Need a good protein/energy bar for preworkout

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Need a good protein/energy bar for preworkout

I posted in a previous thread that I was looking for something quick and easy on the stomach to eat preworkout (my protein shakes were making me sick). I got some good ideas from some of you guys but then I thought what about an energy bar. I am currently in cutting mode and I would rather not have something that has 17g of fiber to avoid any stomach issues. Trying to find something that has around 20 g of carbs, very little sugar, and some protein.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks - TM

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  165 lbs.
    Answers

I have tried a bunch of different bars over the years, and 99.9% of them are filled with crap. I just started making my own. Do a google search on protein bar recipe and you will find a TON of recipes. I can't remember mine of the top of my head, but I'll find it post back. Btw MUCH cheaper to make your own to and it took me like 20 min.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by garythethird View Post
    I have tried a bunch of different bars over the years, and 99.9% of them are filled with crap. I just started making my own. Do a google search on protein bar recipe and you will find a TON of recipes. I can't remember mine of the top of my head, but I'll find it post back. Btw MUCH cheaper to make your own to and it took me like 20 min.
    I actually just went and picked up some Kashi Chewy granola bars. I am really looking for a higher carb bar as I will be eating it prior to going to the gym. The Kashi bars have very little sugar (5 g) about 20 g of whole grain carbs and about 8 grams of protein. They also do not use any artificial sweeteners. I think they are sweetened with cane juice.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mondata View Post
    I actually just went and pickup up some Kashi Chewy granola bars. I am really looking for a higher carb bar as I will be eating it prior to going to the gym. The Kashi bars have very little sugar (5 g) about 20 g of whole grain carbs and about 8 grams of protein. They also do not use any artificial sweeteners. I think they are sweetened with cane juice.
    Good choice for a pre workout bar, a good mix of fast and slow digesting carbs. I've always liked Kashi products; quality ingredients. Their cerals are really good too if you don't mind a little soy protein. Kashi Go lean is addicting!
  5. Registered User
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

I personally get nothing from an "energy bar" when it comes to a pre-workout. I feel it actually makes me more hungry and frustrated. I would stick to a great lean mass gainer or pure iso depending on your goals and go with that.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by garythethird View Post
    Good choice for a pre workout bar, a good mix of fast and slow digesting carbs. I've always liked Kashi products; quality ingredients. Their cerals are really good too if you don't mind a little soy protein. Kashi Go lean is addicting!
    Yeah I agree their cereal are great. The kashi bars are great b/c they do provide some carbs without all the sugar and they do not sit heavy on your stomach so I can eat them about 30-45 min prior to working out. They are also around 60 cents each which is way cheaper than most 'energy bars'
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    I personally get nothing from an "energy bar" when it comes to a pre-workout. I feel it actually makes me more hungry and frustrated. I would stick to a great lean mass gainer or pure iso depending on your goals and go with that.
    Yeah I was just wanting something with some extra carbs and that was light especially since I am only eating about 1800-1900 calories a day. I hit up a protein shake immediately after I workout and another one before bed (casein)
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Good non 1.3 preworkout
    By jtracy33 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
  2. Best Energy Supplemet (NOT PREWORKOUT)
    By Ligonozrk in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
  3. preworkout protein
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
  4. preworkout energy drinks crash
    By animalXXX in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM