once you hit macros, where to put extra cals?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. once you hit macros, where to put extra cals?


    This is something that really has been bothering me for a while........now i know protein requirements vary but a decent way of thinking is 1g/lb/bw .........then a decent amount of fats and carbs........but what do you do when you are taking in 4500-5000 cals? This is my issue


    Ialso try to follow a carb cycling diet so on a low carb day how the heck do i get in that many cals without having rediculously high protein? I have been taking in tons of protein upwards of 300g easy on low carb days ifnot 400gs...... and fats are well over 200g as well. If I were to use the 1g/lb I woudl only take 160-165 g protein and minimal carbs so id have to have like 400g of fat.......that jsut does not seem right.....andon high carb days carbs would have to be like 800g.......that again just doesnot seem right for someone of my body size..........

    input?


  2. Wat are ur stats. 4500-5000 is alot
    •   
       


  3. 5'9 160-165, bulking, very active, high volume workouts, been slowly gaining for the past few months.....

  4. Carbs to me are easier to meet my cal goal after minimums are met but im around 3k

  5. yea like it just seems crazy to eat 400g fat lol and i like protein!!!! and i cant justify eeating liek 800g carbs everyday at my bodyweight ya know....but i dont want to hurt my body by consistently taking in 300+ g protein

  6. I both highly doubt you need that many calories and that you're actually consuming that many.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  7. Do you really feel the need for that many cals? My natural tdee is low so i never need more than 3k to build new mass, and i struggle with that lol

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I both highly doubt you need that many calories and that you're actually consuming that many.
    This.

    But then again you might be an olympic rower. Curious as to what you do that would require so many calories?

  9. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    yea like it just seems crazy to eat 400g fat lol and i like protein!!!! and i cant justify eeating liek 800g carbs everyday at my bodyweight ya know....but i dont want to hurt my body by consistently taking in 300+ g protein
    I've done the 300+gr of fat before. Cook everything in oil and a couple TBS of Peanut butter for dessert....with every meal. It's possible but not very practical.

    Over the years I've learned to manipulate it kind of like a "carb backload" with a pre/intra/post shake (1 big shake) with a solid meal after. I simply eat the same without the carbs on "off days"
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  10. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    yea like it just seems crazy to eat 400g fat lol and i like protein!!!! and i cant justify eeating liek 800g carbs everyday at my bodyweight ya know....but i dont want to hurt my body by consistently taking in 300+ g protein
    You aren't going to hurt yourself with 300+ g protein/day
    •   
       


  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I both highly doubt you need that many calories and that you're actually consuming that many.
    x2.

    OP, I know metabolisms are different and I've known guys who could eat a horse a day and not gain any fat but I bulk with fewer calories than that and I haven't seen the lighter side of 220lbs in a few years.

    I would experiment reducing your calories to a level in line with your macro requirements or slightly over and monitor progress for 6 weeks or so.

  12. Very active, high volume + bulk and wanting to eat up to 5,000 cals? You are going to have to up your protein to 1.5-2 g/lb and increase your carbs. If you are worried about adding to much fat, decrease your cals. Start at 20 X's your body weight with 45-50% coming from carbs, 30-35 from protein, and 20% from fats. If you want to carb cycle, simply eliminate your high carb post workout meal on your non training days and increase fats and protein slightly on those days.
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME

  13. thanks for all the input guys i really apprecateit and i havent gainedthat fast consuming thatmuch......also i dont consume that much EVERY day like today is at 4100 cuz it goes by my activity....some days i do alot more than others.......... so i do feel that i am using it sicne i haent put on too much badweight gianedabout 12-13 lbsin like 3 months, taht sems pretty healthy

  14. OP can you lay out your diet for me?

    I am 6'2" - 220lbs and I can gain on 3000 cals. I am at 3200 right now and gaining good. Are you measuring everything with a scale and measuring cups. What is the quality of the food you are eating and supplements are you on.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

  15. And a routine outline? If you're hitting the weights and eating like that you should definitely see some gains. Something is off.

  16. Not everyone's required calories (relative to their current goal) are going to fall in line with their calculated BMR/TDEE. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and maintain at ~4500 calories. Besides the OP's metabolism and activity level being a factor, there could be absorption issues as well.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  17. Quote Originally Posted by breezy11
    Not everyone's required calories (relative to their current goal) are going to fall in line with their calculated BMR/TDEE. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and maintain at ~4500 calories. Besides the OP's metabolism and activity level being a factor, there could be absorption issues as well.
    Agreed. While bulking i put on fat at 2700-2800 cals. Im 5'6" at 183. My tdee is 2700 cals reportedly.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    And a routine outline? If you're hitting the weights and eating like that you should definitely see some gains. Something is off.
    i am seeing gains

  19. Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    OP can you lay out your diet for me?

