RAW EGGS vs COOKED EGGS

LIFTEDnGIFTED

LIFTEDnGIFTED

Awards
I have been eating raw eggs, 6 at a time, for the past year and a half or so. I love them. Mixed with some yogurt and they are very delicious. I have heard a rumor however that the eggs need to be denatured to be able to digested for protein, meaning eating raw eggs is pointless. However I have also heard that stomach acid does this denaturing process so eating a raw egg is still beneficial. What do you think?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not just cook them or purchase This stuff?.

There is no more of a benefit to eating raw eggs then there is to eating cooked eggs except that you can be just like Rocky and you can get salmonella.

There are hundreds of threads discussing this very topic already though. You should just search the term "raw eggs".

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I usually add 4 eggs in the blender with my shakes, but I always worry one day of getting salmonella

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I read somewhere that about 1 in 20,000 eggs will have salmonella. So, you're chances of getting sick are very, very slim. But, just hope you're not that one!

DHumphreys

DHumphreys

Awards
I tend to put 3 eggs in both my morning and evening shake, alongside a scoop of whey... With a blender ball, it mixes well and can't even taste it. Been doing this for awhile and never felt bad from it, dispite everyone telling me I'm going to get salmonella...

My main reason for raw eggs, is just general ease of use... Pop them in and shake... No cooking or prep work, less cleaning etc.. Nice and simple.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Been doing it for 20 years with no problems. Time is my reason not to cook them.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They're probably pasterurized - no worries. I do the same ;)

I tend to put 3 eggs in both my morning and evening shake, alongside a scoop of whey... With a blender ball, it mixes well and can't even taste it. Been doing this for awhile and never felt bad from it, dispite everyone telling me I'm going to get salmonella...

My main reason for raw eggs, is just general ease of use... Pop them in and shake... No cooking or prep work, less cleaning etc.. Nice and simple.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Chico222

Awards
I wonder if eating eggs from pastured raised chickens, free-roaming no corn or soy fed eggs decrease the chance of salmonella and make them healthier to eat.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Healthier, yes. . .
Less chance of salmonella--probably not. . .
More expensive, most definitely. . .

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if eating eggs from pastured raised chickens, free-roaming no corn or soy fed eggs decrease the chance of salmonella and make them healthier to eat.
In Japan they sometimes eat their chicken medium rare and don't have any salmonella issues since their chickens aren't raised like US chickens (saw this on Bourdain I think). It may be the same case with eggs, but I'm not sure.

Sick6ness

Awards
Consuming lots of raw eggs can cause a biotin deficiency. When eggs are cooked it disables this biotin binding protein. From what ive been told, yolks contain plenty of biotin. So if your gonna eat raw, eat the whole egg.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
6 raw in the morning in my shake. 5 white and 1 whole though.
Then I usually do 6 cooked eggs at night. About 4 white and 2 whole.

Dozen a day.
God mode.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Protein will denature under various environmental changes: heat, pH, enzymatic activity, etc. Cooking eggs denatures protein, the acidic environment in the stomach denatures the protein, peptin in the stomach denatures and breaks down protein.
Bottem line it kinda doesn't matter... if time is a contraint then raw is understandable. Otherwise eating em raw just has an additional step in the breakdown process. I can understand the Rocky complex, lol. It's badass.

Eggsology also sells egg products like that too with gret shelf life and organic. Salmonella? I wouldnt worry too much in today's standards of sanitation.

Consuming lots of raw eggs can cause a biotin deficiency. When eggs are cooked it disables this biotin binding protein. From what ive been told, yolks contain plenty of biotin. So if your gonna eat raw, eat the whole egg.
^^This is the kind of information I was looking for. You have any sources on that?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
1 yolk meets the daily requirements of LDL cholesterol for the average person.

purebred

and the cholesterol concern?
http://stronglifts.com/cholesterol-saturated-fat-how-many-eggs-daily/
You eat 40 whole eggs per week. 5 to 6 eggs daily at breakfast. You eat them with veggies, really like them and feel full of energy at the gym each time your day starts with an omelet.

But everyone tells you you’re crazy eating so many eggs. They tell you eggs are unhealthy because they’re full of cholesterol. You’ll clock your arteries and die if you continue. Sounds familiar? Truth or myth? Let’s see.

Why People Say Eating Lots of Eggs is Unhealthy. Eggs contain high amounts of cholesterol. 1 large egg has about 200mg cholesterol and 5g of fat. Almost half of that fat is saturated fat.

The logic is that since eggs are high in cholesterol, a high egg consumption will increase your blood cholesterol. So by cutting eggs from your diet, your blood cholesterol will decrease. This, however, isn’t how your body works.

Facts on Cholesterol. You can find studies showing that high cholesterol levels will make you live longer and more immune to infections & diseases than low cholesterol levels. More facts:

Your Body Makes Cholesterol. Your liver makes 3-6x more cholesterol than you can get eating eggs and other animal products.
Cholesterol is Vital To Your Body. You need it for the production of steroid hormones like Testosterone and to build & repair cells.
Dietary Cholesterol Isn’t Bound to Blood Cholesterol. There’s no relation to cholesterol & saturated fat intake to higher cholesterol levels.

