Mayyonaise

1. Registered User

Mayyonaise

What's the deal with mayonnaise anyone? How unhealthy is it, and does it fit at all in a bodybuilders diet? Any replacements?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

Its mainly fat and its far from healthy, something a little better would be miracle whip.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

I wouldn't touch store bought mayonnaise.
    Make your own mayonnaise and never look back. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alter...#axzz1uxPK7UND
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CPennington View Post
    Its mainly fat and its far from healthy, something a little better would be miracle whip.
    Being mainly fat does not mean that it is unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepaul7 View Post
    I wouldn't touch store bought mayonnaise.
    Make your own mayonnaise and never look back. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alter...#axzz1uxPK7UND
    This.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

[QUOTE="Rodja"]

Being mainly fat does not mean that it is unhealthy.

I didn't say that. I said it was mainly fat (true) and it is unhealthy (also true) I don't know what you could even think of as being healthy being comprised mostly of fat besides healthy fats like omegas, arguably egg yolk, nuts, and some oils. But only those in moderation.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

The quote got messed up but you understand.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

egg yolks and olive oil for the most part if you make it yourself right?

nothing to bad about that
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I didn't say that. I said it was mainly fat (true) and it is unhealthy (also true) I don't know what you could even think of as being healthy being comprised mostly of fat besides healthy fats like omegas, arguably egg yolk, nuts, and some oils. But only those in moderation.
    You should look into what mayo is actually supposed to be. IMO, carbs are over emphasized and fats are underemphasized. I get between 200-250g of fat per day and not only feel much better, but perform and look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolanrox View Post
    egg yolks and olive oil for the most part if you make it yourself right?

nothing to bad about that
    Bingo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

You should look into what mayo is actually supposed to be. IMO, carbs are over emphasized and fats are underemphasized. I get between 200-250g of fat per day and not only feel much better, but perform and look better.

Bingo.
    How many calories do you intake daily? That's over 2000 calories just in fats. Do they comprise the majority of your diet? In the end it's down to personal preference and opinion I suppose. You must know high fat diets aren't right for everyone especially people on restricted calories, store bought mayo is over 100 calories for one tablespoon. And yes homemade would obviously be a much better choice, however you can pretty much make anything you want relatively healthy when it's homemade, just check out all the healthy recipes for cheesecake, brownies, pizza ect right here on AM
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

How many calories do you intake daily? That's over 2000 calories just in fats. Do they comprise the majority of your diet? In the end it's down to personal preference and opinion I suppose. You must know high fat diets aren't right for everyone especially people on restricted calories, store bought mayo is over 100 calories for one tablespoon. And yes homemade would obviously be a much better choice, however you can pretty much make anything you want relatively healthy when it's homemade, just check out all the healthy recipes for cheesecake, brownies, pizza ect right here on AM
    Fats are the majority of my caloric intake with maintenance around 4000kcals/day.

The bolded section makes no sense at all. "Restricted" calories does not mean that a certain macro should be minimized.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Fats are the majority of my caloric intake with maintenance around 4000kcals/day.

The bolded section makes no sense at all. "Restricted" calories does not mean that a certain macro should be minimized.
    How does it not make sense? I'm not saying to cut them out entirely, but a gram of fat holds more calories than carbs and protein. And for beginners trying to lose weight it's going to be much easier for them to keep there calories in an acceptable range if fats aren't the majority of their macros. IE 2 tablespoons of Mayo on a sandwich at 100 calories a tablespoon could be near 10% of somebody's daily intake and that's a very small volume of food.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

How does it not make sense? I'm not saying to cut them out entirely, but a gram of fat holds more calories than carbs and protein. And for beginners trying to lose weight it's going to be much easier for them to keep there calories in an acceptable range if fats aren't the majority of their macros. IE 2 tablespoons of Mayo on a sandwich at 100 calories a tablespoon could be near 10% of somebody's daily intake and that's a very small volume of food.
    How is lowering one specific macronutrient easier than lowering another?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

Because FATS HAVE MORE CALORIES Ppl trying to lose weight for the first time are used to having more food, 100 calories of vegetables is a hell of a lot more food than 100 calories of fats.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Because FATS HAVE MORE CALORIES Ppl trying to lose weight for the first time are used to having more food, 100 calories of vegetables is a hell of a lot more food than 100 calories of fats.
    That does not make one macronutrient easier to lower than another. Energy density does not mean that one is easier to lower than another. It may be more efficient on a gram per gram basis, but that does not mean one is "easier" than another.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

Why does it have to be "easy" to lower? I never said anything about how easy any certain Marco was to lower. You simply don't eat foods high in that macro, how is that hard? How is any macro easier or harder to raise or lower? I don't understand what you mean.
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Why does it have to be "easy" to lower? I never said anything about how easy any certain Marco was to lower. You simply don't eat foods high in that macro, how is that hard? How is any macro easier or harder to raise or lower? I don't understand what you mean.
    You make it seem like fats should be the focus if someone is trying to lose weight and this is just not true. There is much more research that favors the body composition effects of a low-carb intake vs low-fat intake. The whole notion of lowering fats is archaic and very outdated.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

That's clearly me saying that the CALORIES are easier to lower with a lower intake of fats, not that fats are easier to lower than carbs or protein, that would just make no sense. But I'm done arguing it with you, I'm sure I can go find plenty of studies that are in favor of low fat diets. You are of course entitled to you're opinion and if that's what works for you then keep it up, but not everyone is the same and no one thing works for everyone.

