Diverticulitis, anyone had it?

  1. New Member
    bad375's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    59
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Diverticulitis, anyone had it?


    So I started having pain in my lower left abdomen, hurt to touch or push on it. Saw my GP yesterday, had a CT scan this morning, doctor is thinking diverticulitis, anyone else ever had this?

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,736
    Rep Power
    1317329
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    29.35%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Brock Lesnar did.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  3. New Member
    ProOne's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    42982
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    43.73%

    I have it
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    bad375's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    59
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by ProOne View Post
    I have it
    When it flares up, what do you do? The liquid diet and antibiotics?
  5. New Member
    ProOne's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    42982
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    43.73%

    Quote Originally Posted by bad375 View Post
    When it flares up, what do you do? The liquid diet and antibiotics?
    Unfortunately 10 days worth of antibiotics, broth, and jello
  6. Diamond Member
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,064
    Rep Power
    3206759
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    37.86%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

    Sucks, bro. Sorry to hear that.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  7. New Member
    ProOne's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    42982
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    43.73%

    Haven't had a flare up in 2 years so all is good...I just stay away from nuts and corn, which are the two things that flare it up.
  8. New Member
    bad375's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    59
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Just got my anitbiotics today, and I picked up jello, hello weight loss.
    This getting healthy is gonna kill me
  9. Senior Member
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3030
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ProOne View Post
    Haven't had a flare up in 2 years so all is good...I just stay away from nuts and corn, which are the two things that flare it up.
    anything inflamatory including omega 6s (exception of borage/primrose oil.

    this include red meats.

    stay away from any thing with seeds or that can get stuck in those outpatches .
  10. Senior Member
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39389
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    60%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    My grand-ma-ma and fiancee's mom both have it; I understand they have to stay away from seeds, nuts, and corn (including popcorn).

    I know my fiancee's mom found out after having repeated bouts of severe abdominal pains for several weeks.
  11. New Member
    crpav's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    193
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    61.69%

    Sorry to hear about your condition. I have ulcerative colitis so I know how digestive diseases can suck big time. Very bad stuff. I fought with it off and on for over a year before being correctly diagnosed. I lost over 30 pounds each occasion due to pain, bloody diarrhea and loss of appetite.
  12. New Member
    ProOne's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    42982
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    43.73%

    Quote Originally Posted by bad375 View Post
    Just got my anitbiotics today, and I picked up jello, hello weight loss.
    This getting healthy is gonna kill me
    Once you get it under control, just be careful about what you eat. Like I said, NUTS, specifically almonds, killed me big time. So I just stay away from all the obvious hard to digest food as has been mentioned from a few others.
  13. New Member
    bad375's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    59
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Thanks to all for the info and experiences

    The lack of food sucks, I've got the shakes from lack of calories. Jello, water and ginger ale just aren't cutting it. Intestines feel better though. Gonna try protein and water and see how that goes.
  14. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,507
    Rep Power
    6470016
    Level
    100
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    I always get pain in stomach after I eat nuts or seeds. Never been diagnosed with diverticulitis though. I've had digestive problems my whole life. Was diagnosed with IBS about 20 years ago. To this day I'm not sure if I was properly diagnosed though.
  15. Senior Member
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3030
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I always get pain in stomach after I eat nuts or seeds. Never been diagnosed with diverticulitis though. I've had digestive problems my whole life. Was diagnosed with IBS about 20 years ago. To this day I'm not sure if I was properly diagnosed though.
    IBS is a poor diagnosis.

    that just means the dont know whats wrong with you

    goto doctor and get an IgA for celiac, and lactose intolerance. and colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule out ulcerative colitis and crohns.
  16. Professional Member
    Onlychevy6's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,976
    Rep Power
    319890
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    wow you got lucky, I actually had to have 1 1/2 feet of my intestine removed cause i had perforations. Once the surgery was over i had basically a vertical C section and gained a ton of weight. I wasn't able to work out for a year per doctors request.

    Dr told the wife if i would have waited one more night i would not have woken up. I had that much toxin in my body. I went 4 days having flu like symptoms and on the 4 day i went to the ER room and had emergency surgery.
  17. New Member
    bad375's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    59
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    72.77%

    Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    wow you got lucky, I actually had to have 1 1/2 feet of my intestine removed cause i had perforations. Once the surgery was over i had basically a vertical C section and gained a ton of weight. I wasn't able to work out for a year per doctors request.

    Dr told the wife if i would have waited one more night i would not have woken up. I had that much toxin in my body. I went 4 days having flu like symptoms and on the 4 day i went to the ER room and had emergency surgery.

    Dang, man that sucks!
    I just had my second flare up in two weeks. Went to the hospital to get some I.V. antibiotics, fortunately the ct scan didn't show a perforation. I'll count my blessings
  

  
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in