Bcaa

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
S it okay to add bcaa to your preworkout shake? Is it a waste or not? Been having trouble getting a clear response.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
im not 100% on this but majority of people say to take bcaa seperate from other protein sources usually about 20 minutes proior

0071982WC

0071982WC

Awards
im not 100% on this but majority of people say to take bcaa seperate from other protein sources usually about 20 minutes proior
That's what I heard also..... Due to their competitive nature. Just doesn't seem very feasible since most of what we eat is rich in aminos. In a perfect world I guess I could time my bcaa in a fasted state, but not gonna happen with such a busy schedule. Thanks for your response bro. I guess I will skip the aminos. Made great gains without supplementing them so it's no big deal.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
i agree it seems like the rules of nutrition are constantly changing and even contradicting themselvs sometimes

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
I put them in my shakes. my reason for doing this is because I always thought that whey protein would fill in most of my protein needs, but BCAA's would fill all the little gaps between what my body needed and what the protein provided. I could be totally wrong, but I thought I read something supporting this at one time. but like "rhoadx" said, there's a lot of contradictions and rules are always changing. try it and figure out what works for you

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
I put BCAA's in my gallon jug of water and sip on it through out my workout "add crystal light or it'll taste like ****" this seems to have helped me

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Bcaa are different from the amino you get frome whey, they are free form and actually improve protein breakdown
Go for them pre and intra (and if you want even post)

mugen112

mugen112

Awards
One of the best time to take aminos is in the morning FIRST THING upon waking. Can't get your stomach much more empty less you wanna stick your finger down your throat. Take with orange juice.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
I take BCAA's 1st thing am, intra WO, and 2-5hrs post WO. They are quick, short bursts of aminos

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
S it okay to add bcaa to your preworkout shake? Is it a waste or not? Been having trouble getting a clear response.
Pesonally I view their are 4 ideal times you want BCAA's: Upon Waking, Before Lifting, Intra or POst workout, and Before bed. Now I have a preferences of 4:1:1 BCAA's due to the higher luecine content. Anything higher then that I have not tried.

I take my BCAA's pre and post workout. Reasone for this is that ideally I want to activate mTOR before workouts to minimize protein degradation during workouts and post workout to increase MPS and help switch the body into an anabolic state. There is TONS of research on this but in the end play around with your doses and timing.

McCoy1989

Awards
Glad I ran into this thread. I just got my first bottle yesterday ha. Thanks op!

Dropkick

Awards
I do the exact same thing but I use a free form amino acid complex I bought off ebay (Ajinomoto, the good stuff). I know there's a lot of talk about BCAA's but I figure why limit your muscles to just those 3 aminos, even if they are the most important, you're still missing out on others.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pesonally I view their are 4 ideal times you want BCAA's: Upon Waking, Before Lifting, Intra or POst workout, and Before bed. Now I have a preferences of 4:1:1 BCAA's due to the higher luecine content. Anything higher then that I have not tried.

I take my BCAA's pre and post workout. Reasone for this is that ideally I want to activate mTOR before workouts to minimize protein degradation during workouts and post workout to increase MPS and help switch the body into an anabolic state. There is TONS of research on this but in the end play around with your doses and timing.
Great post Andres. Layne Norton has done a ton of research on bcaa's. Ive used them when I first started,9.5 years ago and they do make a difference.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Same here, plus for me it also happens that the prewo dose is upon waking on empty,
I usually take 30/40gr around my wo 10gr pre, 10/15gr intra and 10gr post
optional 5gr before bed

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do the exact same thing but I use a free form amino acid complex I bought off ebay (Ajinomoto, the good stuff). I know there's a lot of talk about BCAA's but I figure why limit your muscles to just those 3 aminos, even if they are the most important, you're still missing out on others.
Have you tried PeptoPro? Its a complete protein that is absorbed very quickly. I stack this with Recoverpro immediately post-workout a carb source.

Also remember you are not "limiting" your body to these 3 amino acids. These 3 amino acids, especially leucing, can bypass liver metabolism and his your muscle faster. ALSO there are used to upregulate protein synthesis. Think of it like a catalyst more so then a source. This is why i eat 2 post-workout meals AFTER I ingest my postworkout Recoverpro. I start the process with something quick and then I continue to filter in whole food proteins that take a bit longer to assimilate.

Skyline310

Awards
Bcaa are normally taken intra workout ...
or 5 grams pre 5 grams post depends
If u can manage to drink it throughout workout
I know people that can't even drink water while working out
And On off days take 2-3 scoops in a gallon
And sip throughout day ..
That's what I do.. And btw blue raspberry xyend is awesome

nokkT

Awards
Bcaa are normally taken intra workout ...
or 5 grams pre 5 grams post depends
If u can manage to drink it throughout workout
I know people that can't even drink water while working out
And On off days take 2-3 scoops in a gallon
And sip throughout day ..
That's what I do.. And btw blue raspberry xyend is awesome
This is pretty much exactly what I do. Depending on the BCAA that I'm taking. I agree, that blue raspberry xtend is amazing. Enjoying some RecoverPro right now.

MDiocre

MDiocre

Awards
Anyone have an opinion on BCAAs in capsule vs powder form?

I've used powder the most, but capsules seem to be more convenient, especially if I want to take them at different times than when I drink my shake. If its just a matter of preference I might stick with the caps for a while.