More evidence that carbs post workout are overrated

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyLB50 View Post
    I was interested in following up some research to validate claims made in this article, until it became a product spotlight for the guys personal product... you're talking about broscience, and supplement manufacturers creating hype to generate profits, then provide a link that does exactly that?

    Science evolves constantly, so you have to stay up on research but your own physiological adaptations from life events separate you from everyone else too which is what you still have to find what works best for you individually using science as a guide to avoid unnecessary pitfalls or setbacks.
    Of course that article does, which was precisely the point in linking it! It talks about what we are talking about, then pimps a product. Seems like a lot of articles we read huh?


  2. Not the kind of article I prefer to use when learning... I prefer to use research studies with evidence backed results, the peer reviewed and published kind.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyLB50 View Post
    Not the kind of article I prefer to use when learning... I prefer to use research studies with evidence backed results, the peer reviewed and published kind.
    Like the one in the OP? The vast majority of "accepted" broscience comes from the type of article I linked. It's also commonly found in the company "write-ups" for many supplements with some extract no one has heard of that has one mouse study showing it might do something.
  4. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    So the question then becomes, does faster glycogen replenishment = increased MPS? From what I have found there doesnt seem to be anything to support this.

    i understand the point you are making with regard to dietary adherence but is that not what refeed s and cheat meals are for? I usually tell people to "suck it up" and "man up" , just wait for their scheduled refeed or cheat meal to have their indulgences but I guess I am a little meaner then some
    there are some studies that show enhanced perceived recovery / lower soreness along with the post workout carbs. Also (which leads to the 2nd part) there isn't particular evidence showing that the carbs reduces MPS either. Whether it makes a fat loss/gain different is separate from muscle growth.

    so going into the second part, its a bit like the 6-8 meals vs 2-3. If something gives you a psychological advantage it isn't a bad thing. Its not necessary, but can be nice.

    My carbs are just as treats, and a few times a week
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce

    Like the one in the OP? The vast majority of "accepted" broscience comes from the type of article I linked. It's also commonly found in the company "write-ups" for many supplements with some extract no one has heard of that has one mouse study showing it might do something.
    That's where you need to be able to critically analyze the information, source, and methodology. If a company sponsors a college research project that gets published... be extra cautious about the methodology and results, if everything looks to be done appropriately, and can be duplicated, give credit where it's due... if there was obvious bias either in structure, interpretation, or collection of data, don't put much stock in the research. In my profession I can't use broscience or give advice that doesn't have solid evidence based research results. If you read articles like you're describing that's only your fault. There is a great deal of nutrition, physiological, medical, endocrine, etc journals available to avoid reading 4 page advertisements.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyLB50 View Post
    That's where you need to be able to critically analyze the information, source, and methodology. If a company sponsors a college research project that gets published... be extra cautious about the methodology and results, if everything looks to be done appropriately, and can be duplicated, give credit where it's due... if there was obvious bias either in structure, interpretation, or collection of data, don't put much stock in the research. In my profession I can't use broscience or give advice that doesn't have solid evidence based research results. If you read articles like you're describing that's only your fault. There is a great deal of nutrition, physiological, medical, endocrine, etc journals available to avoid reading 4 page advertisements.
    These are the types of things I read, but I'm not talking about me or you. I'm talking about the "accepted" truth or broscience type stuff and where it originates. And the simple fact is a lot of the stuff started with supplement companies and continues with supplement companies.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL
    there are some studies that show enhanced perceived recovery / lower soreness along with the post workout carbs. Also (which leads to the 2nd part) there isn't particular evidence showing that the carbs reduces MPS either. Whether it makes a fat loss/gain different is separate from muscle growth.

    so going into the second part, its a bit like the 6-8 meals vs 2-3. If something gives you a psychological advantage it isn't a bad thing. Its not necessary, but can be nice.

    My carbs are just as treats, and a few times a week
    This man gets it...lol

  8. I won't try to deny that claim, a very large majority of " studies " are financed by supplement companies to increase potential revenue, regardless of actual results... regretfully.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL
    there are some studies that show enhanced perceived recovery / lower soreness along with the post workout carbs. Also (which leads to the 2nd part) there isn't particular evidence showing that the carbs reduces MPS either. Whether it makes a fat loss/gain different is separate from muscle growth.

    so going into the second part, its a bit like the 6-8 meals vs 2-3. If something gives you a psychological advantage it isn't a bad thing. Its not necessary, but can be nice.

