Eggs

1. Registered User

Eggs

Read that whites have a lower bioavailability than whole eggs. Is it the yolk that is more digestible or is there something in the yolk that aids the digestion?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MJcarter
    Read that whites have a lower bioavailability than whole eggs. Is it the yolk that is more digestible or is there something in the yolk that aids the digestion?
    Heard this as well but never read the study. I kniw yu shouldnt avoid yolks. So much good stuff in there. (7 whole eggs this morning)
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.

Not sure, is there a reason you don't want the yolk?
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.

The "supposed" reason is that we were all kind of brain washed that eggs are bad for you due to fats and cholesterol. The yoke is where these fats are. That's why the yoke tastes so good. Lol
  5. Registered User

But doesent the yolk contains 100% of cholesterol daily value?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MJcarter View Post
    But doesent the yolk contains 100% of cholesterol daily value?
    Ingested cholesterol has no correlation (per se) to your cholesterol levels. Excess calories with cholesterol is what could be the issue. But eating foods that have a lot of fat and cholesterol won't raise your levels on its own.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Ingested cholesterol has no correlation (per se) to your cholesterol levels. Excess calories with cholesterol is what could be the issue. But eating foods that have a lot of fat and cholesterol won't raise your levels on its own.
    Boom.

Sat fat and dietary cholesterol were, erroneously, blamed for years as the culprit for high serum cholesterol.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

stole this from the Egg White International web site....even though it makes no mention of egg white absorbtion vs whole egg, it does make good points about raw vs cooked eggs
    I Force Anabolic Minion, Eat, Train, Grow
    Iforcenutrition.com
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti
    The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

stole this from the Egg White International web site....even though it makes no mention of egg white absorbtion vs whole egg, it does make good points about raw vs cooked eggs
    It doesnt destroy the proteins.. Its jus denatures them
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.

anyone have studies on the bioavailability of protein vs denatured protein? i feel like arguing with my professor next week
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight
    anyone have studies on the bioavailability of protein vs denatured protein? i feel like arguing with my professor next week
    Any meat protein is gnna be denatured.(Assuming you cook your food) Which means itjust get malformred. The protein shape has nothing to do with how your body break its down because either way its gnna be broken down to amino acids.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the egg white itself is not a complete protein and the yoke completes it. I have always been told you need roughly 1 yoke to 6 egg whites to complete the protein. Has anyone else heard this?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by l1fterp1nk View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the egg white itself is not a complete protein and the yoke completes it. I have always been told you need roughly 1 yoke to 6 egg whites to complete the protein. Has anyone else heard this?
    No, there is nothing wrong (and a lot that is good) with eating yokes-but you are wrong on the 'completeness' of the protein
  14. Registered User

Everything I've read on eggs is that (1) large white egg contains aprox. 2/3 of your suggested daily cholesterol intake but that this is in the yellow, which also is more nutrient rich than the white with about the same protein(3-3.5g each). I hard boil 10-12 a day and eat between 8-10 a day but only 2 yellows at most. Gas is terrible though! Lol
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 77sem77 View Post
    Would you like to tell me why you do not like yolk?
    if he's still around from 3 months ago when he posted that
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. egg yolks
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-13-2003, 05:45 AM
  2. Protein Customizers Egg protein
    By Iron Warrior in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 04:48 PM
  3. Replies: 26