Please help bulking- very underweight gained 10 pounds this month

Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by coolguy1993 View Post
    Thanks very much, yeah I will try option 1 that seems smart
    Hey so one more thing- I had my first cheat day yesterday
    How exactly do cheat days work and how can I minimise the damage?
    I went on a night out, ended up drinking 4 pints of Guinness, lots of Jack Daniels and coke, a six inch italian bmt sub and 4 subway cookies (the cookies was a huge mistake both to diet and nearly making me throw up). This is probably going to mess up some progress so I definately need to be clean until xmas.
    How can you fit cheat dys and social obligations into a routine?
    I think you have too much info going around in your head haha.

If you are bulking, even slowly, an occasional cheat meal or two a week wont kill you. Eat some pizza and enjoy it! Just use it as extra inspiration to go a bit harder at the gym next session. I try not do cheat days per say but cheat meals. When I'm bulking one to two cheat meals a week is okay. Since you are so skinny i would not worry soooo much about cheat meals. Just dont make every day a cheat day.

If your're bulking, dont worry so much about booze. They are more damaging to your goals when you are cutting. If you get tanked once or twice a month it shoulnd't be too bad. From what i understand though, alcohol stops fat burning for about 24 hours and protein synthesis (muscle building) while it is in your system. Just keep that in mind. If you dont want to gain fat just have a lower caloie day filled with lean protien and salad. That will make up for the extra calories from the booze. If you can drink spirits with diet soda. Much better than all that ****ty sugar.

As far as fitting cheat dys and social obligations into a routine goes, its somthing you have to work out. Sometimes it cant be avoided. If you know you have an event where your are supposed to eat a lot comming up, try eating a bit cleaner one or two days before and hitting the gym hard if you can before the event so you can use it as your post workout meal. This will help. If you cant get to the gym that day, just increase the volume (more sets) of your workouts slightly (2 extra sets per exersise) for the 3 days prior. Use the cheat day as a rest day and the extra food will help you grow.

As far as fitting take out food in when your out with friends its just up to choosing the best option available. At subway ask for double meat on wheat bread. I like roast chicken myself if im being good, or the crumbed chicken if im being bad. Just make sure you get a good serving of protein with your meal. If you make good choices like subway you will be sweet.

I hope that made sense. Its quite late here and there is a fair bit of info there.

Id like to offer to help again though and give you something you can follow. As soon as you have enough posts to do private messages, hit me up. I'll help you out and help you get everything sorted-from meal plans and recipies to workout plans.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html

2. Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
    I think you have too much info going around in your head haha.

If you are bulking, even slowly, an occasional cheat meal or two a week wont kill you. Eat some pizza and enjoy it! Just use it as extra inspiration to go a bit harder at the gym next session. I try not do cheat days per say but cheat meals. When I'm bulking one to two cheat meals a week is okay. Since you are so skinny i would not worry soooo much about cheat meals. Just dont make every day a cheat day.

If your're bulking, dont worry so much about booze. They are more damaging to your goals when you are cutting. If you get tanked once or twice a month it shoulnd't be too bad. From what i understand though, alcohol stops fat burning for about 24 hours and protein synthesis (muscle building) while it is in your system. Just keep that in mind. If you dont want to gain fat just have a lower caloie day filled with lean protien and salad. That will make up for the extra calories from the booze. If you can drink spirits with diet soda. Much better than all that ****ty sugar.

As far as fitting cheat dys and social obligations into a routine goes, its somthing you have to work out. Sometimes it cant be avoided. If you know you have an event where your are supposed to eat a lot comming up, try eating a bit cleaner one or two days before and hitting the gym hard if you can before the event so you can use it as your post workout meal. This will help. If you cant get to the gym that day, just increase the volume (more sets) of your workouts slightly (2 extra sets per exersise) for the 3 days prior. Use the cheat day as a rest day and the extra food will help you grow.

As far as fitting take out food in when your out with friends its just up to choosing the best option available. At subway ask for double meat on wheat bread. I like roast chicken myself if im being good, or the crumbed chicken if im being bad. Just make sure you get a good serving of protein with your meal. If you make good choices like subway you will be sweet.

I hope that made sense. Its quite late here and there is a fair bit of info there.

