Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.17%

Casein Importance

I just started reading these forums so please correct me if I am wrong. I am seeing many people discount the benefits of casein protein before bed. I currently work with nutritionists and professional bodybuilders and every single bodybuilder takes some kind of slow digesting protein before bed. I read an article on here that said your body will be digesting the casein and using energy which will impact your gains. This almost made me laugh. Your body needs fuel 24/7 to work, even in sleep. If you do not have fuel, it uses other means to fuel itself, AKA your muscle/fat. Casein provides that fuel for your muscles to continue to build all throughout the night. Not eating before bed is just the same as not eating during the day. Without that protein you are in a sense reducing your gains. I am in no way saying that casein is the ONLY thing you should eat before bed, but slower digesting things are preferred unless you want to wake up in the middle of the night and eat. Please feel free to comment on your experiences with casein.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.49%

Yeah I've been taking casein or eating cottage cheese before bed for about 5 months now... Definitely noticed my muscles are a lot fuller since then and I also seem leaner. I'm actually a bit lost without it...

Im like a child addicted to warm milk before bed now! :-P
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.15%

So I take it that youre not a fan of lean gains/ intermittent fasting? That thinking is based on the notion that significant muscle breakdown doesnt occur for up to 24-48 hours of fasting.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.17%

So the way I'm understanding that is that I can only eat every other day and still gain muscle because it won't break down for 24 hours? If so, sounds a bit silly to me
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.72%

Caesin is not needed.. Hit your macros for the day is all that you should be worried about. Get it from any protein at night & it dosen't have to be caesin.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.15%

drinkin casein before bed just makes me piss all night-hense lose sleep which is probably more detrimental, real food is better in my experience
    T2
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You could also try half a scoop of casein in 250g of cottage cheese before bed so you get the benefit of whole foods. Thats one of my favorite pre bed meals.

I'll drink just casein if i am cutting though.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Beauxy View Post
    I just started reading these forums so please correct me if I am wrong. I am seeing many people discount the benefits of casein protein before bed. I currently work with nutritionists and professional bodybuilders and every single bodybuilder takes some kind of slow digesting protein before bed. I read an article on here that said your body will be digesting the casein and using energy which will impact your gains. This almost made me laugh. Your body needs fuel 24/7 to work, even in sleep. If you do not have fuel, it uses other means to fuel itself, AKA your muscle/fat. Casein provides that fuel for your muscles to continue to build all throughout the night. Not eating before bed is just the same as not eating during the day. Without that protein you are in a sense reducing your gains. I am in no way saying that casein is the ONLY thing you should eat before bed, but slower digesting things are preferred unless you want to wake up in the middle of the night and eat. Please feel free to comment on your experiences with casein.

This is extreme reductionism/simplification of a very complex system. There are a multitude of hormones that regulate "fuel" in the blood stream. Further, the free amino acid pool does not dissapear, nor does it start breaking down "expensive" muscle proteins for specific amino acids when it does run low.

Br
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.17%

Quote Originally Posted by XGabrielEdgeX View Post
    Caesin is not needed.. Hit your macros for the day is all that you should be worried about. Get it from any protein at night & it dosen't have to be caesin.
    As long as it's slow digesting, it could be anything tbh. Or even fast digesting proteins, if you wanna wake up and eat.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%

i cannot believe that people are so obtuse and delusional to believe that you have to constantly be eating to gain muscle.

it's absurd and isn't backed by any shred of evidence. our bodies don't need a constant stream of nutrients. if that was the case, we wouldn't have an intestines, and we wouldn't store nutrients. OUR BODIES AREN'T A FUEL TANK. we don't simply put a certain amount in, and so many hours or miles go by and it's gone.

i GAIN MUSCLE AND STRENGTH not eating for 20 hours and lifting on a completely empty stomach.

it is fact. it is repeatable as well.

i cannot believe i dignified this thoughtless, half-baked thread with a response.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.15%

