Feedback on Poliquin's article: Top 10 Carb Intake Rules For Optimal Body Composition

1. purebred

Question Feedback on Poliquin's article: Top 10 Carb Intake Rules For Optimal Body Composition

Wanted to know what you all thought about Mr. Poliquin's article on carb intake.

From what I'm gathering, based on his suggestions: eliminating grains (basically all bread products?) and limiting fruit consumption/increasing vegetable consumption and nutrient timing (using his formulas) are key to optimal body composition, right?

Poliquin's Top 10 Carb Intake Rules For Optimal Body Composition

by Charles Poliquin
    8/27/2009 3:56:15 PM1. Eliminate grains, particularly wheat. This is the most important principle regarding carb intake. Wheat influences blood sugar levels the same way as plain table sugar.
    2. Yes, eliminate grains, Part II: Gliadin family grains such as oats, wheat, spelt are the most common food allergen. People of the Celtic ancestry, like the Irish, are more likely to be gluten allergic. Besides raising insulin levels in the body and their rapid carb intake, grains also release cortisol in response to the stressor, than a food allergen is.
    3. The main source of carbs should be fibrous. Fibrous carbs typically have very low carb content. Their inherent high fiber brings about a very moderate insulin response, thus making them an ideal fat loss food. The best sources of fibrous carbs include :

• Broccoli
    • Lettuce
    • Cabbage
    • Cauliflower
    • Mushrooms
    • Green beans
    • Onions
    • Asparagus
    • Cucumber
    • Spinach
    • All forms of peppers
    • Zucchini
    • Cauliflower

4. The darker the fruit, the better it is for you. Dark fruits tend to have very thin skin, (hence they need to produce more anti-oxidants to protect themselves from the sun). That is why darker fruits are great anti-inflammatory foods. Bananas have thick skins therefore they have lower anti-oxidants contents.
    5. The darker the fruit, the better it is for you, part II. The darker the fruit, the lower the glycemic load. Again, compare berries, and cherries to bananas and pineapple. Of course, this applies to fruits in their natural state; when grapes become raisins, their glycemic index goes up because of dehydration of the fruit.
    6. Replace grains with greens in sandwiches. This one is promoted by Jonny Bowden, author Living The Low Carb Life: Instead of using bread, use dark leafy greens to wrap the meat. It will slow down the glycemic index and help shift in your favor the acid/alkaline base.
    7. Limit fructose intake. Even though fruits are great foods loaded with nutrients, they also contain fructose. Fructose in too high quantities can slow down thyroid function and increase glycation. Glycation in layman's term is browning, like the browning that makes crust in bread. Glycation is the cross linking of proteins (and DNA molecules) caused by sugar aldehydes reacting with the amino acids on the protein molecule and creating Advance Glycosylation End-products (AGE's). If you want to see protein cross linking in action, cut an apple in half and watch it turn yellow! Very few people realize that glucose can go through oxidation. Why is the worst glycation agent fructose? Because it does not raise insulin. In other words, the insulin is not getting it into muscle cells. Therefore, it lingers around and wreaks metabolic havoc. As nutrition expert Robert Crayhon would say: fructose is like the guest that won't go home once the party is over. Crayhon recommends that the average American should eat no more than 5-10 grams of fructose a day! For very active individuals, 20 grams of fructose should be the maximum intake.

One of the worst sources of glycating fructose are the weight loss bars containing high fructose corn syrup, like the ones sold by a famous Texan verbally abusive lawyer turned weight loss guru.

To check for glycation levels, ask your doctor to measure the concentration of glycated hemoglobin in your blood. In England, a study revealed that this is one of the best measured tests able to predict mortality. Far better than cholesterol, blood pressure and body mass index.

8. The best time to load up in carbs is the first 10 minutes following your workout. Since insulin sensitivity is at its highest after the workout, this is the time to take in your carbs to maximize muscle mass gains. Originally based on the research that was available at the time, I typically recommended 2 g/Kg of bodyweight. Over the years, after being exposed to more research and discussing it with my colleagues, I have come to the conclusion that it should be a reflection of the training volume for the training session. The greater the number of reps per training unit, the greater the carbohydrate intake. Of course, one can assume that all reps are equal. A squatting or deadlifting rep is more demanding than a curling or triceps extension rep. By the same token, 3 reps slow tempo squats has different caloric demand than 3 reps in the power clean. As a general rule, I would recommend the following carbohydrate intake based on training volume for a given workout:

* 12-72 reps per workout : 0.6 g/Kg/LBM
    * 73-200 reps per workout : 0.8 g/kg/LBM
    * 200-360 reps per workout : 1.0 g/kg/LBM
    * 360-450 reps per workout : 1.2 g/kg/LBM

Regarding the source of carbohydrates post-workout, I have experimented with various sources, I like using fruit juices with a high glycemic index (i.e. pineapple, grape) to provide 30-40% of the carbs, the rest of the carbs coming from carb powders ranging from dextrose to various types of malto-dextrin. For variety sake, I will use different types of juice like a berry blend. You can also any type of mushy fruit like bananas or peaches. For seriously underweight athletes, I may use pineapple and/or corn flakes to drive the glycemic index upwards. Instead of using maltodextrin, you can also use dessicated honey.