Benefits of Eating The Egg Yolk. Eating the yolk makes your life easier since you don’t have to separate it from the egg white each time. Eating the yolk is also healthier for 3 reasons:

More Vitamins. The yolk is full of vitamins A, D, E. Vitamin D is especially important since most people lack vitamin D.
Twice The Protein. Eating whole eggs doubles the protein intake you’d get eating egg whites only: the yolk contains half the protein.
Increased Testosterone Levels. Saturated fat and cholesterol increase testosterone production. Both are heavily present in the egg yolk.

How to Protect Yourself Against Heart Diseases. This is the real concern people have regarding cholesterol. Some things you can do.

Lose Fat. People with high cholesterol usually have excess body fat. Read the article on fat loss and apply.
Exercise. This will make you lose fat and improve your health. Check StrongLifts 5×5 if you don’t know where to start.
Eat Healthy. No more junk food, sodas, artificial trans-fats and refined sugars. Apply the 8 nutrition rules.
Get Antioxidants. Like berries and green tea. These keep your LDL particles acting normal, preventing blockage in arteries.
Relax. Stress can negatively influence your cholesterol levels. Relax, take breaks, exercise, think positive, …
Avoid Drugs. Cholesterol lowering drugs are harmful to your liver in the long-term and useless if you don’t eat healthier, exercise and lose fat.
If you tried the above and your cholesterol levels haven’t improved, then MAYBE you’re part of the minority of the population who’s genetically predisposed.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
In over a decade of dieting and working out, eggs have never been a part of any diet I've ever done....ever. I've eaten eggs prolly like less than 10 times over the last 10 years.

me = fail?? :)

WerdUp

Awards
6 raw eggs for breakfast, gone in 10 seconds. It's just so hard to beat that. gulp gulp done. Besides, I have a hard time eating 3 cooked eggs, let alone 6.

purebred

I love mixing my eggs with a chopped up banana. I'm working my weight up to two bananas and a glass of soy milk. I'm currently @ 4 eggs scrambled. I crack 4 into the Magic Bullet, pour a bit of soy milk, a dash of garlic, some pepper, parsley, blend and I'm ready to cook it. Comes out with a nice consistency and texture. :)

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I love mixing my eggs with a chopped up banana. I'm working my weight up to two bananas and a glass of soy milk. I'm currently @ 4 eggs scrambled. I crack 4 into the Magic Bullet, pour a bit of soy milk, a dash of garlic, some pepper, parsley, blend and I'm ready to cook it. Comes out with a nice consistency and texture. :)

soy raises estrogen bro. Put some coconut milk or almond milk in there instead :)

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Read a thread somewhere where a guy ate 12-15 whole eggs a day, a pound of ground beef, and a quarter cup of butter everyday for 5 months. He took a cholesterol test and it came back roughly 120.

purebred

soy raises estrogen bro. Put some coconut milk or almond milk in there instead :)
I get that a lot LOL. Thanks for the feedback, brother.

I drink a glass of silk with almost every meal and I make my protein shakes with it, too. If I happen to run out of soy milk then I'll go ahead and use whole milk if that's available in my fridge stock. That being said, I don't know if you're referring to non-GMO or GMO soy protein. I have yet to come across anyone specifying as there is a major difference in the metabolic reactions caused by one and the other.

I get blood work done monthly and my blood panel always comes back with no inconsistencies. Non-GMO soy protein has a wide spectrum of benefits ranging from lowering high blood pressure, cholesterol, blocking cancer components, maintain healthy blood sugar levels, prostate health, heart health and skin health to mention a few.

There's a lot of propaganda out there on soy. However, I don't see much, if any, specification about what kind of soy protein it is (i.e. non-GMO or GMO). The milk industry seems to have difficulty making room for soy even with its wide variety of documented benefits. If it came down to it, I'd prefer soy milk over cow milk any day. Cow milk is for a calf. Whole milk is a great way to gain weight but it doesn't change the fact that it's made for baby cows.

We can't be overly selective about information we're given and we should always implement a healthy dose of skepticism each time we are given it. Extreme example: Adolf Hitler only read literature/information that reinforced his fundamental beliefs. Therefore, he only perpetuated his own ignorance and prejudice.

For a different point of view on cow's milk, I found this website very interesting:
http://notmilk.com/

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established

purebred

http://notmilk.com

This is like the DrudgeReport of dairy products LMAO
I'm not familiar with the DrudgeReport so I can't pick up on your comparison lol. In any case, I don't believe everything I read but information is a little more credible when research is being cited as there is on many articles contained on notmilk.com. I'm just encouraging looking at both sides of all stories.

AutobotVu

Awards
Eating raw eggs is safer pausterized. I learned this in culinary school :) but normal eggs have a chance of salmonella.

