Key to lowering cholesterol?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.1%

Key to lowering cholesterol?

Im currently on ostarine and S4, and i believe my cholesterol is high. I will be getting my lipids done to make sure, so im not wasting money on supps. What supplements and practices can i take to lower my bad cholesterol and raise my good cholesterol?
    The ones that i know of are: Niacin, RyR, CoQ10, fish oil, And eating a diet of healthy fiber, vegatables, grains, high in omega-3 foods(fish, nuts etc), i ve also read green tea can help.
    If my levels are all jacked up, how long would it take on average to get them back to normal?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

Toco8, Red Yeast Rice, are also good, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Life support is pretty great.

But I would say, load up on the healthy fats. Eat more salmon, more olive oil, take 3-6-9 Omega caps through the day (I take 9 caps a day myself), eat more almonds, more pecans, more walnuts, those are all great for raising your good cholesterol.

Change up your diet, lower your bad fat intake on meals you have higher carb content.

Follow those steps and do some more cardio and your cholesterol should be a lot better next time around.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

It depends on how jacked up they are. But if lets say hdl is 20, and total cholesterol 220, getting it back to normal would likely take at least 6-8 weeks. If hdl is in single digits and total cholesterol in the 300s its going to take longer
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

You know, the more I read and evaluate the research, the more I am becoming convinced that excessive CHO consumption may be the root of dyslipidemia in certain individuals who should not be at risk for it. On the other hand, excessive fat consumption seems to effect other individuals. Its quite a paradox, and soon we will have the technology to identify specific genes and then test individuals and actually prescribe a diet that would have the most positive impact on blood lipids.

In the mean time, however, a balanced intake of fats seems to have the best effect.

Severely reducing saturated fat, or replacing saturated with poly's seems to have a negative effect on blood lipids. I'd suggest a 30/40/30 mix of saturated, mono unsaturated, and poly unsaturated (focusing on high omega 3:6 ratio polys).

Br

Volek JS and Forsythe CE. The Case for Not Restricting Saturated Fat on a Low-Carbohydrate Diet. Nutr Metab. 2005 Aug 31;2:21

Volek JS, Sharman MJ, Forsythe CE. Modification of Lipoproteins by Very Low-Carbohydrate Diets. Review. J Nutr. 2005 Jun;135(6):1339-42

Forsythe CE, French MA, Goh YK, Clandinin MT. Cholesterolaemic Influence of Palmitic Acid in the sn1,3 vs sn2 Position with High or Low Dietary Linoleic Acid in Healthy Young Men. Br J Nutr. 2007; Mar 29; 1-8.

Forsythe CE, Phinney SD, Fernandez ML, Quann EE, Wood RJ, Bibus DM, Kraemer WJ, Feinman RD, Volek JS. Comparison of Low Fat and Low Carbohydrate Diets on Circulating Fatty Acid Composition and Markers of Inflammation. Lipids. 2007; Nov 29
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

It almost looks to me more like its the combination of high consumption of vegetable fats with high consumption of simple sugars
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    It almost looks to me more like its the combination of high consumption of vegetable fats with high consumption of simple sugars
    Yeah, seems to be a major theme: High fat and refined CHO consumption at a single sitting. And yes, most of the vegetable oils are terrible for you: soy, canola, corn, palm, etc.

Eat more coconuts, they are relatively great for you.

Br
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.1%

thanks for the help guys, ive already increased my cardio, and im going to start eating less red meat and more fish, i will also cut out my eggs in the morning, i would eat egg whites but i hate eggs that way. Also increase my fiber intake. I have some coq10 and RYR, i was going to pick up some niacin. Can you give me some insight on the doseage for these?
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.27%

dietary cholesterol doesnt affect blood cholesterol, there are no scientific evidence connecting the two. in fact, the liver will produce more cholesterol if your dietary intake is decreased.

eating avocados has shown to help achieve a lipid balance.
    BJJ = life
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.67%

Fish oil has been shown to help reduce LDL and increase HDL. Now if LDL is only slightly elevated this may be a good thing in turn as LDL also helps increase muscle mass.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  156 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.89%

Lower stress and more cardio .
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

Quote Originally Posted by RollinsClone View Post
    Fish oil has been shown to help reduce LDL and increase HDL. Now if LDL is only slightly elevated this may be a good thing in turn as LDL also helps increase muscle mass.
    Can you please provide a reference to this statement. I'm not aware of such, but would be interested to see why.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.28%

Quote Originally Posted by beastybean View Post
    thanks for the help guys, ive already increased my cardio, and im going to start eating less red meat and more fish, i will also cut out my eggs in the morning, i would eat egg whites but i hate eggs that way. Also increase my fiber intake. I have some coq10 and RYR, i was going to pick up some niacin. Can you give me some insight on the doseage for these?
    Re niacin, make sure you get the flushing kind (nicotinic acid), not the non-flush. I've read where the non-flush doesn't do jack for cholesterol. Most studies I've seen seem to indicate that 2-3g of niacin (1g 2 or 3x ed) has a positive affect on cholesterol ratios. It's the ratio of LDL:HDL that seems to be more important than total cholesterol (each has their own range), and niacin seems to raise HDL more than it lowers LDL. Just be aware that niacin can be hard on the liver, so you may want to consider getting your liver checked every once in a while. I also plan to start taking RYR, as I believe it tends to lower LDL, so there is a synergistic affect with RYR and niacin.

I haven't read much in the way of coq10 affecting cholesterol. However, if you're on a statin (RYR is very similar in action to statins), it's a good idea to supplement with coq10 because statins lower coq10 levels. I'd have to double-check, but I think its better to dose coq10 all at once instead of spacing the doses. I just ordered a bunch of coq10, and plan to start dosing it again at 450mg ed. I prefer ubiquinol, but its more expensive.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

eating better
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.55%

Post by AntonG42O, above is also correct that liver regulates blood cholesterol independent of the cholesterol you eat.

If you want to REALLY learn about cholesterol and how it works then leave your preconceptions behind, strap on your thinking cap and listen to the "Healthy Skeptic Podcast Episode 11". Just google and it pops right up. I don't think I've ever learned more in a 90 minute span.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.74%

@Norcal Mike

Information and knowledge regarding blood lipids/lipoproteins and the regulators of them are quite elusive. There are so many preconcieved notions and dogmatic rhetoric that has been spouted by the "powers to be" for so many years that your average PCP has no idea what the hell he/she is talking about.

In fact, we (the scientific community) are just starting to make progress toward understanding lipid and lipoprotein metabolism, and the nearly infinite influences of such.

I'm looking forward to listening to that podcast at somepoint today or tomorrow. The guest speaker is a Volek disciple (or so I would imagine...being a nutritional PhD at uconn). So for those of you who think along the same lines as your typical PCP or the FDA/AHA (reduce saturated fats, eat more grains)...prepare yourselves.

Br
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.67%

Stress and depression can play role too, which is why cardiovascular activity along with essential fatty foods are recommended

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cholesterol in foods not affecting blood cholesterol?
    By Jayhawkk in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
  2. The best cholesterol lowering supplements
    By jjohn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 12:10 AM
  3. Cholesterol Lowering Drugs- Consumer Lab Review
    By jonny21 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
  4. Diet as effective at lowering cholesterol as Statins...
    By chasec in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 09:33 PM
  5. Cholesterol lowering spreads and PHs
    By Andy2k in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 10:24 PM