Id like to offer to help again though and give you something you can follow. As soon as you have enough posts to do private messages, hit me up. I'll help you out and help you get everything sorted-from meal plans and recipies to workout plans.
    Thanks very much thats very kind of you, I'll message you as soon as I can- everyone on this site are so hopeful and friendly.
    In terms of cheating thats great! I don't usually eat out at all but drinking occasionly is important social part. I will hit the gym hard and eat really carefully before and after- maybe even get a bigger gym session tomorrow.
    I'll eat perfectly clean and work hard through December so I can get a night out at Christmas and New Year, but apart from that I should be ok.
    •   

3. Hi thought I'd give a quick update. I got weighed today and remained at roughly the same weight as I've been.
    I think I'm going to add an extra 200-300 calories and see how it goes. I've been working out a lot harder and my metabolism will have speeded up- I'm 10kg (about 22 pounds) heavier than 2 months ago so my daily caloric needs will be higher.
    So I've been hitting around 2600-3000 calories (difficult to get exact) so I'll up it a bit adding in an extra sandwich or a few snacks so its around 2800-3200.
    Thanks for all the help so far, the new workout has been great-today was my rest day but I'm still aiming for 3000 calories as I like food!:P

4. Hi so I've been wondering about glucose storage and how to avoid it.
    I try to only eat complex carbs and no sugar except fruit and honey in oatmeal.
    However I did have to eat chocolate cereal today as there was no food in my house.
    How much Hiit cardio should I do?
    I tend to do 10 minutes before each workout (4 times a week). I go on an exercise bike and burn around 60-70 calories in that 10 minutes, is that ok
    In terms of workouts I do 2 2 day splits.

5. Yeah man your totally fine. Its a little bit of cereal it is not going to hurt you at all! Ecspecially since your lifting 4 days a week just dont make it an erday thing. But you need to eat man! Eat eat eat! Idk if your counting macros right now or if thats a good idea for you but myfitnesspal is a great app if you got a smart phone
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by coolguy1993
    Hi so I've been wondering about glucose storage and how to avoid it.
    I try to only eat complex carbs and no sugar except fruit and honey in oatmeal.
    However I did have to eat chocolate cereal today as there was no food in my house.
    How much Hiit cardio should I do?
    It is precisely this kind of black and white food (mis)beliefs that has me worried about your mental state. You said that you "have a great relationship" with food and "just" a poor body image. Having a poor body image is something that deserves attention in and of itself! Moreover, you are OBSESSING over a SINGLE FOOD CHOICE!
    Please tell me that you have a psychotherapist in addition to AM to discuss these issues with. Until you work on fixing your food beliefs, you will find reaching your (still questionably healthy) body comp goals impossible.

7. Quote Originally Posted by scherbs

It is precisely this kind of black and white food (mis)beliefs that has me worried about your mental state. You said that you "have a great relationship" with food and "just" a poor body image. Having a poor body image is something that deserves attention in and of itself! Moreover, you are OBSESSING over a SINGLE FOOD CHOICE!
    Please tell me that you have a psychotherapist in addition to AM to discuss these issues with. Until you work on fixing your food beliefs, you will find reaching your (still questionably healthy) body comp goals impossible.
    Yup hit it on the head. Seems to be some deep issues here. hope the best for ya man we can only help so much

8. Thanks for getting back in touch, I have been seing a pyschotherapist but he hasn't said anything about my food habbits. I do have some confidence issues (i have a lot of facial scarring after I was assaulted) and a form of OCD which may be why I beat myself up over small things- I do it at uni too if I don't get 100%.

But yeah I have been using myfitnesspal its fantastic and eating lots, and lifting.
    I think I just need to calm down a bit and stop trying to do everything at once.
    Thanks for all the concern and help.

9. Yeah just be patient man it wont happen over night just stay disciplined to your diet and training

10. Ok thank you, I'll post later on in the week and let you know how I'm doing.

11. Hi so I got weighed today. I gained 2kg since last week (4.4 pounds). This is a lot for 1 week but I hadn't gained any weight at all for 3 weeks so I'm happy just to be gaining again.
    I now weigh 59.1kg or 130 pounds which is pretty awesome!
    Heres some photos, I don't see much difference but yeah. I tried to tense up in the last ones but to no effect:P
    Name:  2012-11-28 13.55.19.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  51.7 KBName:  2012-11-28 13.55.43.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  60.1 KBName:  2012-11-28 13.55.48.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  61.2 KBName:  2012-11-28 13.55.52.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  59.6 KBName:  2012-11-28 13.56.18.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  59.5 KBName:  2012-11-28 13.56.29.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  62.0 KB

12. Your still way underweight man but I can definatley see a difference! Keep up what your doing and dont over obsese about the number on the scale its just a number. Gl

13. Awesome thanks! I'll try and keep it going

14. You had the all clear from any doctor bro??

Just incase you have any condition... 113 is thin man, specially for 5'9

Hope things work out well for you.

15. Maybe only weigh yourself once a month.

My new years resolution last year was to not weigh myself, and I might renew it.

Numbers are too psychological. Just try and feel good.

16. Quote Originally Posted by mumbles12 View Post
    You had the all clear from any doctor bro??

Just incase you have any condition... 113 is thin man, specially for 5'9

Hope things work out well for you.
    Yeah, I'm now 130 pounds, I just have no idea how to change it on my profile, thanks for the concern.
    I'm still very skinny so I'm keeping on bulking but I'm not at any health risks now- which is the most important part.

