1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.17%

Vegan vs Paleo?

Which diet would you prefer?

I think Vegans get a bad rap for being weak and skinny. As long as you get adequate calories and protein then I think Veganism> a conventional diet. Examples: Carl Lewis set his PRs in track at the age of 30, the first year he went vegan. Mac Danzig (MMA) was once King of the Cage.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.52%

You need to look into correlation vs. causation as far as the athletes you cited goes. There could be a thousand other factors that contributed to their success. That being said, the most important thing as far as diet goes is consistency. I don't really care what your diet is, so long as your macros are on point. Do that, be consistent about, and you will achieve good results.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.56%

Quote Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
    You need to look into correlation vs. causation as far as the athletes you cited goes. There could be a thousand other factors that contributed to their success. That being said, the most important thing as far as diet goes is consistency. I don't really care what your diet is, so long as your macros are on point. Do that, be consistent about, and you will achieve good results.
    Pretty much this. If it's due to moral implications that you want to go vegan then fine, but both diets I find absurd. Flexible dieting is far easier IMO.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.78%

For me Paleo is better.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

I have been strict Paleo, more on the hunter gather side of the diet ( since you hear a couple different opinions of Paleo) I find this the most true to the diet. I went this way to come off heavy and large amounts of prescriptions for crippling psoriatic arthritis. Within 2 weeks of this diet, light weights and the sauna daily I dropped 20lbs. 8 weeks swelling reduced in some joints. It's been 1.5 y now. Living off of meats, fish, poultry and a lot of broccoli, colli, Brussels, peas, gbeans etc I have never felt better. Minor swelling still but manageable. 100% natural.

Also my brain felt less foggy, my chronic sweating minimalized. I support this diet big time.

I will add that I may add whole grains to my diet again in the near future as I targeted the cause to my auto immune disease. Only once a week on refeed day. That being said. For overall healthy and quality of life, Paleo is King.

luckily I have organic cattle, poultry and fruits and vegetables local.

Cheers

M420
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPlymouth View Post
    Which diet would you prefer?I think Vegans get a bad rap for being weak and skinny. As long as you get adequate calories and protein then I think Veganism> a conventional diet. Examples: Carl Lewis set his PRs in track at the age of 30, the first year he went vegan. Mac Danzig (MMA) was once King of the Cage.
    One could easily make the argument that: Vegans and/or Vegetarians could get the same and same amount of macronutrients as someone on a Paleo diet. I would argue, and violently I might add, that NO VEGAN or VEGETARIAN would be able to achieve both Macro and Micro nutrient intake on the same levels as someone on a Paleo diet, per meal. Maybe total, within a day, they may be able to but try and imagine the amount of food a Vegan/Vegetarian would have to consume to match those numbers. Im not saying it cant be done and I wont criticize anyone who decides to go that route but I firmly believe Paleo much more efficient and much easier to maintain for athletes.- Nick
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.78%

I agree...Vegans and Vegetarians have to consume much more micro and macro nutrients cause they don't eat meat which is the best source of complete proteins.
    If u r a vegan u dont eat all types of produce connected with animals..You are concentrated on products like veggies and fruits...It's tough to eat only those products and reach macros..
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

vegans are just annoying...theres a joke..."how can you tell if someone is vegan? answer: don't worry they will make sure to tell you"....paleo atleast makes sense as a human being...vegan to me makes no sense
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

I completely agree Nick. It is hard enough IMO to hit my caloric goal with Paleo, especially compared to the days of old and eating everything and anything. But I do hit it because of meat protiens and fats.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

Quote Originally Posted by Medical420 View Post
    I completely agree Nick. It is hard enough IMO to hit my caloric goal with Paleo, especially compared to the days of old and eating everything and anything. But I do hit it because of meat protiens and fats.
    Im only saying that Macro and Micro is easier to achieve with Paleo out of the two. Now, if we throw healthy living and thriving vs. surviving to the wind and only want performance and fast results....one could argue throwing in some Dairy PWO and slow-cooked steel cut oats for breakfest can help. Im fine with strict Paleo, I do it and have done it since '07. I feel good and I like my results both in and out of the gym.

- Nick
    - Nick
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.15%

Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    Im only saying that Macro and Micro is easier to achieve with Paleo out of the two. Now, if we throw healthy living and thriving vs. surviving to the wind and only want performance and fast results....one could argue throwing in some Dairy PWO and slow-cooked steel cut oats for breakfest can help. Im fine with strict Paleo, I do it and have done it since '07. I feel good and I like my results both in and out of the gym.