Yeah, thats why i brought up the lean gains protocol... I mean, to each their own, but before you start agonizing about how much of which protein to take before bed, you should know theres a growing group of bodybuilders that are getting more and more ripped and are fasting up to 24 hours at a time. These are the people that would see breaking a fast before bed, as opposed to starting it, as detrimental to tgat day's "burn". There is dcience behind it as well, insulin sensitivity being a big one.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.79%

Quote Originally Posted by MDiocre View Post
    Yeah, thats why i brought up the lean gains protocol... I mean, to each their own, but before you start agonizing about how much of which protein to take before bed, you should know theres a growing group of bodybuilders that are getting more and more ripped and are fasting up to 24 hours at a time. These are the people that would see breaking a fast before bed, as opposed to starting it, as detrimental to tgat day's "burn". There is dcience behind it as well, insulin sensitivity being a big one.
    I've seen a lot of published research in animal models or obese/diabetic/sedentary subjects. Are you aware of any semi-chronic studies examining the effects of IF on fit subjects? Might be a good future research project at my next appoointment seeing as it is becoming more and more popular, and seems to have quite a bit of anecdotal evidence behind it.

Br
  14. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.33%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    i cannot believe that people are so obtuse and delusional to believe that you have to constantly be eating to gain muscle.

it's absurd and isn't backed by any shred of evidence. our bodies don't need a constant stream of nutrients. if that was the case, we wouldn't have an intestines, and we wouldn't store nutrients. OUR BODIES AREN'T A FUEL TANK. we don't simply put a certain amount in, and so many hours or miles go by and it's gone.

i GAIN MUSCLE AND STRENGTH not eating for 20 hours and lifting on a completely empty stomach.

it is fact. it is repeatable as well.

i cannot believe i dignified this thoughtless, half-baked thread with a response.
    Wait...You mean the people selling me protein supplements are lying to me?...Who would've thought it!.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Wait...You mean the people selling me protein supplements are lying to me?...Who would've thought it!.
    my nitrotech said to consume directly after my workout, need less to say i went from small tshirts to XL in 3 weeks....thanks muscletech!
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.3%

i take casein before bed and whey in the middle of the night.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%

Quote Originally Posted by MindMuscle12 View Post
    i take casein before bed and whey in the middle of the night.

lol years ago i used to wake up in the middle of the night and drink a shake.

that was ridiculous and hilarious
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.49%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech

my nitrotech said to consume directly after my workout, need less to say i went from small tshirts to XL in 3 weeks....thanks muscletech!
    Haha.. All you need is celltech ;-)
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  58 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.83%

Before one month i was looked too fat but when i started take Protein shakes in my diet and also take it after workout, then Gradually My fat has been decrease..Now present I looking slim body...
  20. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.33%

Quote Originally Posted by garnislitton View Post
    Before one month i was looked too fat but when i started take Protein shakes in my diet and also take it after workout, then Gradually My fat has been decrease..Now present I looking slim body...

Where are how did you take them? IV?. How do you eat your SPAM?. Do you mix it with your protein shakes?. Do you take the protein shakes rectally?.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.49%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone

Where are how did you take them? IV?. How do you eat your SPAM?. Do you mix it with your protein shakes?. Do you take the protein shakes rectally?.
    Haha wtf? lol
  22. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.95%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    lol years ago i used to wake up in the middle of the night and drink a shake.

that was ridiculous and hilarious
    Bro, seriously bro you're muscles are wasting away. Bro you gotta have slow protein when you sleep. Bro the body works by having a steady supply of protein. That casein protein is slow acting bro. It keeps the aminos coming while you're out bro. I wake up every two hours and down some more bro. Muscle breakdown is happening bro. Look at Native Americans bro. They weren't getting that casein in and now look at them. Very few bro. And most of them aren't real strong bro.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

If youre really worried about casein just eat some cottage cheese before bed.

24. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

I've got a tub of casein and I will probably not be buying another. I prefer to get my protein from food and since I've been dealing in this way I have personally put on more weight than I was ever able to do with all of the supps that they were pushing on me in high school. If I need more casein I'll just drink a bunch of milk before bed!
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.2%

bump
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.13%

Why not just eat what you feel like if it fits in for last meal,saying if you like turkey and cottage cheese eat that or i friggin hunk of cheese and some broccoli,i know what i like and that works for "me"tried about everything but as for "me"seems 2oz low fat chedder/2oz turkey some califlower and almonds or walnuts does the trick.

