Macros for strength training? - AnabolicMinds.com

Macros for strength training?

  1. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Macros for strength training?


    So Im pretty new into the strength training category been working out steady for a few years but this is my first time mainly focusing on strength as I finally admitted to myself how pathetic my maxes were.

    For the past couple months I've been doing a high carb /low fat workout days and high fat/low carb rest days while keeping protein 1.5g x BW. It's worked ok for me aesthetic wise as I've been slowly leaning up but I wonder if I'm robbing myself of strength and progression by eating such low carbs (some days I won't go over 50-60 grams)

    What's your guys thoughts?

  2. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    So Im pretty new into the strength training category been working out steady for a few years but this is my first time mainly focusing on strength as I finally admitted to myself how pathetic my maxes were.

    For the past couple months I've been doing a high carb /low fat workout days and high fat/low carb rest days while keeping protein 1.5g x BW. It's worked ok for me aesthetic wise as I've been slowly leaning up but I wonder if I'm robbing myself of strength and progression by eating such low carbs (some days I won't go over 50-60 grams)

    What's your guys thoughts?
    Essential macronutrient levels are always the same, you adjust carbohydrate intake to control caloric allotment.

    1g of protein per LB of BW
    .5g of fat per LB of BW

    Carbs are the rest and they are obtained by knowing your TDEE, and while it is true you can build strength on a deficit...I would suggest to you that you keep a surplus. Keep the Essentials at those values or above those values EVERY DAY , no matter rest or workout, and simply modify Carb intake according to rest or carbohydrate day...but no matter what, those values should never go below that.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    My TDEE is around 2700 and I'm eating at 3000 a day rest or workout. So what you're saying is keep my levels the same no matter rest or work? A little confused
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141050

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Well, you didn't specify in the OP whether you are making gains or not. I assume you made the post because you're stalling pretty fast on your lifts, but this would only be an assumption. Is this the case? If not, then I would go ahead and continue what you're doing until things come to a halt.

    As for your diet, your protein levels are pretty good. Most powerlifters eat around 1.5-2g/lb. Are you new to lifting and dieting? If not, and you're leaning out, I would taper up carbs starting with workout days. Evidently you're not getting in enough to optimize your growth potential.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  5. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    The Macronutrient allotment (for the essentials) comes from your Bodyweight.

    1g of protein per LB of BW (this will be X number of kCals, you get it by multiplying the grams*4)
    .5g of fats per LB of BW (this will be Y number of kCals, you get it by multiplying the grams*9)
    These 2 abovementioned values do not change negatively. You can go higher BUT NEVER LOWER, NO MATTER WORKOUT OR REST DAY.


    Then you do this: TDEE-X-Y= Z

    Z= Carbohydrate kCals. Z/4= Grams of Carbs.

    If you want to go lower kCals on Rest Days and thus subtract carbs , its fine.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  6. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    The Macronutrient allotment (for the essentials) comes from your Bodyweight.

    1g of protein per LB of BW (this will be X number of kCals, you get it by multiplying the grams*4)
    .5g of fats per LB of BW (this will be Y number of kCals, you get it by multiplying the grams*9)
    These 2 abovementioned values do not change negatively. You can go higher BUT NEVER LOWER, NO MATTER WORKOUT OR REST DAY.


    Then you do this: TDEE-X-Y= Z

    Z= Carbohydrate kCals. Z/4= Grams of Carbs.

    If you want to go lower kCals on Rest Days and thus subtract carbs , its fine.
    Ah I got you C..I understand how many grams and such each macro has I was just confused cause i thought you were suggesting I keep them the same throughout but adjust my carbs. After re-reading it I see you were merely stating I can adjust them to my discretion.

    I see as well I was rather vague in my opening post. I'm looking for weight gain and strength gains. I've been progressing along pretty well with my lifts but wondering if I could do even better by tweaking my macros a little.

    I would not consider myself new to lifting but over the last year or so Is the first time I've really paid a lot of attention to my macros. Always ate clean and counted cals but never use to be so specific.
  7. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Ah I got you C..I understand how many grams and such each macro has I was just confused cause i thought you were suggesting I keep them the same throughout but adjust my carbs. After re-reading it I see you were merely stating I can adjust them to my discretion.

    I see as well I was rather vague in my opening post. I'm looking for weight gain and strength gains. I've been progressing along pretty well with my lifts but wondering if I could do even better by tweaking my macros a little.