    I am 6'2" - 220lbs and I can gain on 3000 cals. I am at 3200 right now and gaining good. Are you measuring everything with a scale and measuring cups. What is the quality of the food you are eating and supplements are you on.
    first off i do measure with a scale and measuring cups........

    todays meal....

    1 cup oats with 1/2 apple, 1 ozblueberries 1.25 cups almond milk

    2 eggs
    1sliceffcheese
    8 egg whites
    4 slicescanadian bacon
    6oz raw chicken mixed with veggies and 1 cup pasta sauce
    4ozavocado
    2.25 Tblspn oil
    4 oz polish sausage
    2 chicken sausages
    2ozhummus
    1/2 cup macand cheese
    3 oz cookedgrilled chicken
    green beans
    2 poptarts
    1 cup butterfinger ice cream
    1 chobani rasperryyogurt
    1 scoop of golden gains in almond milk with a TBLSP of PB
    3/4 cup FF cotttage cheese
    1 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1slice of protein cheese cake (its the recipe that floats around on here)

  20. Quote Originally Posted by hossjob View Post
    Very active, high volume + bulk and wanting to eat up to 5,000 cals? You are going to have to up your protein to 1.5-2 g/lb and increase your carbs. If you are worried about adding to much fat, decrease your cals. Start at 20 X's your body weight with 45-50% coming from carbs, 30-35 from protein, and 20% from fats. If you want to carb cycle, simply eliminate your high carb post workout meal on your non training days and increase fats and protein slightly on those days.
    Good info right here!
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com

  21. How active are you on a daily basis? I.e. what do you do to burn that much? In line with what breezy said; if you really arnt active on a day-to-day basis that requires so many kcals but yet you need to consume them, maybe get that checked out.

    On the other hand, if you are that active then dammmmmmmn your grocery bill going to get huge once you get huge haha

  22. well..my workouts are very high volume and last around 3 hs, doa 10-15 min warmup plus cardio after and i was doing "cardio" ALOT becuase i woudl study while on the elipticalto keep me awakesoi wasbring ALOTof cals doin that

  23. Why in the **** are you training for 3 hours?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  24. Stop training for 3 hours and doing cardio after every workout. That's ridiculous. No wonder you have to eat so many calories. TBH, when I lowered my volume and decreased my workout times to 45-60 minutes I noticed the greatest gains.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    well..my workouts are very high volume and last around 3 hs, doa 10-15 min warmup plus cardio after and i was doing "cardio" ALOT becuase i woudl study while on the elipticalto keep me awakesoi wasbring ALOTof cals doin that
    Can you outline your routine?

  26. meant to put 2 hours...........

    today was chest/abs/tris

    banded explosive bench 10 sets of 3
    banded bench 4 sets of 10
    reg bench 4 sets of 10
    incline bench 4 sets of 10
    decline bench 4 sets of 10
    4 sets of BW dips
    4 sets decline machine
    4 sets of DB flys
    4 sets of pullovers
    pulse up leg raise 100 reps total with ankle weights
    leg raises 1 reps total with ankle weights
    rope crunches
    rope pressodwns 4sets drop on last set
    rev grip pressdown 4 sets drop on last set..............ye ai know i should cutdown volume.........i do like eating so much though haha

  27. Way too much. Youre doing 58 sets for chest per workout. Theres no need to do every possible exercise for chest in one session haha

    I say cut back on volume and reduce your cardio to just a couple times a week. You burning all those calories and not making up for them is pretty counterintuitive of your bulking. Unless of course you are making them up but having to eat 4000+ kcal to do so.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  28. The whole routine. How do you have the energy for 150 bench press reps? My initial thoughts are either you're doing it wrong or I reaally need to experiment with a **** ton of food!
    Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    meant to put 2 hours...........

    today was chest/abs/tris

    banded explosive bench 10 sets of 3
    banded bench 4 sets of 10
    reg bench 4 sets of 10
    incline bench 4 sets of 10
    decline bench 4 sets of 10
    4 sets of BW dips
    4 sets decline machine
    4 sets of DB flys
    4 sets of pullovers
    pulse up leg raise 100 reps total with ankle weights
    leg raises 1 reps total with ankle weights
    rope crunches
    rope pressodwns 4sets drop on last set
    rev grip pressdown 4 sets drop on last set..............ye ai know i should cutdown volume.........i do like eating so much though haha

  29. I can tell without a doubt that you're not anywhere the strength level to where you will benefit from accommodating resistance on your bench and they sure as hell aren't to be used for a set of 10.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  30. i usually use the bands for spedreps(sets of 3) of in the 6-8 range but changd itup today.............and i knwo its too much but i honestlyliek eating soo much food and i think thatsyi do so much soi can eatthat much....kind of a vicious cycle.....
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Please read, didnt know where to put this
    By ephedroman in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 11:24 PM
  2. didnt know where to put this so i guessed :)
    By just93 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
  3. Dont know where to put this but take a look!
    By just93 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Log in
Log in