I change from night to night so i dont get bored,cottage/casien shake/whole eggs,cheese,ect..eat want you want and live.you know(or will find)what works best for "you"and that you like.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I've seen a lot of published research in animal models or obese/diabetic/sedentary subjects. Are you aware of any semi-chronic studies examining the effects of IF on fit subjects? Might be a good future research project at my next appoointment seeing as it is becoming more and more popular, and seems to have quite a bit of anecdotal evidence behind it.

Br
    Id love to know the outcome of any research if you do conduct any.
  28. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.54%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    This is extreme reductionism/simplification of a very complex system. There are a multitude of hormones that regulate "fuel" in the blood stream. Further, the free amino acid pool does not dissapear, nor does it start breaking down "expensive" muscle proteins for specific amino acids when it does run low.

Br
    God, thank you. So many people seem to overanalyze one system without understanding that it's all about "give and take." The worst culprit on this forum being insulin.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.79%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Id love to know the outcome of any research if you do conduct any.
    Sure, I'll have some preliminary results regarding the effects of betaine on strength, muscle gain, and body composition (in a well trained population) in a few weeks.

Br
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%

Casein is awesome for making protein brownies. There's a funny tutorial on how it's done, by Scivation, on youtube
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.86%

it has it place, but think about lean gains and IF protocols. That's way more time than just sleep ie 16+ without a meal and no ill effects there so....... If you need it for macro's go for it, otherwise it's effect are negligible IMO. Now if you're pro than i guess that's a different story.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

From what I've read Casein promotes the growth of cancer. Personally I don't consume it in supplement form for this reason. I will enjoy some raw cheese once in a while though.
  33. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Quote Originally Posted by skunkman
    From what I've read Casein promotes the growth of cancer. Personally I don't consume it in supplement form for this reason. I will enjoy some raw cheese once in a while though.
    So does being in the sun. Do you avoid the outdoors to?
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2542

So does being in the sun. Do you avoid the outdoors to?
    I love the outdoors but I'm not going to go strip naked and bake myself in the sun for hours everyday.
  35. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Quote Originally Posted by skunkman

I love the outdoors but I'm not going to go strip naked and bake myself in the sun for hours everyday.
    I also have to brig up cell phones. I'm not bashing our decision because i don't use casein either I just don't understand the reasoning. Do you ever talk on a cell phone?

I've honestly come to the conclusion that everything causes cancer and there is no escaping it. But I almost feel like (prepare for the broscience) if it promotes the growth of cancer then it would make sense that ( and no I'm not implying that the human body makes sense) it promotes the growth of other cells also. So I can't imagine it promoting cancer growth more than anything else that I ingest. Inb4studies
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%

Quote Originally Posted by skunkman View Post
    Link to study?
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

Obviously the study was done on rats that were also administered aflatoxins, but for me its enough reason to not go out of my way to make it a huge part of my diet considering the amount of environmental toxins the typical American is exposed to.
  39. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

In rats (as are most studies) so not necessarily relevant to humans. Based on high protein not necessarily the casein. Therefore it is concluded that protein promotes cancer growth. Do you avoid all proteins then?
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2542 View Post
    In rats (as are most studies) so not necessarily relevant to humans. Based on high protein not necessarily the casein. Therefore it is concluded that protein promotes cancer growth. Do you avoid all proteins then?
    It doesn't mention what the rest of the diet consisted of in that excerpt but the protein source was specifically casein, that fluctuated between %5-%20 of their diet. It would be nice to have the whole study to further examine the rest of the diet but I do not have them.

To answer your question no I do not avoid all protein, but I do try and keep it at .8-.9 grams per pound.

Similar Forum Threads

1. IMPORTANCE OF QC
    By sking6464 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 11:15 PM
  2. The importance of water
    By John Smeton in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 11:19 AM
  3. Importance of PCT
    By cmp007 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 7