Any kefir fans on the forum? - AnabolicMinds.com

Any kefir fans on the forum?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Any kefir fans on the forum?

As I mixed up my post workout smoothie & started surfing AM, I started to wonder if anybody else ever used kefir. If you don't what it is, it's basically cultured milk. You can buy it commercially pre-made at the store or you can make your own, which is what I do. Way cheaper & healthier in my opinion. Almost twice the protein as regular milk & billions of healthy probiotics.. What more could you ask for! Feel free to chime in if you use or have tried it.

2. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Re: Any kefir fans on the forum?

How does it taste?

My grocery store recently added a small section of them. I noticed it when I was buying my yogurt and almost grabbed a bottle but didn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    How does it taste?

My grocery store recently added a small section of them. I noticed it when I was buying my yogurt and almost grabbed a bottle but didn't.

The commercial pre-flavored ones are pretty good.. The stuff that I "grow", It has kind of a bitter taste, very comparable to plain Greek yogurt. I usually mix mine in with other stuff to sort of mask the bitterness, but it isn't bad. If you're a fan of Greek yogurt, ideally.. You should like it. The health benefits outweigh the taste in my opinion.
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

any links on "growing" your own? Or would you mind further explain on how you do it?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

any links on "growing" your own? Or would you mind further explain on how you do it?
    Absolutely. There are plenty of links & methods all over google, but it is fairly simple. I bought some kefir grains off of amazon, which is basically a starter kit to grow. There are ways to make it from Greek yogurt, but I use the grains. I fill a mason jar full of organic 2% milk (doesn't really matter on fat content), rubber and a coffee filter over the top of it. Let it sit at room temperature, preferably in a darker place, for about 2-3 days. The milk will start to become thicker & that's your indication to drain. Strain the milk into a container. I use rubber cap spreader to help strain. But your end result is kefir milk, & the grains actually grow more each time you make more. You can either use those to use more mason jars or what I do sometimes is take the excess grains & blend them up in my shakes. The grains themselves almost look like small cauliflower. Some may think its a difficult process, but it is well worth it once you get going & get used to it. Your gut will surely appreciate it. lol
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

How does it taste?

same here. i'm curious though
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Bump for any more curiosity. lol
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by pow_wow41 View Post

Absolutely. There are plenty of links & methods all over google, but it is fairly simple. I bought some kefir grains off of amazon, which is basically a starter kit to grow. There are ways to make it from Greek yogurt, but I use the grains. I fill a mason jar full of organic 2% milk (doesn't really matter on fat content), rubber and a coffee filter over the top of it. Let it sit at room temperature, preferably in a darker place, for about 2-3 days. The milk will start to become thicker & that's your indication to drain. Strain the milk into a container. I use rubber cap spreader to help strain. But your end result is kefir milk, & the grains actually grow more each time you make more. You can either use those to use more mason jars or what I do sometimes is take the excess grains & blend them up in my shakes. The grains themselves almost look like small cauliflower. Some may think its a difficult process, but it is well worth it once you get going & get used to it. Your gut will surely appreciate it. lol
    Very interesting
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post

Very interesting
    Definitely. If you were wanting to give a go, I'd definitely try the store bought flavored, & then plain to see if you can tolerate it. I personally like it to add with other stuff, not so much by itself but to each his own. The woman thinks I'm crazy for liking it but hey, she's not a fan of Greek yogurt either.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pow_wow41 View Post

Definitely. If you were wanting to give a go, I'd definitely try the store bought flavored, & then plain to see if you can tolerate it. I personally like it to add with other stuff, not so much by itself but to each his own. The woman thinks I'm crazy for liking it but hey, she's not a fan of Greek yogurt either.
    I may pick some up today actually
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post

I may pick some up today actually
    Well, lemme know how it goes for ya!
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I always see it but never thought twice about it, I might give it a shot.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    I always see it but never thought twice about it, I might give it a shot.
    Can't hurt to try!
  14. Professional Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Squats do a booty good.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gokix811 View Post
    Never heard of this. Is this it?
    Sure is! That is originally what I started out using, brand and all, before making my own. Life way also makes flavored versions. Although the probiotic profile is not as profound, it is still a healthy option.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Had a glass this morning,low-fat plain taste like greek yogurt but alittle more tangy.I usally drink it with some fruit or use it poat w/o as casien base to whey.Its diffently a acquired taste.Never had the flavored versions of it but theres alot out there.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 67nova View Post
    Had a glass this morning,low-fat plain taste like greek yogurt but alittle more tangy.I usally drink it with some fruit or use it poat w/o as casien base to whey.Its diffently a acquired taste.Never had the flavored versions of it but theres alot out there.
    Yep, best general way to describe it. I mix my post WO smoothie with half a cup of kefir & half a cup of regular milk. Evens out the taste & texture.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I started buying the Lifeway Kefir from the store in November. Gingerbread cookie flavor, which I don't think will be back until next November. Switched to raspberry flavor which is also really good. I drink it everyday, a couple swigs to wash down my probiotic caps.

I've never done any research on that particular brand but I just kept it simple and invested $3.

------------

Well, a quick google search and I find this on kefirpedia.org regarding grocery store kefir:

"It is a shelf-stable approximation of kefir. The only way to get real kefir is to obtain some grains and ferment it yourself. Real kefir has considerably more microflora and microflora diversity than anything you can find in the store." It's nothing official or scientific but it makes me wonder......

The store bought stuff seemed to have a positive impact on digestion and reduced puffiness of the skin, giving a dryer look all the time (kind of like being on an AI) --- so, I can't want to grow my own and see what glory is in store.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutztenways View Post
    I started buying the Lifeway Kefir from the store in November. Gingerbread cookie flavor, which I don't think will be back until next November. Switched to raspberry flavor which is also really good. I drink it everyday, a couple swigs to wash down my probiotic caps.

I've never done any research on that particular brand but I just kept it simple and invested $3.

------------

Well, a quick google search and I find this on kefirpedia.org regarding grocery store kefir:

"It is a shelf-stable approximation of kefir. The only way to get real kefir is to obtain some grains and ferment it yourself. Real kefir has considerably more microflora and microflora diversity than anything you can find in the store." It's nothing official or scientific but it makes me wonder......

The store bought stuff seemed to have a positive impact on digestion and reduced puffiness of the skin, giving a dryer look all the time (kind of like being on an AI) --- so, I can't want to grow my own and see what glory is in store.
    The store bought is definitely a good option if that is your only choice or if growing is too big of a hassle. The stuff I grow is something I incorporate into my everyday life. Digestion has never been better, gut & overall health have been on the rise, & the bitterness adds a great flavor to my shakes & oat bran!
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.

Post good kefir site

google marilyn kefir lady she sells great kefir grains and has good info
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 12:40 AM
  2. Any positive reviews on the new M-drol batch?
    By sciencegeek in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
  3. Any final verdicts on the m-drol m1,4add debate
    By A_I_Sports_Nutrition in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
  4. The Ban and PH Discussions on the Forums
    By milwood in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 02:13 PM
  5. Replies: 1