carbs and sugars

1. New Member

carbs and sugars

Hi there,
    when in the nutritional panel you get something like:

Per serving:
    CARBS 100 g
    - of sugars 10 g

I thought that all the carbs get broken down into sugars (if not used).
    So, when it comes to count my sugar daily intake, I usually broadly count the "carbs" and not just "the sugars in the carbs".
    Am I wrong?
    Thank you

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Wow your confusing! I think you are asking what portion of carbs do you count when stating the amount of carbs you eat daily. You count them all, to make it easy. Although some Fiber could be deducted.But for your concern count them all.

or you may be wanting to know the amount of sugar you eat.
    In that case, not all carbs are equal. Sugar is sugar. Only count the surgar portion. Some carbs burn fast some slow but all are energy. There is complex and simple. Sugar is a simple carb which is broken down and used quickly compare to complex.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    Wow your confusing! I think you are asking what portion of carbs do you count when stating the amount of carbs you eat daily. You count them all, to make it easy. Although some Fiber could be deducted.But for your concern count them all.

or you may be wanting to know the amount of sugar you eat.
    In that case, not all carbs are equal. Sugar is sugar. Only count the surgar portion. Some carbs burn fast some slow but all are energy. There is complex and simple. Sugar is a simple carb which is broken down and used quickly compare to complex.
    Weeeellll sorta. Glucose and fructose are both 'simple' carbs but on opposite ends of the G.I. scale. Glucose = 100 fructose = 20 IIRC so the term simple and complex are largely outdated for this fundamental reason.

OP; it means that of that 100g sugar; 10g of it is sugar based. Dependant on the product, this will depend on which sugar is in the product
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

if it says 100, count 100. The reason people subtract fiber is that they do not have a profound effect on raising blood sugar. But they do have energy (calories)
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by seasoul View Post
    Hi there,
    when in the nutritional panel you get something like:

Per serving:
    CARBS 100 g
    - of sugars 10 g

I thought that all the carbs get broken down into sugars (if not used).
    So, when it comes to count my sugar daily intake, I usually broadly count the "carbs" and not just "the sugars in the carbs".
    Am I wrong?
    Thank you
    In this case you would count total carbs. A fraction is coming from pure sugar for flavor and the rest is starches which will be broken down by the body into glucose, but when fiber is a part of the total carbohydrates you are supposed to subtract it. This is because the fiber is insoluble and our bodies can't break it down and use it so it simply passes through us. Literally

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    National Level NPC Competitor
    Sponsored Athlete for Muscle Gauge Nutrition
    www.facebook.com/VanessaValdez.National.Competi tor
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Weeeellll sorta. Glucose and fructose are both 'simple' carbs but on opposite ends of the G.I. scale. Glucose = 100 fructose = 20 IIRC so the term simple and complex are largely outdated for this fundamental reason.

OP; it means that of that 100g sugar; 10g of it is sugar based. Dependant on the product, this will depend on which sugar is in the product
    You are 100% correct with that. I was trying to keep it very simple for him. I ve noticed if I try to explain too much then the follow ups get crazy because people get confused.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    You are 100% correct with that. I was trying to keep it very simple for him. I ve noticed if I try to explain too much then the follow ups get crazy because people get confused.
    Oh right, I see. Fair enough
  8. New Member

Hi thanks for the replies.
    Yes, now I am a little bit confused.

In the nutritional panel of this BREAD there are:
    - Carbs 100 g
    - of which Sugars 10 g
    I am not considering fibers, fat etc.

If you do NOT use all the carbs they will be broken down into sugars.
    So, in the above example, 90 g will be broken down in sugar (as the other 10 g are already sugar).
    My question is: are the sugars coming from the starch (90 g) the same types of the 10 g of pure sugars?

Thanks cheers
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

All sugar is the same in your body and all carbs minus fiber will be broken down into sugar
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

Absolutely not true.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bj22 View Post
    Absolutely not true.
    wow, that was productive. Instead of offering something worthless like that, and since you seem to have the "correct" information, why don't you enlighten us with your wisdom
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post

wow, that was productive. Instead of offering something worthless like that, and since you seem to have the "correct" information, why don't you enlighten us with your wisdom

Search function? Google?
    I am not going to waste my time explaining how the body metabolizes different sugars and the subsequent role in body function when there is more than ample information available for those that care about that sort of thing. Go read up before posting answers to inquiries you are unfamiliar with.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Search function? Google?
    I am not going to waste my time explaining how the body metabolizes different sugars and the subsequent role in body function when there is more than ample information available for those that care about that sort of thing. Go read up before posting answers to inquiries you are unfamiliar with.
    Again, not helpful. Probably just scrap this whole forum since its all on Google. When people write answers like yours and then back it up by saying search the internet, it demonstrates arrogance combined with ignorance. So thanks again for your contribution.

Now as such, although on a molecular and cellular level, there are some differences in, for example, glucose vs fructose metabolism. But in terms of insulin and glucagon, response and fat gain or loss, sugars are converted to glucose then stored in muscle tissue and/or converted to bodyfat.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Again, not helpful. Probably just scrap this whole forum since its all on Google. When people write answers like yours and then back it up by saying search the internet, it demonstrates arrogance combined with ignorance. So thanks again for your contribution.

Now as such, although on a molecular and cellular level, there are some differences in, for example, glucose vs fructose metabolism. But in terms of insulin and glucagon, response and fat gain or loss, sugars are converted to glucose then stored in muscle tissue and/or converted to bodyfat.
    In the liver and blood as well or metabolised as energy. The least likely pathway for a carb is to be stored as fat
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Search function? Google?
    You can google anything so what would the purpose of a forum be? Google holds very contradictory views as people often re-post only what they have been taught without themselves researching.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

yescarbs get broken down into sugars but not all carbs start off that way
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. carbs and sugar in different skim milk
    By seasoul in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM
  2. not eating carbs and fat at the same time
    By tommy91z in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 12:23 AM
  3. low carbs and bulking clean