    My carbs are just as treats, and a few times a week
    In the end this is a good approach to supplementation, nutrition, and training. it may or may not be ergogenic, or scientifically proven always... but if it gives you that perceived edge or placebo effect while not compromising your financial, health status, or get you in trouble with a PED test, go for it.

    If you know you can hit a lift or perform a feat, you're 100% more likely to accomplish it than if you know you can't.

  10. That study is a very well done acute study.

    Does anyone have any evidence why carbs were added in the first place to post workout shakes?

  11. I think this totally depends on WHEN you are working out. Obviously if your working out at night, then it may be different...

  12. Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    I think this totally depends on WHEN you are working out. Obviously if your working out at night, then it may be different...
    This is true. Almost all the studies on post workout nutrition were done on fasting subjects.

  13. For me, PWO carbs are relatively useless as I tried all that crap and then switched back to protein only didnt notice any muscle loss and got leaner while dooijng so. Win win.

    Some Old Man Wisdon for those who care.........

    This is slightly off topic here but for those who need some assistance with sanity while watching carb intake:

    I'm with all you low carb discliples as I have been fostering this lifestyle for over a decade in varying degrees. I've tried all the different styles ranging from strict keto to CKD to TKD amongst others.

    Now that Im older, I am much more laid back in terms of my rigidity (psychoticness) and have realized very little in terms of fat gain. I am not as peeled as I used to be when I was obsessed with maintaining a disciplined approach as I used to hover between 8-10% and would freak when I was at 10%. I hover between 10-12% these days BUT have the luxury of sanity, and enjoying life again (parties, festivities, holidays, vacations, etc).

    One trick I have learn that has made all the difference in the world is very straightward and rather simplistic in nature....

    If I go off the deep end with a carb-loaded indulgence/binge, I simply go VERY low calorie and pretty much ALL lean protein the following day. By the second day, I return to my low carb regimen and return to normal weight and body fat for me.

    If I go hog wild, I will also try to get in 2 workouts the next day (AM and PM) on of which is HIT cardio only alongside the low calorie/protein only strategy.

    Works like a charm. Again, nothing Einsteinian going on here and it works like a charm.

    It is in my nature to be pathologically obsessive compulsive about things I am interested in but I feel I got "lost" for a decade of my life and missed out on many simple pleasures by being so darn rigid and peculiar with this low carb mentality.

    These days, I use the K.I.S.S principle. A basic outline of my current eating strategy is: I eat lean meat and greens of any variety for every meal and include diversified forms of healthy fats with my meals. Done. I try to use a 60/30/10 ratio (P/F/C). Low glycemic index carbs come naturally from the veggies.

    When I am craving some carbs or crap food, I enjoy it, but get right back on the horse the next day. I've tried to keep my binging to immediately post work out to mitigate some of the carb binge but I really dont give that too much thought as I realized that TOO is a relatively useless concept for me since my glycogen stores are already perpetually low.

    I feel great, my skin is glowing from all the healthy fats and I enjoy being SANE again and not obsessing with every freaking meal being a make or break dilemma. So foolish. I get my carsb in at the very least 2 times/day to keep my thyroid and leptin levels in check AND by doing so, I am not as glucose intolerant/insensitive as well so when I eat my carbs, I don't pass out anymore.

    I do not necessarily subscribe to many of the bro-logic dogma out there as it gets grossly publicized then dismissed shortly thereafter so I got sick of all the never-ending debates riddles with hidden agendas (supps and p-shakes endorsing/selling authors) that I dove into what makes logical sense for me. Like the excessive protein amounts beign preached as gospel (rolling eyes in disgust). I'm at 206 lbs as of this morning with a pretty decent 6-pk in my 40's and I'm currently only getting in 180-200 grams of protein per day max (**I do use BCAAS and Leucine pre/peri/post w/o).

    Back OT: I dont tolerate carbs well and I like to be lean. The above works incredibly well for me and takes all the thinking/obsessing so my search is over for the next best dieting principle "proven" by the latest greatest smartest "guru" (vomit!). THANK GOD
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. post workout carbs
    By hli1022 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM
  3. post workout carbs
    By insane lifter in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
  4. post workout carbs
    By glenihan in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Log in
Log in