What to eat while living out of a van on the road?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.94%

What to eat while living out of a van on the road?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some creative food ideas that I can eat while my band goes on tour for 2 weeks. I may have a cooler but not much ability to cook stuff but I'm mostly looking for non-perishable foods. I don't eat meat so beef jerky is out but I'm hoping to keep my protein high. I do eat fish but that's not really gonna work on this trip.

I'm thinking:

Nuts
    Peanut Butter
    Cottage Cheese (in the cooler)
    Bread
    Egg/Veggie/Salmon Sausage Fritta (in the cooler) (cooked before I leave and eaten early in the trip)
    Apples
    Bananas

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Protein bars, trail mix, sunflower seeds, misc. nuts, packs of "string" cheese, I'll try to think of more.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.98%

I would say a wide variety of bars to keep some variation in your taste. Drinks are nice but take up room, weigh more, cost more per gram of protein, and usually have to be refrigerated after opening.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%

Quote Originally Posted by redrobe View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for some creative food ideas that I can eat while my band goes on tour for 2 weeks. I may have a cooler but not much ability to cook stuff but I'm mostly looking for non-perishable foods. I don't eat meat so beef jerky is out but I'm hoping to keep my protein high. I do eat fish but that's not really gonna work on this trip.

I'm thinking:

Nuts
    Peanut Butter
    Bread
    Egg/Veggie/Salmon Sausage Fritta (in the cooler) (cooked before I leave and eaten early in the trip)
    Apples
    Bananas
    For protein you can take some protein powder as well. Not really food but it can help with protein and some of the other nutrients.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.23%

Tuna with the cottage cheese or greek yogurt,sardinies,clams anything like that in cans.
    Mre meals from online(military food)
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Tuna is a solid choice. I'm not a big fan of meat in cans (aside from Tuna), but I know some guys who get down on canned salmon and other fish. It's fairly inexpensive and I imagine it doesn't taste too bad either.

Peanut or almond butter and ezekiel bread is nice, but you have to keep the bread in the cooler, which is somewhat annoying.

I would focus on making sure you get enough calories by the numbers, are eating a decent amount of protein, and then bring some protein powder to supplement until you're at your desired numbers.

Whenever I'd be on the road, I always found myself not eating enough calories overall, which should probably be a bigger concern than protein.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Tuna is a solid choice. I'm not a big fan of meat in cans (aside from Tuna), but I know some guys who get down on canned salmon and other fish. It's fairly inexpensive and I imagine it doesn't taste too bad either.

Peanut or almond butter and ezekiel bread is nice, but you have to keep the bread in the cooler, which is somewhat annoying.

I would focus on making sure you get enough calories by the numbers, are eating a decent amount of protein, and then bring some protein powder to supplement until you're at your desired numbers.

Whenever I'd be on the road, I always found myself not eating enough calories overall, which should probably be a bigger concern than protein.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.94%

THanks for all the input guys. This is super helpful. I'm headed off to the grocery store now!
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  254 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Mind View Post

This is a good point. Tuna is great, and they have the tuna with packages of mayo and crackers and etc.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.94%

Greetings from the road. I'm in the back of the van at the moment. First meal was 2 slices of Ezekiel bread with mounds of tuna salad, veggie chips, 2 sticks of string cheese and an apple. Delish.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.13%

Beef jerky

1lb jacks links for $11 at sams club

*slaps self in face after re-reading original post*
    Truth
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.71%

Quote Originally Posted by redrobe View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking:

Nuts
    Peanut Butter
    Bread
    Apples
    Bananas
    Protein Shakes bro. It's as easy as adding water. It's def. less sodium than a lot of that other stuff you have listed below. Just make sure your drinking lots of water. Also Tuna isn't a bad road snack.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Living to 80
    By The Neck in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
  2. So, i'm living on my own and...
    By Jayhawkk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
  3. What do you all do for a living?
    By MentalTwitch in forum General Chat
    Replies: 93