Weigh food cooked or uncooked? - AnabolicMinds.com

Weigh food cooked or uncooked?

  1. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Weigh food cooked or uncooked?


    So I just bought me a scale so that I can weight my chicken breasts and ground beef.
    Only thing is I don't know if I should weight my food cooked or uncooked?
    Also about 4 oz of ground beef is generally 20 g of protein.... is this cooked or uncooked?
    And are chicken breasts the same as the ground beef in the fact that 4 oz equals around 20 g of protein as well?

  2. Senior Member
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Rep Power
    251876

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Go by what the label says. Usually they say cooked/uncooked. If not, my gut instinct is to go with cooked weight. I love my food scale.

    -OS-Team App Nut
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  3. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Only problem is that my meat doesn't have a food label
    •   
       

  4. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,836
    Rep Power
    2105225

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Depends on where you are getting your nutritional info from. If you use a internet food log like fit day or something similar it should specify raw or cooked
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Well all my food has labels except the meat lol
    I dont use a nutritional log online
  6. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    Go by what the label says. Usually they say cooked/uncooked. If not, my gut instinct is to go with cooked weight. I love my food scale.

    -OS-Team App Nut

    What food scale do you use?
  7. Senior Member
    Killerkanadia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,861
    Rep Power
    9476

    Reputation

    If its on the meat package itself, it would be a safe bet that it's uncooked. Kind of like the hamburgers im grilling right now. They may have 20g of fat, but when i grill them for 20 minutes, its gonna melt/burn off a lot of it. The protein should stay relatively the same.
  8. Banned
    ThunderHumper's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    the labels usually refer to uncooked. take rice for example. one cup of uncooked turns into like 6 cups cooked
  9. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerkanadia View Post
    If its on the meat package itself, it would be a safe bet that it's uncooked. Kind of like the hamburgers im grilling right now. They may have 20g of fat, but when i grill them for 20 minutes, its gonna melt/burn off a lot of it. The protein should stay relatively the same.
    But it won't melt off any protein right? lol
  10. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    The butcher shop weighs it raw so their weights are raw, you lose fat and water weight during cooking
  11. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    I'm just gonna go with " 6 g of protein / oz of raw meat"
  12. New Member
    jerrysiii's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    19859

    Reputation

    Meats would typically be measured raw. However, consistency is really what is important. In other words, if you measure cooked, always measure cooked. The first couple weeks are the only ones that matter in terms of diet design. From there you make relative changes so it really doesn't matter how you measure as long as you are consistent.
  13. New Member
    python93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    1634

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysiii View Post
    Meats would typically be measured raw. However, consistency is really what is important. In other words, if you measure cooked, always measure cooked. The first couple weeks are the only ones that matter in terms of diet design. From there you make relative changes so it really doesn't matter how you measure as long as you are consistent.
    Yeah I usually measure raw. The thing is how many grams of protein/oz of raw chicken are in there?
  14. New Member
    jerrysiii's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    19859

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by python93

    Yeah I usually measure raw. The thing is how many grams of protein/oz of raw chicken are in there?
    nutritiondata.self. com/facts/poultry-products/701/2
  15. New Member
    arminius_josh's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    23

    Reputation

    Cooked or Uncooked - there is an App for that


    To measure carbs and protein with or without a scale, try out the free mobile app I created (I'm a competitive bodybuilder) now on iTunes or Google Play which converts both Carbs and Protein for "cooked" and "uncooked" to make your life easier. Also, I included Cups (in addition to oz, grams, lbs). Search for Bodybuilding Food Calculator in the App stores or google it.
  16. New Member
    jerrysiii's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    19859

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by arminius_josh
    To measure carbs and protein with or without a scale, try out the free mobile app I created (I'm a competitive bodybuilder) now on iTunes or Google Play which converts both Carbs and Protein for "cooked" and "uncooked" to make your life easier. Also, I included Cups (in addition to oz, grams, lbs). Search for Bodybuilding Food Calculator in the App stores or google it.
    Cool. I'll check it out.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Weighing Food (chicken)
    By FitModel in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM
  2. Should I avoid foods cooked with vegetable (soybean) oil?
    By TheAnimalG in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM
  3. how to measure rice?..before cook or after?
    By BoyFromAus in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
  4. UCP1, with or without food?
    By FullyBuilt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 11:40 AM
  5. Eat unhealthy food, or not eating at all?
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-2002, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in