    I would not consider myself new to lifting but over the last year or so Is the first time I've really paid a lot of attention to my macros. Always ate clean and counted cals but never use to be so specific.
    You can have the protein and fat higher if you want , just don't drop it below that point no matter the day. Now as far as higher protein...well human bodies can only process as far as 1g-1.25g per LB of BW , and the ones that can do slightly more than 1.25g are genetically gifted indeed. Unless you are on AAS no need to up the protein so much, it only gets excreted out. Carbs and fats are your friends here now, you need a lot of Glycogen for power movements, and replenishing it daily is common PowerLifting preaching, also fats keep joints lubed and working, not to mention they help with a good hormonal balance and great for kCalorie surpluses, they also enhance recovery.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Actual macro breakdown for strength training is pretty overrated. Overall caloric consumption is far more important than any specific macro.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Actual macro breakdown for strength training is pretty overrated. Overall caloric consumption is far more important than any specific macro.
    Can you elaborate more Rodja please? I want further strength...so if you could help out explaining this I would appreciate it.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  10. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    You can have the protein and fat higher if you want , just don't drop it below that point no matter the day. Now as far as higher protein...well human bodies can only process as far as 1g-1.25g per LB of BW , and the ones that can do slightly more than 1.25g are genetically gifted indeed. Unless you are on AAS no need to up the protein so much, it only gets excreted out. Carbs and fats are your friends here now, you need a lot of Glycogen for power movements, and replenishing it daily is common PowerLifting preaching, also fats keep joints lubed and working, not to mention they help with a good hormonal balance and great for kCalorie surpluses, they also enhance recovery.
    After lowering my protein and keeping my fats at .5 I need like 300-400 grams of carbs a day, soo much more than what I'm eating right now lol I suppose I could try it for a few weeks and see how it works. Will likely taper the carbs up instead of just slamming an extra 200 grams into my diet. Should help anyways with my goal of gaining ten pounds before the new year
  11. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Would rep u too but I gotta spread some
  12. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    After lowering my protein and keeping my fats at .5 I need like 300-400 grams of carbs a day, soo much more than what I'm eating right now lol I suppose I could try it for a few weeks and see how it works. Will likely taper the carbs up instead of just slamming an extra 200 grams into my diet. Should help anyways with my goal of gaining ten pounds before the new year
    I always notice an increase in strength and endurance when I have higher carbs and a good amount of fats in my diet Joey. I was skeptical at first but when I saw the results...DAMN!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  13. Elite Member
    vidapreta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,659
    Rep Power
    3765912

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Actual macro breakdown for strength training is pretty overrated. Overall caloric consumption is far more important than any specific macro.
    Most powerlifters are just worried about staying within their weight class. And shooting their juice...LOL

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,982
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Can you elaborate more Rodja please? I want further strength...so if you could help out explaining this I would appreciate it.
    Nearly every PL'er will tell you that to be strong you will need to eat a lot (nothing groundbreaking there) and the best way to get stronger is to increase mass and, therefore, leverages. In reality, any macro breakdown will get you to this goal provided there is sufficient calories, but so many people have the BB'er mentality hammered into them when it comes to nutrition that they're limiting their strength potential.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Nearly every PL'er will tell you that to be strong you will need to eat a lot (nothing groundbreaking there) and the best way to get stronger is to increase mass and, therefore, leverages. In reality, any macro breakdown will get you to this goal provided there is sufficient calories, but so many people have the BB'er mentality hammered into them when it comes to nutrition that they're limiting their strength potential.
    I don't ever wanna be a beach muscle pretty boy ! I want power! And that is good to know thanks . If I mentioned this macros to Joey it is because as far as I have read, those are essential macronutrient levels for maintaining health and recovery, yet I never mind going higher. Heck I'm lighter than joey and I have more carbs than he does and higher kCals hehe.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  16. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I always notice an increase in strength and endurance when I have higher carbs and a good amount of fats in my diet Joey. I was skeptical at first but when I saw the results...DAMN!
    I have no problem with high fats lol sometimes I wonder if my fats are too high on some days
  17. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Nearly every PL'er will tell you that to be strong you will need to eat a lot (nothing groundbreaking there) and the best way to get stronger is to increase mass and, therefore, leverages. In reality, any macro breakdown will get you to this goal provided there is sufficient calories, but so many people have the BB'er mentality hammered into them when it comes to nutrition that they're limiting their strength potential.
    So basically just eat a **** load of food and don't worry so much about the macro breakdown but more so the total cals?
  18. Elite Member
    vidapreta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,659
    Rep Power
    3765912

