When you're eating clean, where do most of your calories come from?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,865
    Rep Power
    197341

    When you're eating clean, where do most of your calories come from?


    Just like the title says: When you're eating clean, where do most of your calories come from? Looking for specifics.

    Lately a lot of my calories are from peanut butter sandwiches on whole grain bread. Healthiest food I can easily make and that tastes good.

  2. Registered User
    broda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    24698

    Milk and peanut butter sandwiches for me too. Cost effective and easy. If you can tolerate it, a lot of rice can do well. A $4 bag will last me 2 weeks and I'll get 680 calories/day from 1 cup of uncooked rice.
  3. Banned
    bmftisftw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    iowa
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,582
    Rep Power
    0

    I like to get alot of my calories from dairy and I eat pretty clean. Eggs/Milk/Choc.Milk/Greek yogurt/ Cottage Cheese are all great sources. I work in a grocery store so I just classify eggs as dairy. Then I get the rest of it from like lean meats/ complex carbs like rice/oats and protein shakes
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    bklaves's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tomah, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    108

    Eggs, milk, oats, chicken, steak, almonds, PB, skim milk, greens. That is all she wrote.
  5. Banned
    bmftisftw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    iowa
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,582
    Rep Power
    0

    Here is a typical day for me.

    Protein shake upon waking up
    1 scoop soy + 1 scoop whey 45g pro
    1cup oats with a scoop of protein in it or either protein yogurt on the side or tall glass of half/half fat free milk and chocolate milk- ~41g protein
    Workout
    Post workout shake 1 1/2 scoops of soy + 1 1/2 scoops of whey 72.5gProtein
    6 eggs + 1 cup of cheese + tall glass of milk or a chobani yogurt = ~60 g protein
    1/2 lb hamburger + 1 cup of vegetables + 1 cup of cottage cheese ~62 g protein
    And if im really hungry Ill have a snack inbetween one of these meals with at least 20g of protein.
    And a protein shake at the end of the night 1scoop casein/ 1 scoop of soy

    Its a dirty bulk but its cleaner than ALOT of other bulks. I also eat fruits throughout the day like bananas, peaches, and strawberries. I also shoot for 250-300 grams of protein. I do this because pretty much everything has carbs and youre gonna get alot of calories from dairy. Now I know im going to be getting some hate, but Im not trying to be a fitness model or body builder. I like to powerlift, but if you want to be those just look at those carbs and fats and substitute other foods in there that are low in fats and carbs like tuna, etc etc you get what im trying to say. Just trying to help your bulk hopefully this gave a good idea. I dont claim to know everything as im still learning too
  6. Registered User
    broda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    24698

    6 eggs? I really wish I could like eggs that much for protein purposes. I can barely choke down 4 of them because I'm really not big on them at all.
  7. Banned
    bmftisftw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    iowa
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,582
    Rep Power
    0

    A little bit of ketchup / and some peppers go a LONG way. all about those little side flavoring. and a little bit of ketchup isnt that big of a calorie raise for a condement so its all good
  8. Registered User
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,865
    Rep Power
    197341

    Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post
    Here is a typical day for me.

    Protein shake upon waking up
    1 scoop soy + 1 scoop whey 45g pro
    1cup oats with a scoop of protein in it or either protein yogurt on the side or tall glass of half/half fat free milk and chocolate milk- ~41g protein
    Workout
    Post workout shake 1 1/2 scoops of soy + 1 1/2 scoops of whey 72.5gProtein
    6 eggs + 1 cup of cheese + tall glass of milk or a chobani yogurt = ~60 g protein
    1/2 lb hamburger + 1 cup of vegetables + 1 cup of cottage cheese ~62 g protein
    And if im really hungry Ill have a snack inbetween one of these meals with at least 20g of protein.
    And a protein shake at the end of the night 1scoop casein/ 1 scoop of soy

