paleo exceptions - AnabolicMinds.com

paleo exceptions

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

paleo exceptions

After researching the paleo diet i am convinced and want to give it a try. However i notice some exceptions are made to the diet by many people based upon their needs, regarding athletic performance, to get more carbohydrates such as (red potatos, or more tubers than usually recomended) Just wondering what some of you who do the paleo diet allow yourselfs that is not on paleo but you feel does not hurt effectivenes of the diet and actually may help your gym performance.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

i eat red potatoes, whey protein, a little cheese. just make sure to avoid grains, milk, refined sugars.
    BJJ = life
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

thanks anton i am not doing paleo yet but have eleminated almost all grains have been using red potatoes and sweet potatoes for my carb sources and seem to feel less lethargic already.
    •   

4. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

grains?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    i eat red potatoes, whey protein, a little cheese. just make sure to avoid grains, milk, refined sugars.
    if i have 100% wholegrain oats with 30.9g of carbs and ZERO sugars with 5g of fibre, is that a suitable source to be having as i am a runner
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    if i have 100% wholegrain oats with 30.9g of carbs and ZERO sugars with 5g of fibre, is that a suitable source to be having as i am a runner
    No. Grains are not Paleo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ok.Thought because it had no refined part it may have been possible. Cheers man
  7. New Member

I really do think dairy is fine for a paleo diet as long as you're not lactose intolerant. At any rate its certainly not in the same class as grains, HFCS, and trans fats.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewkowsky View Post
    I really do think dairy is fine for a paleo diet as long as you're not lactose intolerant. At any rate its certainly not in the same class as grains, HFCS, and trans fats.
    ehh milk sucks, especially the homogenized pasteurized factory kind.
    BJJ = life
  9. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Drewkowsky View Post
    It would be worth qualifying your definition of dairy in that instance.

Some do not get on with lactose, casein or whey. It depends what you are trying to cut out and why. It isn't as simple as removing lactose from the diet in a lot of cases. Someone with a sensitivity can still gain an inflammatory reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    ehh milk sucks, especially the homogenized pasteurized factory kind.
    Agreed. Talk to anyone who has grown up on a farm of a decent quality and tell them raw milk is dangerous or eggs need to be soaked in chlorinated water. I would be happy to make a gentleman's bet you will get laughed at in a lot of cases.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    It would be worth qualifying your definition of dairy in that instance.

Some do not get on with lactose, casein or whey. It depends what you are trying to cut out and why. It isn't as simple as removing lactose from the diet in a lot of cases. Someone with a sensitivity can still gain an inflammatory reaction.

Agreed. Talk to anyone who has grown up on a farm of a decent quality and tell them raw milk is dangerous or eggs need to be soaked in chlorinated water. I would be happy to make a gentleman's bet you will get laughed at in a lot of cases.
    I lived on a farm during my HS years and we had chickens and a dairy cow. I drank probably a gallon of milk everyday (she was a Jersey, which is cream heavy milk) and ate 6-8 eggs for breakfast. We didn't do anything to the milk other than strain it and it is still the best tasting milk I've ever had. Store bought milk is trash compared to it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

why not use beans or legumes as a paleo carb source? technically those are not grains..
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Exercise123 View Post
    why not use beans or legumes as a paleo carb source? technically those are not grains..
    Uhh, legumes are another category on the foods to avoid list. There are some exceptions, but not many.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Basic paleo is no grains, legumes, dairy. Grass fed meats, 'raw' type foods, like cream and butter, but in moderation. Some eat nuts and seeds, but sparingly and they usually soak them over night or do something to them to get any lectins they can off of it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Paleo Diet
    By prld2gr8ns in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
  2. My transition to paleo pic log
    By wearedbleedblue in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 11:07 PM
  3. the paleo diet
    By bulltest01 in forum Nutrition / Health