New tactic for achieving six pack?

  1. Registered User
    hawkhamilton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  194 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    39

    New tactic for achieving six pack?


    I do resistance/weights 4 times a week for 60-90 mins (mostly super sets), and for the last couple of months have added 10 mins of HIIT to the end of each workout. Been doing IF from 9:30pm to 1:00pm 6-7 days a week for six months, too. Results? Dropped two points in BF (10% down to 8% on DEXA), and lots of great feedback about looking better, but still not cut in my abs. Started working my abs harder, but I'm thinking this is more about eating. Should I cut cals (haven't done big deficits on a daily basis since advice has been that will eat more muscle than fat)? What new tack should I take or should I just expect a sow climb to my six pack goal over the next six months if I stick with my exercise routine and IF?

  2. Registered User
    PuZo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,440
    Rep Power
    409376

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkhamilton View Post
    I do resistance/weights 4 times a week for 60-90 mins (mostly super sets), and for the last couple of months have added 10 mins of HIIT to the end of each workout. Been doing IF from 9:30pm to 1:00pm 6-7 days a week for six months, too. Results? Dropped two points in BF (10% down to 8% on DEXA), and lots of great feedback about looking better, but still not cut in my abs. Started working my abs harder, but I'm thinking this is more about eating. Should I cut cals (haven't done big deficits on a daily basis since advice has been that will eat more muscle than fat)? What new tack should I take or should I just expect a sow climb to my six pack goal over the next six months if I stick with my exercise routine and IF?
    Abs is most definitely about your diet. Go on a small cut for a while and see how it works for you. You will obviously lose a bit of muscle but it all depends on your workouts.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  3. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33852

    Also would mention that your feeding window may be a bit too big?

    Perhaps try to shorten it to about ~6 hours?
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,087
    Rep Power
    918008

    If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188233

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.
    Lol, yes
  6. Registered User
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188233

    OP, what are you doing to train your abs?


    If you're not already try adding weighted cable crunches and wood choppers.
  7. Registered User
    Cary K's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ridgeway, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,392
    Rep Power
    360851

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.
    I've read that <10% BF is when your abs show more
    After a year off, I'm back
  8. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33852

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.
    Granted, it was caliper measurement for me, but I'm at 9% right now and I still am unable to have the bottom abs showing. It is just that ALL of my fat is held there.

    I have veins all over my arms, my calves, even chest and shoulders, but no lower ab visibility.

    Which reminds me, should probably start a new topic on this.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,087
    Rep Power
    918008

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Granted, it was caliper measurement for me, but I'm at 9% right now and I still am unable to have the bottom abs showing. It is just that ALL of my fat is held there.

    I have veins all over my arms, my calves, even chest and shoulders, but no lower ab visibility.

    Which reminds me, should probably start a new topic on this.
    The lower abs, lower back, and glutes are generally the last places for fat to mobilize. Without going to mid single-digits, most won't see these areas.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,344
    Rep Power
    96626

    Also you need to have some patience especially when you attempt going sub-10%; fat loss slows down massively.
  11. Registered User
    blaykeryan's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    33502

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    OP, what are you doing to train your abs?

    If you're not already try adding weighted cable crunches and wood choppers.
    Cable crunches are great for abs..my lower abs don't show either, lately laying leg raises has helped though...but I eat way to much for my abs to fully show ha
  12. Registered User
    Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colt's Country, Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    175946

    Correct me if I'm wrong... But wouldn't running an AI like erase possibly help? I've read that people with high estrogen hold fat in their thighs and Lower stomach area? Is that correct or no?
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,087
    Rep Power
    918008

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzie88 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong... But wouldn't running an AI like erase possibly help? I've read that people with high estrogen hold fat in their thighs and Lower stomach area? Is that correct or no?
    At his BF% levels, his estrogen will not be high, but it will help those in the high teens or above.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The hood
    Posts
    9,616
    Rep Power
    2037231

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If you're actually at 8% and don't have visibly cut abs, then it's because you need to build them more.
    This^^^^

    As someone who has done minimal AB work over the years this is a huge factor.