BOSSisback82

BOSSisback82

Awards
I'm surprised I haven't seen this technique posted yet. I eat 6 eggs in my protein shakes only one egg with the yolk. Mine are liquid but they are still cooked also known as pasteurization. I have a bullet blender and what I do is crack my eggs in the cup, then blend it for a few seconds just to break the eggs up. Then I put it in the microwave for intervals of 15 seconds at a time taking it out each time to stir it so it cooks evenly. you can tell its cooked when it starts to get milky looking. It usually takes 7 or 8 times to cook them depending on the microwave. When its all said and done your egg protein is fully cooked but not overcooked. After all that I add 2 tablespoons of natty peanut butter, almond milk, 1 scoop of whey protein powder and sometimes a few ice cubes to cool it down. It works out to be like 70 or 75 grams of protein per shake. Just my way of doing it.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It doesn't take long to cook an egg. Fry it up!. Or Boil some eggs. Cooking eggs doesn't take longer than 8 minutes or so.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing raw eggs for awhile now, but thats just me.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It doesn't take long to cook an egg. Fry it up!. Or Boil some eggs. Cooking eggs doesn't take longer than 8 minutes or so.
Yea but it takes time to eat it too lol. Plus, I can take back 6 raw eggs but I'll have a tougher time eating 6 cooked eggs.

Raw eggs are awesome. Saves you time and doesn't do a number on your appetite so you can eat more around them too. I love them in the morning and before bed along with PB and milk. Keeps me fed all night long.

purebred

Most of us on here are Americans. If it takes longer than 3.4 secs, we don't want to deal with it.

:)

I vouch for the ridiculously small amount of time it takes to cook eggs.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I might give this raw eggs thing a go. What's the best way to prep it for best taste? Or is it just a matter of chuggin it.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Man, eggs dont take THAT long. Purebred = lol.

Yeah its just a matter of chugging it.
I find myself steering away from eggs as of late because of real high sodium too.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I cook them because I love eating eggs in many,many tasty ways.

LIFTEDnGIFTED

LIFTEDnGIFTED

Awards
I might give this raw eggs thing a go. What's the best way to prep it for best taste? Or is it just a matter of chuggin it.
make it into some kind of shake. One cup of flavored yogurt will mask the taste of the eggs fine. In all honesty eggs really don't taste like anything, it's the texture that I have a problem with. I've mixed eggs with yogurt, milk, orange juice, jam, and even chocolate syrup (on my high carb day), but a simple cup of flavored yogurt works the best.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
From Tnation: "Whole eggs are loaded with sulfur-based amino acids cysteine, methionine, and taurine. These help the liver to regulate bile production. It can also help Phase 2 of the detoxification pathway as the sulfur-based aminos act as carrier molecules to take out the trash.

Egg yolks also are loaded with phoshatidylcholine, a great nutrient for overall liver health. It helps to prevent fatty liver, and helps maintain gall bladder function. PC plays a very important role in the transport of fats throughout the bloodstream."

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I knew that cholesterol was synthesized by the liver and packed into LDL's and HDL's and blood cholesterol and atherosclerosis is dependent on liver function, not diet. But the 1 in 30,000 salmonella thing doesnt sound too risky. I might have to throw 2 or 3 jumbo sized eggs with the yolk into my shake in the morning and at night for extra protein and fat.

jontrainer

Awards
I eat about 12 egg whites and a few yolks a day. I switched to slamming them down raw(pasteurized) for a weeks and had major gas and felt very flat. they just felt less anabolic. Is that possible?

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Simpler solution. Just add egg albumin protein. ~one scoop = 7 eggs and no saturated fats to worry about or salmonella. Or simple pick up some all whites egg beaters which is pasteurized. I actually use that when I make protein ice cream.

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
when he mentioned soy raising estrogen, he was most likely referring to the Phytoestrogenic properties of many soy products. I can find the study later if you want, but I'm lazy right now. Not quite real estrogen, but easy to mix up. The amounts aren't drastic, but are notable..

Chico222

Awards
make it into some kind of shake. One cup of flavored yogurt will mask the taste of the eggs fine. In all honesty eggs really don't taste like anything, it's the texture that I have a problem with. I've mixed eggs with yogurt, milk, orange juice, jam, and even chocolate syrup (on my high carb day), but a simple cup of flavored yogurt works the best.
Man this is so true....my first egg i spit back up because of the consistency, not so much the taste. Anyway, now I crack one in a glass, squeeze some lime and sprinkle salt over it and down the hatch.....can't taste a thing. I do only do that with organic or farm fresh eggs though.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Simpler solution. Just add egg albumin protein. ~one scoop = 7 eggs and no saturated fats to worry about or salmonella. Or simple pick up some all whites egg beaters which is pasteurized. I actually use that when I make protein ice cream.
Some people want the yolk for its fat contents. I do. I wouldnt even buy eggs if I just wanted the protein. The very bioavailable protein is just a nice addition for me.. I never throw out yolks.