Best regards, Penn.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Not to add fuel to the fire but i'm going to tend to agree with Rodja. Although my own diet consists more of carbohydrate than fat, fats are not necessarily bad for you. Take for example Rodjas daily calorie intake of 4000kcals. If he meets this, irregardless of which macro is consumed more than another, then he will be meeting his specific energy goals while consuming less foods. Higher fat diets are especially useful when total calorie intake is hard to reach through the lower energy dense macros of CHO and protein.

Also, if Rogjas carbohydrate intake is low, then fat will get used for energy (by converting it into glucose). As for weight loss. It is entirely possible to lose weight while consuming a high fat diet as long as calories in is less than energy out. Irregardless of which macro the nutrient came from. But technically speaking it is easier to consume less if fats are kept low.

It all comes down to what works best for you personally.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

Don't see how this applies.

If a macro is 40fat/40protein/20carb and you are bulking at 4500 calories, it will be just as easy to drop to 3500 maintaining the same split.
    Protein: 4 cal
    Carb: 4 cal
    Fat: 9 cal

Simple math will show that it is as hard to drop carb as it is to drop proteins and fats....

Say diet is 100% carbs. Maintenance at 4000. Therefore, 1000g of Carb
    100% fat. Maintenance at 4000. 444g of fat.

You want to drop 900 calories from your diet now.

100% carbs: 3100 calories. 775g. 775/1000= 77.5% of what you used to eat.
    100% fats: 3100 calories. 344g. 344/444= 77.5% of what you used to eat.

Please explain how it is easier to drop the 22.5% of fats than it is to drop the 22.5% of carb if you are maintaining the same macro? Or why would you want to drop fat more than carbs if they are vital to produce testosterone, whereas carbs can be, well, debatable in regards to their needs. Highest test, more weight loss.

Not following the logic. We are not talking about McDonalds fat here, we are talking about macronutrients.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Don't forget that fats also help with natural test production. Consume more fat in your PCT fellas !
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Wheelersburg, OH...Richmond, KY....Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Don't see how this applies.
    Please explain how it is easier to drop the 22.5% of fats than it is to drop the 22.5% of carb if you are maintaining the same macro? Or why would you want to drop fat more than carbs if they are vital to produce testosterone, whereas carbs can be, well, debatable in regards to their needs. Highest test, more weight loss.

Not following the logic. We are not talking about McDonalds fat here, we are talking about macronutrients.
    CPennington's post was misinterpreted. CPennington even posted a few posts above "CALORIES are easier to lower with a lower intake of fats, not that fats are easier to lower than carbs or protein, that would just make no sense

This really wasnt even the argument. The posts got further and further misinterpreted as the thread continues. Just my take on everything.
    Romans 8:38-39

Save sorrow for the souls in doubt
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

I personally use Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil and see no problem with it. It's a total of 45 cals per serving with 4g fat all of which being unsaturated. Low cholesterol and sodium. Only 2g carbs with <1g coming from sugars. I don't really understand what is unhealthy about this? Would someone care to explain?
  23. Registered User

I like miracle whip better than mayo but there is nothing wrong with mayo.
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2542 View Post
    I personally use Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil and see no problem with it. It's a total of 45 cals per serving with 4g fat all of which being unsaturated. Low cholesterol and sodium. Only 2g carbs with <1g coming from sugars. I don't really understand what is unhealthy about this? Would someone care to explain?

It's not. Only by people who still follow the "fat is bad" mantra...Nothing wrong with mayo.
  25. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    It's not. Only by people who still follow the "fat is bad" mantra...Nothing wrong with mayo.
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks T-Bone! I was about to be devastated if everyone was gonna tell me that I couldn't have me some mayo on my sammiches!
  26. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2542 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks T-Bone! I was about to be devastated if everyone was gonna tell me that I couldn't have me some mayo on my sammiches!
    Seriously though, if someone told you shouldn't eat mayo anymore because its "unhealthy" would you really stop?. I mean I have a butterfinger every once in while and that is "unhealthy" but I'm not eating 12 of them so I figure its fine. If I went around searching out what people thought was unhealthy and took everyone's advice I would probably have to live in a bubble!.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Seriously though, if someone told you shouldn't eat mayo anymore because its "unhealthy" would you really stop?. I mean I have a butterfinger every once in while and that is "unhealthy" but I'm not eating 12 of them so I figure its fine. If I went around searching out what people thought was unhealthy and took everyone's advice I would probably have to live in a bubble!.
    Hell no I wouldn't stop! How would I eat my tuna without mayo!! :O The way I look at it is if I hit my macros and they don't all come from McDonalds or a Supermeat Pizza then I'm doing good! lol
  •