    You may think you're training them but you're blasting your hip flexors. ( common occurrence)

    My fold on abs maybe similar to my quads but my quads are HUGE & well developed and I see razor cuts in them before I'll see any Ab separation.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  15. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,621
    Rep Power
    1541316

    Look up on YouTube


    Candlestick abdominals

    Do those and work on front levers as well

    Then physioball crunches with glutes held tight so your hips don't dip

    Super set them
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  16. Registered User
    Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colt's Country, Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    175946

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    At his BF% levels, his estrogen will not be high, but it will help those in the high teens or above.
    Sweet. So the logic is correct just not the correct application.
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  17. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33852

    I do those candlesticks with my abs workouts as well, will continue to try to decrease BF
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  18. Registered User
    Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colt's Country, Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    175946

    Why dont you post a pic...if you feel comfortable?
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  19. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33852

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzie88 View Post
    Why dont you post a pic...if you feel comfortable?
    Name:  AM.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  47.7 KB

    Was just about to haha, had it on another post of mine. This is past 28 days of a hardcore cut doing leangains / carb backload mix.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  20. Registered User
    CincyKiller45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,377
    Rep Power
    153290

    Planks, cable crunches, dragon flys, hanging leg raises, sledge hammer tire slams, heavy squats and heavy deadlifts have done wonders for my mid section. Two of the most common things I see people do wrong are perform the exercises too fast, or neglect to increase weight, reps, or duration(planks).
  21. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,621
    Rep Power
    1541316

    Look closer to 12% IMO. Keep dropping fat


    Take a look at my thread I have I'm about 10.5 according to bio electrical impedance

    Keep working I was stuck then the holidays ****ed me

    But I also ended up gaining 1.5 lbs in lbm
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  22. Registered User
    Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colt's Country, Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    175946

    Checked your pics out EFB. That's some sick ink. Same artist for the majority or various artists spread out?
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  23. Registered User
    Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colt's Country, Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    175946

    That's where I am at. Going to get a bodpod measurement before I start my New Years cut next week.
    Name:  image-71083132.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  394.5 KB
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  24. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,621
    Rep Power
    1541316

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzie88
    Checked your pics out EFB. That's some sick ink. Same artist for the majority or various artists spread out?
    Left side and stomach same artist. Right side different bc I covered a tribal on shoulder
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  25. Registered User
    Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colt's Country, Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,562
    Rep Power
    175946

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post

    Left side and stomach same artist. Right side different bc I covered a tribal on shoulder
    Looks good. Like the b/w skulls with the red roses. Check out this shop..

    http://www.buenavistatattooclub.de/t...trash_polka/0/
    I almost went there to get work done when I lived in England.
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  26. Registered User
    WPChickDiesel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    44495

    Well many people can achieve a "flat" stomach that looks nice and tight and be super lean, but just lack the mature development of the abdominals in general. One should begin adding various weight resistance moves to target the abs and work them several times a week. If that isnt the case, then yes....diet.diet.diet.
    With the long period of fasting and a very high total weekly caloric expenditure, you may not be refueling sufficiently enough to rebuild muscle and continue burning fat. 2% body fat loss is not a lot and considering your output from activities, i'd expect to see more. You might need to add calories instead of decreasing them. Look at your current deficit and decide from there.

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    National Level NPC Competitor
    Sponsored Athlete for Muscle Gauge Nutrition
    www.facebook.com/VanessaValdez.National.Competi tor
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,087
    Rep Power
    918008

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post

    Was just about to haha, had it on another post of mine. This is past 28 days of a hardcore cut doing leangains / carb backload mix.
    That look higher to me than single digits. At that point, you should have marked definition in your serratus in addition to your abs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Registered User
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48008

    How much abs one can see at what body fat is more about genetics rather than body fat. THere are ppl with 12%bf that can see abs and some others with 8 are still flat. It all depends where you store your fat on your body.
    I think the mirror is a much better way to adjust training and nutrition to achieve a goal, rather than bother with body fat measurments. I mean those are fine for kicks and gigles but in the end the mirror doesnt lie.
  29. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,087
    Rep Power
    918008

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    How much abs one can see at what body fat is more about genetics rather than body fat. THere are ppl with 12%bf that can see abs and some others with 8 are still flat. It all depends where you store your fat on your body.
    I think the mirror is a much better way to adjust training and nutrition to achieve a goal, rather than bother with body fat measurments. I mean those are fine for kicks and gigles but in the end the mirror doesnt lie.
    This depends more on the development of the abs themselves. I've seen PL'ers at 15-17%, but look much lower because of all of the heavy ab training that is involved.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
  3. 'Gym pill' for a no-work six-pack
    By Smokey69 in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
  4. new tricks for old dogs?
    By MrTrap in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 05:02 PM
  5. New Drug for DHT Blocking
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2003, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in