75
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    54134

    just curious, why do you want to weigh 135? At 5'8 you could support much more, thats light a weight almost seems unhealthy
  14. New Member
    keithgeiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    154
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    14584

    Quote Originally Posted by DV663 View Post
    just curious, why do you want to weigh 135? At 5'8 you could support much more, thats light a weight almost seems unhealthy
    Your exactly right.. I just weighed myself this morning and I was 145.5. That's why I was wondering the best method to stay closer to 150 lbs and still lose body fat.. I have been doing 1800 cals but I think I need to up it for sure.. But burning 500 daily might be hard because I usually have time for 50 min to 1 hour gym sessions most times? Maybe I need to work in late night or early morning runs before or after family time needs to happen?
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Advice on cutting ? pasta and brown rice !
    By Gym4Life in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
  2. Need advice on cutting
    By toyoxrunner20 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
  3. Body fat ? and advice on Cutting stacks(photos)
    By myketest1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
  4. Advice On Cutting Stack
    By HITscientist in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in