I have to keep going to a nutrionist who weighs me every week, just to make sure I'm still gaining, but your right I should'nt obsess over how much I gain, as long as I gain.
    Thanks guys! I'm feeling pretty awesome now!

17. 130 is much better dude, I have to ask though, how old are you?

18. Thanks!
    I'm 19, I look really young for my age though, I pass as 14 or 15 quite easily- I've always been very small framed and skinny- I had a lot of illness's until recently too, you can actually see my 2 front ribs stick out really far it looks kind of deformed (altough its not dangerous), I never really developed properly because I was always ill.
    I've really enjoyed bulking up though-its been a lot of fun and makes you feel really good.
    All the help I've got of you and DocMattic and the other guys has been great

19. A lot of good advice here and it seems like you are on a good path OP. My advice to add would be this, and it has already been mentioned to one degree, try to not focus on the minute. Think of bodybuilding as filling up a bucket with water. Every time you eat a solid bb meal or have a great workout or get a good nights rest you add a single drop of water to the bucket. One drop at a time, day after day, workout after workout, meal after meal, slowly the bucket starts to accumulate water(a full bucket is the end goal and is a constantly changing one for most of us.) Here is my advice: when you do one thing not perfect for bb, such as eating cookies or a donuts, it is not akin to emptying out the whole bucket. You do not need to avoid a cheat meal for a month simply because you ate a cookie. Just go into the gym the next day and enjoy the increased pump and energy you have due to the extra carbs and put another drop in the bucket. IT TAKES FAR MORE THAN A SINGLE CHEAT TO UNDO ALL YOUR HARD WORK. Stressing over any of these minute details will hinder your gains more than anything. Good luck.

20. Quote Originally Posted by pushinweightw View Post
    A lot of good advice here and it seems like you are on a good path OP. My advice to add would be this, and it has already been mentioned to one degree, try to not focus on the minute. Think of bodybuilding as filling up a bucket with water. Every time you eat a solid bb meal or have a great workout or get a good nights rest you add a single drop of water to the bucket. One drop at a time, day after day, workout after workout, meal after meal, slowly the bucket starts to accumulate water(a full bucket is the end goal and is a constantly changing one for most of us.) Here is my advice: when you do one thing not perfect for bb, such as eating cookies or a donuts, it is not akin to emptying out the whole bucket. You do not need to avoid a cheat meal for a month simply because you ate a cookie. Just go into the gym the next day and enjoy the increased pump and energy you have due to the extra carbs and put another drop in the bucket. IT TAKES FAR MORE THAN A SINGLE CHEAT TO UNDO ALL YOUR HARD WORK. Stressing over any of these minute details will hinder your gains more than anything. Good luck.
    Wow thanks very much, thats a really good analogy. I'll try and think of that to keep my possitive- consistantly working hard will help me progress.
    I'll be possitive and look at my targets raather than mistakes in the past- and like you say an occasional cheat won't empty the bucket, it just means I'll have to add an extra big drop of water next time
    Thanks for the possitive input-it really helps my confidence!
    I'll keep trying and hopefully make progress.

21. Hi just thought I'd give a progress update- I got weighed again and gaine 1 pound (0.5kg) since last week.
    I'm extremely pleased as this is the first time I've made a steady gain-usually I either don't gain or gain 4 pounds in a week so I'm pretty happy.
    I now weigh 131 pounds (59.6kg)
    Overall my strength is a lot better- I'm squatting over 70 kg (155 pounds), leg press is 95kg (210 pounds) and deadlift is just hitting 45kg (100 pounds)
    Its still really weak but a massive improvement, so thanks for all the help- I'm not going to change anything for the meantime, the 2 day splits have been pretty awesome, maybe come February if I'm not gaining I'll start fine tuning the workout routine.
    In terms of food I still eat lots of fruit, but I'm eating loads of carbs (almost all complex), getting 2 whey protein shakes a day ( 1 scoop morning,2 scoops after workout) and a good amount of meat.
    Hopefully everything will keep working-thanks everyone.

22. Cool guy, checkout my progress pic. I started around where you are now. It's all hard work, but can be done.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...e-ranking.html

23. Wow thats really cool! Did you do anything extra to what I'm doing or pretty similar?
    I hope I can make progress like that

24. I put on the first 15-20lbs following NNMB by Vince Delmonte, and having access to an all you cam eat cafeteria at school. Great program.

25. Ahh I don't have an all you can eat cafeteria but I will definataely have a look at the program-thanks!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. how to gain 10 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks
    By gregmethews in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 09:23 PM
  3. HOW DO I USE GHRP-6 TO GAIN 10 POUNDS
    By rafasarmenha in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 08:00 AM