9. Use insulin sensitivity supplements with high-carb post workout meals. Nutrients like taurine, arginine, magnesium, R-form alpha lipoic acid etc.. will help dispose of glucose to muscle cells instead of fat cells.
    10. Add protein to your post-workout carb intake. Using 15 g of protein for every 50 lbs of bodyweight, will increase glycogen storage by as much as 40%.

2. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.19%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

While there is definitely great info in the article i dont think its an end all be all.

A lot of people do really well on wheat products and others not so much.

I know some people who only eat fruits as there carb source.

I think experimentation is what will lead to the best body composition because what may work for others wont necessarily work for you.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    While there is definitely great info in the article i dont think its an end all be all.

I think experimentation is what will lead to the best body composition because what may work for others wont necessarily work for you.
    I agree 100%. If I eliminated oats and brown rice I would quit weight training.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
    •   

4. purebred

I agree with you 100%. It actually irritates me quite a bit when advice is given as an end all be all source of information or method of success. It's just not accurate to talk this way in a field such as health and human performance. Everyone's body is different.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.5%

He doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Wheat influences blood sugar levels the same way as plain table sugar.
    Sugar actually has a lower GI (around 55) than bread (around 70). Table sugar (sucrose) is medium GI.
    The darker the fruit, the better it is for you
    Does he think that white grapes are lower than purple grapes? Does he think that purple grapes and purple prunes are the same GI?
    One of the worst sources of glycating fructose...To check for glycation levels,
    and
    Why is the worst glycation agent fructose?
    He doesn't know the difference between glycation and fructosylation. Fructose doesn't create glycation, only glucose does.
    If you want to see protein cross linking in action, cut an apple in half and watch it turn yellow!
    Where does he think that protein comes from in the cut apple? There is only a tiny amount; besides if crosslinking was occurring, then it would occur inside the apple even before being cut. What he sees is oxidation, that's why vitamin C is used to prevent the color change when canning fruit. That's why the color change happens only when the apple is cut and the inside is exposed to the air. Oxidation.

That's for starters.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.36%

Although I respect Poliquin a great deal, my issue with a lot of experts is how dogmatic everyone seems to be.
    There are many ways to work out effectively, and there are many different diets to follow, and what works for one individual may not work for another.
  7. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT

There will be inflammation and attrition in wheat diets.
    Some more prevalent than others. Quinoa is best muscle building gluten free carb with yam a close second
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Charles Poliquin always has novel information.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  9. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.19%
    Achievements Posting VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by toddgranit View Post
    Although I respect Poliquin a great deal, my issue with a lot of experts is how dogmatic everyone seems to be.
    There are many ways to work out effectively, and there are many different diets to follow, and what works for one individual may not work for another.
    I agree. Everyone thinks there way is always the best way and i understand, it makes sense. You put something togethor and try it over and over again and test it and you put your hard work into it of course your going to recommend it and think its the best. BUT and this is a big but, there are ALWAYS multiple ways to skin a cat.

I used to think i could only lose fat on keto. I enjoy keto and shred up quickly, but i have realized that i can still lose fat at a good rate and remain fuller with carbs in almost every meal.

So like i stated before he has great points and he is a very smart person, but no diet is a end all be all.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%

Yes. THis article is correct and i dont even know who this guy Poliquin is.
    Anyway, Is not that grains are bad is just that they have been processed to the point that bread is very much acting like table sugar as far as GI is concerned. One scientist even joked that table sugar is prob better for you.
    Fructose does get broken down by liver and doesnt influence insulin levels. This is not his ideas this are facts already proven.
    I;ve read many of this studies dealing with grains, sugars, fructose etc. This article just puts everything together.
    One study in particular has to do with wheat. In the 60s there was a movement to increase wheat production to deal with population growth. So they cross breed many plants many times to come up with a wheat plant that produces 10x more per bushel....and in the process they have also altered it's genetic make up! The problem is that all this cross breeding very much made current wheat hard for our bodies to digest from my understading. So why eat something that is not really great for us in the first place, just because someone in the FDA says you need grains..Think about it!
    This are the same ppl who tells us not to eat fat either which is a crack of **** as well. Good fats are imperative for our bodies to be healthy and grow properly. Case and point the eschimos. They eat nothing but fat and protein and live long and healthy lives free of heart diseas, diabetes etc. Coincidental...dont think so!
    Im not saying all carbs are bad but long term the odds of over eating carbs and ending up with health issues are nothing but a sure thing. The numbers dont lie.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I agree. Everyone thinks there way is always the best way and i understand, it makes sense. You put something togethor and try it over and over again and test it and you put your hard work into it of course your going to recommend it and think its the best. BUT and this is a big but, there are ALWAYS multiple ways to skin a cat.

I used to think i could only lose fat on keto. I enjoy keto and shred up quickly, but i have realized that i can still lose fat at a good rate and remain fuller with carbs in almost every meal.

So like i stated before he has great points and he is a very smart person, but no diet is a end all be all.
    great point. Nothing works forever although something may work a while for you, it is good to change it up, when it has stopped working or even after you get a lot out of it, then maybe come back to it another time
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

Similar Forum Threads

1. ALA and body composition
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
  2. Poliquin's German Body Composition
    By SoCo4Fun in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 06:53 PM
  4. Body Composition