Pastene Pesto Basil Sauce

1. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Pastene Pesto Basil Sauce

I've been looking for different lower carb sauces to put on chicken breast for variety. Anyway today I purchased a small bottle of this stuff. Wow is this stuff salty!. 550 mg of sodium per serving. I didn't see that before I purchased. A serving is only 1/4 C also. I thought pesto sauce was supposed to taste good!. It tasted like I dumped a bucket of salt on my chicken!. I ate most of it till I couldn't take it anymore and I brushed the last bit of it off my chicken. The thing is I remember trying pesto years ago at an Italian restaurant and loving it. Guess the stuff from a jar just isn't the same!.

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

spicy brown mustard bro.

usually somewhere between 0-5 cals per tsp, and get the right brand and only around 50mg sodium per tsp.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm a low carber here too. The problem I have also observed with many low carb products is that they either compensate with boat loads of sodium, sugar alcohols (laxative effect for me) or bad/unhealthy fats.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.58%

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    I'm a low carber here too. The problem I have also observed with many low carb products is that they either compensate with boat loads of sodium, sugar alcohols (laxative effect for me) or bad/unhealthy fats.

well...if you wanna HARDCORE, try garlic roasted vinegar, or any vinegar I suppose....nothing in it. I used to use it on everything back in my keto days....I do not miss those days, lol.
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.96%

Pesto is one of the quickest, and simplest things to make.

Basil, garlic, evoo, salt/pepper to taste. I use a little romano or parm cheese as well. You can also use pine nuts, etc.

Throw the basil in a blender, with the garlic, slowly add EVOO until you get the consistency you want. You can even add a small amount of water if you need to thin it out a bit further without adding additional oil. Use a clove or two of garlic first, taste it, and if you need more add more. I like mine pretty garlicky.

You can make pretty large batches and separate them into ziplocks, and freeze them. If you pour them in the ziplock, and lay them flat in the freezer, they will freeze into a thin sheet, and can be defrosted in 1-2min, by running the bag under water.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Im SOO making this today!
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    I think you thinking of the gimmicky type products that aren't normally low carb. What I'm talking about are products that are low carb naturally. I stay far away as possible from sugar alcohols. Also if your a "low carber" you should be burning fat for fuel so most of the bad/unhealthy fats will just be burned. Its all about proportions though. You can't completely cut out Saturated fats from your diet.

Here is an excerpt from "The Metabolic Diet". The diet I have been and will continue to stay on for life,

"Saturated Fats

Many of the foods recommended in the Metabolic Diet, such as red meat, eggs and cheese and butter contain saturated fats. These fats do have a tendency to raise total serum cholesterol and LDL levels in some individuals, especially those with previous blood cholesterol problems. The increase in total cholesterol is mainly from an increase in LDL although this is also a small increase in HDL.

However, not all saturated fatty acids have an adverse effect on total cholesterol. For example, stearic acid (the main saturated fatty acid found in beef) and medium chain saturated fatty acids have little or no effect on total cholesterol. Recent studies have shown that replacement of carbohydrates with stearic acid (as is done to some extent in the high-fat, low-carb phase of the Metabolic Diet) has little effect on lipid and lipoprotein concentrations in plasma. As well, in these studies oleic and linoleic acids had beneficial effects on blood lipids by raising HDL and lowering LDL."

- Page 131 of "The Metabolic Diet" - Chapter 6 "Good and Bad Fats"
  8. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.08%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    spicy brown mustard bro.

usually somewhere between 0-5 cals per tsp, and get the right brand and only around 50mg sodium per tsp.

Spicy brown mustard has really outrun its course so to speak for me. I use to use it a ton but now I really can't stand it.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.58%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Spicy brown mustard has really outrun its course so to speak for me. I use to use it a ton but now I really can't stand it.

LOL, I feel u bro. It will run its course with me eventually, and then I'll switch over to something else for a few months, and then THAT will overstay its welcome and it'll be back to the spicy brown mustard. It's a vicious cycle...
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.35%

IMO "bad/unhealthy fats" include corn, canola, cottonseed, soybean, and partially hydrogenated-anything. Saturated fat is healthy, or at worst benign. The tide of conventional wisdom is slowly turning on this.

As for a sauce for chicken breast I like a simple wine reduction: just take the chicken out of the hot pan, pour in some EVOO and scrape up the tasty bits, then dump in a chopped onion, some garlic and stir fry it for a couple minutes. Pour in a cup or so of two-buck-chuck wine (red or white works), bring to boil then turn down to simmer for about 5 minutes (for runny) or 10 minutes (for thick). Capers can go in with white wine, or mushrooms with red if you want to get all gourmet with it.
  11. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.08%

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mike View Post
    IMO "bad/unhealthy fats" include corn, canola, cottonseed, soybean, and partially hydrogenated-anything. Saturated fat is healthy, or at worst benign. The tide of conventional wisdom is slowly turning on this.

As for a sauce for chicken breast I like a simple wine reduction: just take the chicken out of the hot pan, pour in some EVOO and scrape up the tasty bits, then dump in a chopped onion, some garlic and stir fry it for a couple minutes. Pour in a cup or so of two-buck-chuck wine (red or white works), bring to boil then turn down to simmer for about 5 minutes (for runny) or 10 minutes (for thick). Capers can go in with white wine, or mushrooms with red if you want to get all gourmet with it.

Agreed as far as the fats. I don't know about the tide turning though. Maybe extremely slowly.....Good suggestion for sauce for chicken. I've got to have variety while eating low carb. Sometimes I can deal with plain stuff but it gets boring after a while.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Testosterone levels go off the scale with holy basil
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 01:19 AM
  2. Holy Basil - natural de-stresser ++
    By gdbear65 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
  3. Three Bean Salad with Walnut Pesto
    By yeahright in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0