Ok to microwave oatmeal?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.
    Answers

Ok to microwave oatmeal?

Just about every morning I have 1 cup oatmeal "bulk from farmers market" I microwave it with water for 2 minutes, then I add scoop chocolate protein and handful of frozen blueberries.

I'm trying to get my wife to try it but she says she doesn't want to cook it and doesn't want to microwave it. She says it kills the nutrients and benefits.

So... compared to stove top, is microwaving oatmeal really that much worse?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Worse how? Not going to make it bad for you in any way. May lead to a slight texture difference I guess but that's about it. I microwave mine.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Nothing wrong with it i nuke my oats every AM. I do not nuke in plastic ever since i have heard estrogen can come form nuked plastic but otherwise don't worry about nuking food.
    iTrain…iCompete…iDominate…iFor ce!
    iForce Nutrition Sponsored Athlete www.iforcenutrition.com
    www.SuzanneGermano.com
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Answers

The only difference when it comes to cooking in the microwave as opposed to the stove top is the overall quality... It is completely fine to make it in the microwave... If you do make it on the stove top, you will find that it has a little better quality as far as how it tastes and the overall texture, but it is completely fine to make it in the microwave...

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
    Just about every morning I have 1 cup oatmeal "bulk from farmers market" I microwave it with water for 2 minutes, then I add scoop chocolate protein and handful of frozen blueberries.

I'm trying to get my wife to try it but she says she doesn't want to cook it and doesn't want to microwave it.

5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

I'm trying to get my wife to try it but she says she doesn't want to cook it and doesn't want to microwave it.

Simply put: NO - microwave away.

If your wife does not want to cook or microwave oatmeal, then get her to have it cold. She can either do it on the day, or put it in the fridge overnight in a little water or milk to soften it (depending on how coarse it is), and add fruit and protein (and nuts, yoghurt, etc.) to it in the morning.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

You could check out a super human radio podcast about the dangers of microwaving food. I didn't listen to it but I think that with all the RF we are exposed to everyday I highly doubt the microwave will be that detrimental unless you are microwaving yourself.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  7. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Answers

LOLL thats my boy!

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    You could check out a super human radio podcast about the dangers of microwaving food. I didn't listen to it but I think that with all the RF we are exposed to everyday I highly doubt the microwave will be that detrimental unless you are microwaving yourself.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  222 lbs.
    Answers

what about the idea that it adversely effects the nutritional content? is it minimal, or not really at all?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    Simply put: NO - microwave away.

If your wife does not want to cook or microwave oatmeal, then get her to have it cold. She can either do it on the day, or put it in the fridge overnight in a little water or milk to soften it (depending on how coarse it is), and add fruit and protein (and nuts, yoghurt, etc.) to it in the morning.

~Rosie~
    OP, do this. I am a big fan of throwing oats in a shaker and drinking them; I hate cooked oats, but overnight oats give oats a consistency like they're cooked even though they aren't. If you let the oats sit with protein powder, blueberries, and cinnamon overnight, all of these flavors mix and it tastes phenomenal.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  229 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dylangemelli View Post
    The only difference when it comes to cooking in the microwave as opposed to the stove top is the overall quality... It is completely fine to make it in the microwave... If you do make it on the stove top, you will find that it has a little better quality as far as how it tastes and the overall texture, but it is completely fine to make it in the microwave...
    I'm the exact opposite. I prefer the taste and texture when I microwave it. Then again, I microwave with milk. My girlfriend cooks it on the stove top with water.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

I'm trying to get my wife to try it but she says she doesn't want to cook it and doesn't want to microwave it. She says it kills the nutrients and benefits.

Don't microwave it in plastic and you'll be fine.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Quinoa in Microwave?
    By lennoxchi in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM
  2. Fried and Microwave.
    By captgarrett in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
  3. Microwave degradation ???
    By hammer55 in forum Anabolics