    Its a dirty bulk but its cleaner than ALOT of other bulks. I also eat fruits throughout the day like bananas, peaches, and strawberries. I also shoot for 250-300 grams of protein. I do this because pretty much everything has carbs and youre gonna get alot of calories from dairy. Now I know im going to be getting some hate, but Im not trying to be a fitness model or body builder. I like to powerlift, but if you want to be those just look at those carbs and fats and substitute other foods in there that are low in fats and carbs like tuna, etc etc you get what im trying to say. Just trying to help your bulk hopefully this gave a good idea. I dont claim to know everything as im still learning too
    Yeah dairy is definitely a good idea for extra calories, not a huge fan of a lot of lactose when trying to stay in low BF%s though.
  9. Banned
    bmftisftw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    iowa
    Age
    22
    Posts
    2,582
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jaycuda View Post
    Yeah dairy is definitely a good idea for extra calories, not a huge fan of a lot of lactose when trying to stay in low BF%s though.
    I would say just cut out alot of the cheese and stuff and use more of fat free cottage cheese/milk etc etc
  10. Registered User
    Oscar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    810
    Rep Power
    195158

    eggs, chicken, steak, pork, salmon, rice, oats, extra virgin olive oil. just started keto so take out the rice and oats and replace with avocado and green veggies. but lots of eggs 10 hardboiled this morning
  11. Registered User
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141049

    Fat makes up most of my clean calories. This is from eggs, nuts, and red meat. Most of my carbs come from oats and milk, consumed usually post workout. I do eat lots of fruit but it probably only adds up to about 230ish calories plus or minus 50.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Whole eggs, ground sirloin, EVCO, and red potatoes make up the majority of my calories.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,865
    Rep Power
    197341

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Whole eggs, ground sirloin, EVCO, and red potatoes make up the majority of my calories.
    Red potatoes, that's a new one for me. I'll have to give those a shot.
  14. Registered User
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,865
    Rep Power
    197341

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    eggs, chicken, steak, pork, salmon, rice, oats, extra virgin olive oil. just started keto so take out the rice and oats and replace with avocado and green veggies. but lots of eggs 10 hardboiled this morning
    What do you eat your oats with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Fat makes up most of my clean calories. This is from eggs, nuts, and red meat. Most of my carbs come from oats and milk, consumed usually post workout. I do eat lots of fruit but it probably only adds up to about 230ish calories plus or minus 50.
    Yeah, fats are definitely making up a good portion of my calories. Judging by body composition, for me personally, carbs keep me from dropping my BF% way more than fats do.
  15. Registered User
    Oscar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    810
    Rep Power
    195158

    usually a packet of splenda and some cinnamon
  16. Registered User
    mattrag's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hawaii
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,027
    Rep Power
    335098

    Clean is a hard word for me but so long as it's gluten free and sugar free I tend to eat it.

    White rice, sweet potatoes, any cut of beef pork or chicken. Some eggs (as I feel off when eating too many).
    RecoverBro ELITE
  17. Registered User
    viperc8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    104

    bump
  18. Registered User
    shockingfit's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    33

    1. Breakfast - Oatmeal + small amount of flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds + banana, whey, green tea and 10 egg whites
    2. 3. - fillers while at work- steamed chicken breast or turkey, 2 egg whites, some beans + brown rice, green bell pepper, broccoli and cucumber
    4. before workout - lean beef, 2 egg whites, some beans + brown rice, tomato, green bell pepper, broccoli and cucumber
    5. after workout - steamed chicken breast or turkey, 2 egg whites, some beans + brown rice, green bell pepper, broccoli and cucumber
    6. before bed - low fat cottage cheese, almonds, pumpkin seeds, egg yolk and omega 3 fish oil

    That was on my last bulk Had like 1 cheat meal every month!
    "Train like God is watching. Never quit!"
  19. Registered User
    WPChickDiesel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    44495

    Quote Originally Posted by bmftisftw View Post
    I would say just cut out alot of the cheese and stuff and use more of fat free cottage cheese/milk etc etc
    Fat free cheese and milks will still contain lactose sugars and still irritate a sensitive stomach.
    Better would be to opt for RAW CHEESE and RAW MILK, some RAW cheeses you can find in the health food section in grocery stores or in your local nutritional grocery store (ie,whole foods,natural foods warehouse). RAW cheese is unpasteurized which is the process that incidentally removes the very much important digestive enzymes, not to mention a hundred of other beneficial nutrients from the product. Lactose intolerant people can enjoy a much heartier and full flavored cheese without having to worry about the woes of it's processed cousin! Also you benefit from it containing more CLA than most other dairy products unless you are of course also drinking RAW milk. Depending on where you live, you will need to either specially order it, or visit the local farm in your area to purchase it. Lots of bodybuilders also drink the RAW colostrum for building incredible gains and still leaning out and keeping your immune system up to par.
  20. Registered User
    broda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    24698

    Raw cow milk is the greatest thing ever. Have a farm only a few miles from my house and I love it!
  21. Registered User
    WPChickDiesel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    44495

    Quote Originally Posted by broda View Post
    Raw cow milk is the greatest thing ever. Have a farm only a few miles from my house and I love it!
    Im officially jealous! That's freaking awesome! how much is it? Here at the one farm that is about 50 miles one way, it's $6/gallon, and their Colostrum is $12/gallon.
    I had an autistic client that I put on a RAW diet for neurological benefits, it's also good for people with epilepsy, parkinsons, and attention deficit disorders.
    Another thing is I was amazed by the excellent taste of course, but also that it had virtually no "scent" at all, like regular milk. My kids love it and ask for it a lot! If I can't get that I usually buy them organic flax milk or the organic cow milk.
  22. Registered User
    broda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    24698

    It costs me $8/gallon. It's kind of a heavy price but it's worth it I think.
  23. Banned
    jbonez's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0

    100% whole wheat potato bread
    ham (deli meat)
    buffalo chicken (deli meat)
    tomatoes
    pickles (if u want)
    hummus all over it

    owned
  24. Registered User
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14108

    Christ. Some things to point out about this thread:

    1. Peanut butter and wheat bread sandwiches the healthiest thing? Why don't you just go eat a bag of Cheetos?
    2. Good suggestions w/the chicken, steak, eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, greens.
    3. It's not carbs in general that will kill you, it's simple carbs. For that reason I try to avoid sugar at all costs when I'm cutting. I don't drink milk, not because it's particularly bad, but because it's too high in sugar compared to plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
    4. If you don't like eggs, do it like me and buy cartons of 100% natural egg whites. I throw 3/4 cup in with my protein shake in the morning. I think that's equivalent to the egg whites of something like 12 eggs, but I forget. Anywho, great source of protein, tastes great in the shake, no hassle.
    5. Stay away from raw milk. It's not a cure all, it's a scam. I am most certainly biased on this issue because I spent years of my life doing foodborne illness law (I'm an attorney). You have no idea how much devastation raw milk has caused, and the sad part is the people that are peddling it are advertising it as a cure-all. People are buying it, feeding it to their kids, who are at risk of getting very very sick (or dying) from E. coli. The farmers are selling raw milk because it's a cash cow (no pun intended).

    I won't deny that there may be some additional health benefits to raw milk. But whatever they are, they are very minimal compared to the risk of the diseases you can get from drinking milk tainted with cow sh*t. As one of the attorneys I worked with likes to point out, look where the udders are and look where the cow's a** is. Is it any surprise that the milk is contaminated with poop?

    Pasteurization was invented 150 years ago PRECISELY because people were getting sick and dying from tainted milk. Come on folks, be smarter than that.
  25. Registered User
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14108

    Quote Originally Posted by jbonez View Post
    100% whole wheat potato bread
    ham (deli meat)
    buffalo chicken (deli meat)
    tomatoes
    pickles (if u want)
    hummus all over it

    owned
    You'll have a body like Rosie O'donnell in no time with that diet.
  26. Banned
    jbonez's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0

    I am Rosie O'donnell, so thats kinda f***ed up.
  27. Registered User
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,078
    Rep Power
    54636

    I make meatloaf with wholewheat bread crumbs,
    Oats with protein honey and penut butter
    Whole milk (usually when i havn't planned enough for work)
    Cottage cheese
    Home made protien bars
    Steaks,
    Chicken Kebabs (post workout). I get double meat, humus, letus and tomato on a wholewheat wrap. An easy 600 cals.
    Rice if i still need more cals.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  28. Registered User
    owlicks's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    14108

    Quote Originally Posted by jbonez View Post
    I am Rosie O'donnell, so thats kinda f***ed up.
    Ha ha -- I'd give you rep points for that if I could but it won't let me
  29. Registered User
    Wygdwicfy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Age
    20
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    34

    Lean meats, dairy products, and lentils. Largest chunk of my calories right there.
  30. Registered User
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,455
    Rep Power
    115373

    Ground turkey, red meat, eggs, rice, red potatoes
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Easy clean calories
    By psc in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 03:36 AM
  2. Eating clean while on AAS hard?
    By rombusempire in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 05:57 PM
  3. Eating while on a cycle... clean or dirty
    By PittStud78 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
  4. Food List for CLEAN eating
    By shootmeagain in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 04:29 PM
  5. 'Clean' eating diet routine
    By Head Nurse in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in