- Nick
    I will accept that argument as I have different beliefs of a true Paleo supporter. I may be strict on my diet, my beliefs differ. I do not believe all sources of grain does damage to your intestinal track. I have my own theory that is conclusive enough to me. Things like steel cut oats, other whole grain sources and certain dairy products are beneficial to overall health and muscle management.

And to be honest, I will only be Paleo 6 days starting in mid September. The other day (refeed) I will be introducing white rice, cut oats and certain dairy.

Only good comes from Paleo.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

And since rice has a minimal amount of gluten, cut oats will be thoroughly cooked so easily digested and the dairy are, for some reason, better digested by active people, you should be fine. Everything in moderation. Even my New York Super Fudge Chunk binge once a month!

- Nick
    - Nick
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    vegans are just annoying...theres a joke..."how can you tell if someone is vegan? answer: don't worry they will make sure to tell you"....paleo atleast makes sense as a human being...vegan to me makes no sense

Agreed, by the way.
    - Nick
  14. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.56%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

How are they even comparable? Veganism is a diet based on ones own personal convictions and morals while paleo os geared towards increasing ones health and longevity.

There is no comparison
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.78%

Agree..Comparing those two is a mistake..
    They differ from each other much.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.24%

Prefer the Paleo if I had to make a choice. But I don't.

APPNUT
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.3%

THEY ARE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE.

Most Vegans or people who follow the primal lifestyle do it for reasons. Vegans dont want to hurt anything and wont eat animals for a multitude of (no offense) ridiculous reasons and people follow the primal lifestyle as it is what the caveman did and they want to maximize their health. The 2 are comlpetely opposite so I dont think they can be correlated what so ever.

Primal vs Paleo would be comparable or Vegan vs Vegetarian.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

Quote Originally Posted by dillianc
    THEY ARE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE.

Most Vegans or people who follow the primal lifestyle do it for reasons. Vegans dont want to hurt anything and wont eat animals for a multitude of (no offense) ridiculous reasons and people follow the primal lifestyle as it is what the caveman did and they want to maximize their health. The 2 are comlpetely opposite so I dont think they can be correlated what so ever.

Primal vs Paleo would be comparable or Vegan vs Vegetarian.
    As someone that has done Paleo now for almost 5 years I have to, respectfully, disagree. Not on your whole statement but comparing Paleo and Primal. Both are very close. The only difference is in the primal diet, diary, in moderation and in pastured(grass fed), is allowable whereas with Paleo dairy is not considered a good food. I'm pretty much on board with all the proponents of Paleo except for the dairy issue. I think as long as the source is clean and good, like grass fed and/or raw, it's fine as an athlete. If I had autoimmune issues, diabetes or had history of cancer I may not use dairy. I will agree that most people I know that are vegans(****ing nut jobs), are so for philosophical reasons. Vegetarians believe their diet is superior for longevity and health reasons, which couldn't be farther from the truth. The occurrence of IBS, Gurd and all sorts of bowel issues can be attributed to plant based diets. Mostly due to ****ed up flora in the belly. I rarely can even hold a logical conversation with vegans and/or veggies. Forget the evolution logic.
    - Nick
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.3%

Exactly, which is why i said you can compare paleo and primal. they are at least comparable as there are a few minor differences and some people may say the added dairy is better for you and some may say its not.

I dont even think you can compare vegan to paleo as they are completely opposite and people choose them for specific reasons and normally follow a certain lifestyle with what they believe and how their beliefs effect the way they eat. A lot of the people whom I have spoken to who follow paleo/primal say they do it because they feel more energetic, clean and perform better. I am currently in the transition to primal and I do feel pretty good.

I dont even dare to try and understand vegans
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

Quote Originally Posted by dillianc
    Exactly, which is why i said you can compare paleo and primal. they are at least comparable as there are a few minor differences and some people may say the added dairy is better for you and some may say its not.

I dont even think you can compare vegan to paleo as they are completely opposite and people choose them for specific reasons and normally follow a certain lifestyle with what they believe and how their beliefs effect the way they eat. A lot of the people whom I have spoken to who follow paleo/primal say they do it because they feel more energetic, clean and perform better. I am currently in the transition to primal and I do feel pretty good.

I dont even dare to try and understand vegans
    Awesome buddy. The sugar detox was the toughest part. I felt like a I was on a month long version of a man period.
    - Nick
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.3%

The sugar detox is done. I did that in July. the first 2 weeks was pretty bad I felt so restricted but managed. Now its just cutting out a few more little things but it is going pretty good. I ate icecream for the first time in months about 2 weeks ago and has the worst stomach pain ever afterwards.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Neocon vs Paleo
    By okboy63 in forum Politics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
  2. Ergopharm vs. IDC
    By true_c in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 10:14 AM
  3. Formasin vs. 6-oxo
    By scotty2 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3