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    So basically just eat a **** load of food and don't worry so much about the macro breakdown but more so the total cals?
    And if you start getting fat, eat less...LOL

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
  19. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    And if you start getting fat, eat less...LOL

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Yea that seems logical lol I think the only real adjustment I need to make is to up my carbs
  20. Elite Member
    vidapreta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,659
    Rep Power
    3765912

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Yea that seems logical lol I think the only real adjustment I need to make is to up my carbs
    Upping carbs is always fun. IMO

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
  21. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,183
    Rep Power
    3319956

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    So basically just eat a **** load of food and don't worry so much about the macro breakdown but more so the total cals?
    Basically he's saying get rid of the BBer mentality becasue if your not training to be a BBer, then why eat like one? I would still recommend though that you eat enough protein and fats simply to aid in hormone development and transport, muscle tissue repair and so on and so forth. But just don't get hung up on numbers. Generally speaking, if you eat food from a variety of sources (such as all levels of the food pyramid, avoiding as much as possible the high insulin spiking foods) then you will get enough of all your macros. However in some cases you also have to get rid of the "general health perspective" when it comes to food. Saturated fats are a weight lifters friend to aid in test production however these are geberally condemned by the avaerge nutritionalist.

    IMO all foods can have a place in training, but dependant on your training and intensity of said training should dictate what you do eat and perhaps even when you do eat (timing is more important for people who undergo multiple training sessions per day or high amounts/ long duration aerobic exercise than for the average BBer and strength trainer).

    It depends on what your training for.
  22. New Member
    NYiron's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    36879

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz
    However in some cases you also have to get rid of the "general health perspective" when it comes to food. Saturated fats are a weight lifters friend to aid in test production however these are geberally condemned by the avaerge nutritionalist.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8HeueKffk

    Food for thought, figured you may find this interesting. Its from a documentary called fat head, it's a little corny at times but it has a good message. It really exposes the scientific evidence and how the government manipulated it to yield bullsh!t claims (lipid hypothesis) to back the grain industry. Just a small segment is provided bur the whole documentary is rather interesting. I 100 percent agree with your statement on fat intake and the misconstrued opinions of the average nutritionalist.
  23. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,183
    Rep Power
    3319956

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8HeueKffk

    Food for thought, figured you may find this interesting. Its from a documentary called fat head, it's a little corny at times but it has a good message. It really exposes the scientific evidence and how the government manipulated it to yield bullsh!t claims (lipid hypothesis) to back the grain industry. Just a small segment is provided bur the whole documentary is rather interesting. I 100 percent agree with your statement on fat intake and the misconstrued opinions of the average nutritionalist.
    Great find. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that documentary, seems it could well be worth it.
  24. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Basically he's saying get rid of the BBer mentality becasue if your not training to be a BBer, then why eat like one? I would still recommend though that you eat enough protein and fats simply to aid in hormone development and transport, muscle tissue repair and so on and so forth. But just don't get hung up on numbers. Generally speaking, if you eat food from a variety of sources (such as all levels of the food pyramid, avoiding as much as possible the high insulin spiking foods) then you will get enough of all your macros. However in some cases you also have to get rid of the "general health perspective" when it comes to food. Saturated fats are a weight lifters friend to aid in test production however these are geberally condemned by the avaerge nutritionalist.

    IMO all foods can have a place in training, but dependant on your training and intensity of said training should dictate what you do eat and perhaps even when you do eat (timing is more important for people who undergo multiple training sessions per day or high amounts/ long duration aerobic exercise than for the average BBer and strength trainer).

    It depends on what your training for.
    Great info man really helps. It's funny how my whole life I'm taught how bad saturated fats are so bad and too avoid them at all costs but am now actually learning some benefits.
  25. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,183
    Rep Power
    3319956

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Great info man really helps. It's funny how my whole life I'm taught how bad saturated fats are so bad and too avoid them at all costs but am now actually learning some benefits.
    The link NYIron posted makes for a good view if you havent watched it already.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 03:09 PM
  2. Strength training for runners
    By EBF_2356 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
  4. Looking for a good MMA Strength Training 3 day split
    By Grant in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM
  5. Strength training for children
    By Iron Warrior in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in