BISON!!! It's what's for dinner!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.37%

BISON!!! It's what's for dinner!

This may be old news for some, but I am very surprised at the amount of people I come across in my profession who actually have never tried bison. Call it what you may, bison also known as buffalo is growing vastly popular among fitness enthusiasts and chefs nationwide.

Many dieters trying to lose weight and whittle at their waistline tend to think their days of "red meat" are in the past, but for the exception of vinison, bison is about as lean and healthy you can get when looking for a nutrient and amino dense protein!

American bison (buffalo) commonly associated with the midwestern states and Great Plains used to roam the fields by the hundreds of thousands. By the late 1800s, their numbers had been decimated through commercial hunting and slaughter, and bison were nearly extinct! Lucky for us though, that population is more than 500,000 today and growing!

Bison has definitely made the popularity list thanks to the superbly tasty and lean alternative to beef. However, unlike cattle that has been selectively bred for marbling, bison remain much closer to their original wild lineage and as a result their meat is much leaner. Bison generally has fewer calories, a lower fat content yet more protein than beef, making it a good choice for the health conscious meat eater.

I began eating bison a few years ago when I wanted to enjoy a burger while dining out with friends, and I can honestly say it has changed my life! During my off season and even while on my competition preparation diet, I enjoy having a lean bison steak or if I'm in the mood for a burger on a cheat day. Previously a strictly fish and chicken eater, I can now acclimate my nutritional needs with this tasty red meat and reap the benefits during my tough workouts!

So, if you haven't tried a bison burger or steak yet, stop what you are doing and run out to your nearest Whole Foods Market (they have the best fresh selection) or your local meat market and pick some up! The ground bison is a common choice for newcomers, but don't feel shy to splurge on a New York strip or some short ribs for a nicely roasted potted meal! Bon Apetite! Name:  Galaxy Sim Card 1493.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  24.6 KB

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

How much does it usually run per lb?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.37%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    How much does it usually run per lb?
    Usually depends on your grocer and the region, but price break down is as follows
    Ground-$10.99./lb..up $2 since last year!
    NY/Ribeye-$19.99/lb
    Flank-$15.99/lb
    Shoulder Roast/Stew Chunks $12.99/lb
    Short Rib-$18.99/lb
    Bison Uncured Franks-$7.99/lb
    ~I like to buy it fresh and never frozen! And never in those square packs at the market either. If you cant guarantee the source dont buy it! You are paying for its rareity as well as its quality. Sure you may pay for irs popularity as well but sometimes in this industry we make tiny sacrifices to get what we work hard for! I have a hefty grocery bill usually because im the only one that gets to eat this way in a regular basis, but u save money on everything! Make good networks and they can let you know when markdowns come up and fresh ar*****s! My seafood guys know when i come in and ask for the "waste chunks" im talking about the pieces of good cuts from fish that wouldnt sell by normal portion sizes. Well those tiny pieces are sometimes 4-6oz a pieces! And i can buy swordfish, mahi mahi, ahi tuna, salmon...but i pay $2.49/lb versus $18-$21/lb like it is in the case!
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Oh my.. For those prices I will stick with my cow steaks
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.72%

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh
    I agree that's way over priced! I hunt deer and my deer are probably just as lean and high in protein.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55%

bison is great for macros but it is pricey compared to many other options.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.53%

bump
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by viperc8 View Post
    bump
    another troll
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  9. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I know at the Kansas City City Market where I've bought Bison before the prices are much cheaper than what was posted. At least a couple of bucks lower. When I go I always buy a little bit of Bison and I make sure to get some Bison jerky which is absolutely delicious.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

PM me with any questions!
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.37%

Geoforce,
    That's great! Especially since you're in the plains, the local ranchers sell it much cheaper to grocers and markets. I live in Georgia and we do not have any bison rancher locally yet. The grass fed beef in stores is also more pricey, but that's if you are shopping out of Whole Foods.

