1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.82%

Pre-Workout Meal: Sour Power & Protein - Seriously

I've read good and bad things about this -

Usually, and if I have time, I know the best thing is a light protein shake about an hour - 1 1/2 hrs prior to workout, and then about 60 to as close as 30 min to workout I'll have 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread (usually about 6-10 g fiber depending on what kind of bread) with honey.

But...

One thing that has really helped me energy-wise has sometimes been to have a protein shake, and then literally a candy like sour power (one pack = 41g carbs, 33 g sugars 0 fat 1g protein 175 cal) half hr before workout.

I should note I'm now 30 yrs old, been working out a little more than half my life about 16 years and have usually been lucky when avoiding packing on too much fat.

My question is, how bad (or good?) is this? How detrimental is this pre-workout snack compared to something I think most ppl would agree is better such as low sodium pretzels or whole wheat w honey?

I've been eating candy (or things like Apple Jacks) prior to workout for a good energy burst for a while, but am trying to get serious (to the point where I am planning on utilizing AAS).

Thanks for any help!!!

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I see people snack on candy during their workout. I think that would be better so you're immediately using the sugar and not storing any of it.

Personally, I used to just use BCAAs + SuperCarb.. but it's discontinued for a while now, and I've just burned through my stockpile. I eat a snack half way through my workout now instead that has protein and carbs in it, and also use BCAAs + EAAs pre/during/post.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.81%

45mins before the gym I would drink cranberry juice with my bcaa mixed in and I felt great!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.82%

Cool thanks guys, so I'm not the only one definitely good to know! I forgot yeah I also have like 1 or 2 heaping tablespoons of glutamine right before going. That does make sense you basically use it for quick energy, although I don't know if I tried a real-deal cutting diet I might have to ditch this habit.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I eat sour patch kids at the end of my workout then a protein shake 10 mins later
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.98%

LOL Can't go wrong with Sour Patch Kids. I don't care what the occassion those things are addicting. How the hell can you eat 1/2 of pack of those things? It's impossible. YOU MUST FINISH EACH KID!!!
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

I dont do this, I usually eat a meal 2 hrs before of min 50g pro/100g carbs/30-40g fats. Then I have bcaa during since I cant eat and train, sometimes I put carbs in my bcaas.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.82%

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    LOL Can't go wrong with Sour Patch Kids. I don't care what the occassion those things are addicting. How the hell can you eat 1/2 of pack of those things? It's impossible. YOU MUST FINISH EACH KID!!!
    I have to eat their heads off first, just my personal preference...

SweetLou I think that meal makes sense, I thought it was high on the fat but I guess if it's 2 hrs it won't just all be sitting in your stomach (making blood stay in the stomach and not in the muscles). I guess the moral of the story is make sure to have carbs and protein in your system during your workout and NEVER workout hungry
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.99%

I think there's alot better choices for a pre workout sugar/energy boost=fruit,juice,ect i train in the morning and eat oats,whites,greek yougurt,coconut meat and a banana or apple and drink bcaa's/waxy maize during training about 5g bcaa/25-45g waxy works for me.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.82%

Quote Originally Posted by tubbednova View Post
    I think there's alot better choices for a pre workout sugar/energy boost=fruit,juice,ect i train in the morning and eat oats,whites,greek yougurt,coconut meat and a banana or apple and drink bcaa's/waxy maize during training about 5g bcaa/25-45g waxy works for me.
    So maybe a fruit smoothie would be another good option?? Probably healthier than sour power or sour patch stuff too.

I didn't know about waxy maize, I'm checking into it now and might try it before and / or during workouts thanks brah!
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.74%

Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107 View Post
    I eat sour patch kids at the end of my workout then a protein shake 10 mins later
    haha I do the same thing and my gf thinks I'm a dumbass for it
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.67%

Quote Originally Posted by tubbednova
    I did the whole BCAA/ waxy maize during my workouts for a while. I loved it. It helped me get through all my workouts. I would start drinking it right after I did my cardio segment. I stopped because *** stopped selling it. Any chance you know where to get some? Id appreciate it.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Local blockbuster is going out of business all movies on sale for 2.99 and all candy for 40 cents lol I bought 10 bug packs of sour patch kids haha
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. What to Eat After Workout: The Post Workout Meal [Tips]
    By wolf2009 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 08:07 PM
  2. Sour Apple Better Protein Bars review...
    By RickRock13 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM
  3. Workout and Meal Help
    By skinnyBAR10dr in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
  4. Pre-Workout meal?
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 10:54 PM