Protein pre or post cooking

  1. Protein pre or post cooking


    Alright guys, I'm sure this has been discussed probably 1000 times before. And yes I did try the search function.

    Pretty simple, do you count the protein of the raw weight of the meat or do you weigh it after cooking. It seems to me the better option would be too count the post cooking weight towards your protein intake. Am I cheating myself by weighing it after or what? For instance, I just cooked a raw chicken breast that weighed 17 oz, post cooking it weighed 10. For 17 oz of raw chicken my fitnesspal says its like 103 g of pro, but then for cooked chicken breast 10 oz is only around 60. Which do I track!
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html


  2. Weigh your meats raw, always.
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-

  3. I know that weighing it before is better, but I cook like 5-10lbs of meat at a time so that doesn't really make sense. I usually just throw 3oz cooked meat into my meal and call it 4oz uncooked. 6oz cooked to 8oz uncooked etc. It's probably off some, but I can always adjust my daily intake from there so it's not a huge deal breaker to me.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18
    Weigh your meats raw, always.
    So I really get the protein from the 17 oz raw chicken and not the 10 oz cooked chicken? Is that what your getting at?
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  5. For 25g of protein a "cooked"breast is 3.2oz.Which is around 4.5raw for 30-40grams of protein its 5-6 raw.Pork is alittle higher at 3.5 cooked for 25grams.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    So I really get the protein from the 17 oz raw chicken and not the 10 oz cooked chicken? Is that what your getting at?
    Yes, cooking your food raw gives the most accurate. You food comes packaged and tells you what the calories are for your food UNCOOKED, so weigh it uncooked and you will know what your are putting into your body.
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-

  7. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  8. mason is right. the only thing chicken and meat lose during cooking is water and fat. chicken has barely any fat so don't worry. meat you should account for fat loss but its fairly easy. according to a scientific experiment I read roughly 50% is lost. 30 grams went down to 15 but the lower you go the smaller the fat loss. it showed a meat with 10gs dropped down to like 8gs.

    you would be fine sticking with the 50% rule since plus/minus a few grams of fat is not a big deal.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas
    I know that weighing it before is better, but I cook like 5-10lbs of meat at a time so that doesn't really make sense. I usually just throw 3oz cooked meat into my meal and call it 4oz uncooked. 6oz cooked to 8oz uncooked etc. It's probably off some, but I can always adjust my daily intake from there so it's not a huge deal breaker to me.
    weigh the meat before you cook it. after cooking, weigh it again. divide the second number by the first and you will get the ratio you need to figure out what weight you need.

    for example if you cook 1000gs of meat, then after it weighs 800gs, that comes to .8. your macros will be based off raw weight so if you decide you need a certain protein number from for example 200gs, you need to multiply 200 by .8 to get the correct macros in cooked weight. hope that made sense

  10. Quote Originally Posted by iliketosquat

    weigh the meat before you cook it. after cooking, weigh it again. divide the second number by the first and you will get the ratio you need to figure out what weight you need.

    for example if you cook 1000gs of meat, then after it weighs 800gs, that comes to .8. your macros will be based off raw weight so if you decide you need a certain protein number from for example 200gs, you need to multiply 200 by .8 to get the correct macros in cooked weight. hope that made sense
    I understand what your trying to say, I just never heard of that before. You got any sources backing this or where are you getting your info?
    Training log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

  11. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34

    I understand what your trying to say, I just never heard of that before. You got any sources backing this or where are you getting your info?
    personal experience and the fact that the macros on meat is talking about it raw uncooked
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
  2. pre or post W.O. for igf-1
    By VES in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM
  3. Glutamine Pre or Post Workout? and what is Taurine?
    By maple626 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Log in
Log in