What many people didn't see with the prices I listed was that, it's from WHOLE FOODS. They are notorious for leaving you with a lighter wallet than what you walked in with, but I shop there because I prefer their selection and the quality is great. Sure you can find ground bison in your local grocery store for a a couple maybe even three dollars cheaper if your lucky, but I still prefer mine from WF. The local farms here do sell grass fed beef that is not bad at all and is about $6.99/lb for their ground, where in stores I've seen prices as high as $10.99/lb! The International Market in dekalb county georgia has very low priced bison, but only carried about an 80/20 lean version of ground, and the shoulder roast. Again, I was pleased with the taste, but I've also opted to just stick to my fish for a little longer and substitute with bison once a week instead of three times a week like I did for my last year's contest prep. Muuuuuuccch cheaper :-)
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh
    McDonald dollar menu is even cheaper. U get what u put in.
    Buy better quality now, save medical costs later. And improve quality of life.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.36%

I've had bison burgers at Fuddrucker's a few times and enjoyed them a lot.
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.88%

I might switch to that for my sons
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.37%

If you noticed the name of the grocery market on my post on prices: Whole Foods, you might understand why they are slightly higher than most places. But I live in Georgia and if you ask me everything is overpriced here! Especially food! I used to be able to get 2.5 dozen cage free eggs from WF fr $4.99, they recently went up 60 cents, and since ezekiel bread is gaining more popularity I suppose, stores like Publix and Kroger charge $5.99 a loaf, where WF is remaining $3.99, at least for now.
    Earlier in the post my neighborhood Krogers had not yet provided bison steaks, but while out shopping in one of the new locations, I noticed they started caring the steaks now. As far as price goes, I rather stick to paying $3 more per pound just because it's not all prepacked with sloppy blood and there is no guarantee it's organic either. But that's just my choice. Some don't care where the food comes from, or how it's raised just to save a few more dollars. But to each it's own.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.37%

Quote Originally Posted by murk01 View Post
    I might switch to that for my sons
    My children really enjoy the taste opposed to beef, but it could be that we just don't eat beef in our household very often. I normally am the only one enjoying bison on a regular basis during contest prep because it is so expensive. Even fish is more expensive than chicken! So when my diet is strictly fish during prep, unless we go fishing up north, I'm the only one eating it as well!
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.43%

Bison is awesome and delicious, but extremely pricey.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.37%

Quote Originally Posted by soul0wner View Post
    Bison is awesome and delicious, but extremely pricey.
    I seriously want to invest in a crossbow or something! With hunting season coming up and all the deer in my neighborhood, I'm a little too tempted to just go wrangle some up with rope! lol...I don't have too many friends that hunt and only a couple other gym goers that I know who hunt, clean, and sale some of their finds...I'm seriously thinking about it! I had three in my back yard just yesterday, and they are constantly in my or my neighbors yards, because we live by a mountain park it's a natural forest preserve and the wildlife tends to wander out!
    Does anyone here hunt?
    What is the basic steps for licensing and such?
    I'm sure it varies per state, but what are the basics?
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.72%

Quote Originally Posted by WPChickDiesel

I seriously want to invest in a crossbow or something! With hunting season coming up and all the deer in my neighborhood, I'm a little too tempted to just go wrangle some up with rope! lol...I don't have too many friends that hunt and only a couple other gym goers that I know who hunt, clean, and sale some of their finds...I'm seriously thinking about it! I had three in my back yard just yesterday, and they are constantly in my or my neighbors yards, because we live by a mountain park it's a natural forest preserve and the wildlife tends to wander out!
    Does anyone here hunt?
    What is the basic steps for licensing and such?
    I'm sure it varies per state, but what are the basics?
    Bro Walmart has license so does most gas stations that sell fishing supplies!
    Buy a cheap bow from walmart and just pop them off in your back yard, search on YouTube how to clean a deer. And it will show you step
    By step how to clean the deer and process your own meet. You could spend less than 250 dollars and have meet for a year!

Similar Forum Threads

1. thanksgiving dinner
    By whodey41 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM
  2. Juice for dinner
    By Strygwyr in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
  3. Does anyone eat dinner really late?
    By drvinnybombat in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18