Fat at night?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Ok, this is probably a fairly stupid question...

I have been doing Keto for a while now, and it never hit me until today when I started wondering... I mean, back in the day of having carbs, it was always the whole "eat your carbs in the morning and then fade them into just proteins as the day progresses". Long story short, protein only when closer to bed time.

How does that work for fat? Same deal? I was wondering as I was pouring olive oil on my chicken for dinner, works the same way? Keeping it just protein at night, no fat as well? Perhaps little fat?

I just wonder as I probably get a fair amount mid - late in the day so that's why I wonder.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I have always had my largest fat content meal literally right before bed. Done it this way for about a decade.

Fats do more than just provide energy in the absence of carbs, they help to rebuild and repair your muscles as well. That's why I've always done my largest fat meal right before the longest period of time I'm going to go without eating again ie. right before bed.

just one persons take on it :)

thebiggerpict

Awards
I have always had my largest fat content meal literally right before bed. Done it this way for about a decade.

Fats do more than just provide energy in the absence of carbs, they help to rebuild and repair your muscles as well. That's why I've always done my largest fat meal right before the longest period of time I'm going to go without eating again ie. right before bed.

i agree,, im just after having 2 scoops of casein and 50g peanut butter last meal

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards

I agree. Also if you think about it eating steak is eating fat as well. Protein and fat go hand in hand.:34:

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
i agree,, im just after having 2 scoops of casein and 50g peanut butter last meal

LOL, that is honestly LITERALLY exactly my meal as well. Not even lying, 2 scoops casein, and like 5-6tbsp of PB.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Superb, I will continue loading the heck out of my last meal with Olive Oil and sh!t.

I really enjoy my late meal being one of those tasty crappy burgers that I buy in big a$$ box from Sam's club.

Will continue doing so then and not worry so much.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I just read in article by Hyght that a ton of fat before bed "can suppress hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL), which is needed to break down fat."

It's mentioned that the fat content in the study was significant (~40g) but the concept might still be something to consider for someone interested in fat loss.

airvine91

Awards
i look 4ward to this meal,,, such a nice tasting meal haha :)
I hate hate hate hate casein. Hate it, and I don't trust sodium/calcium caseinates at all which leaves the micellar which is all I can have anyways since I'm lactose intollerant.

I normally just have a glass of organic lactose free milk (yum yum) and two Titan cookies (20grams protein) or have egg whites with pb/toast

not clean i know... but I don't feel it's made me fattier.

thebiggerpict

Awards
I hate hate hate hate casein. Hate it, and I don't trust sodium/calcium caseinates at all which leaves the micellar which is all I can have anyways since I'm lactose intollerant.

I normally just have a glass of organic lactose free milk (yum yum) and two Titan cookies (20grams protein) or have egg whites with pb/toast

not clean i know... but I don't feel it's made me fattier.
just out of interest ,, what flavor have you tried of casein??

because i would rate the choc 9/10
and the vinella 1/10

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
i taper my fat down at night just because by that time i dont need the energy

my calories look like this per meal

1100cal
800cal
500cal
300cal

on workout days (IF type diet)

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards

Same here. Most of my workouts are late at night so I take in my largest, fattiest 1000+ calorie meal between 10-11pm or so. Then I cap off the night with a 800+ calorie shake right before I brush my teeth and go to sleep.

thebiggerpict

Awards
i taper my fat down at night just because by that time i dont need the energy

my calories look like this per meal

1100cal
800cal
500cal
300cal

on workout days (IF type diet)

i have a different mind set,,

i believe the body need alot of energy,, to keep repairing itself for about 10 hours,, while u sleep,, yes ur not getting any physical energy,, but your body need energy,, to help repair and grow

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Muscles repair and grow at rest, not while in the gym.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
i have a different mind set,,

i believe the body need alot of energy,, to keep repairing itself for about 10 hours,, while u sleep,, yes ur not getting any physical energy,, but your body need energy,, to help repair and grow
thats why all meals start right after my workout first meal has about 60g fat

makes sense. same goes for more food on off days... but that doesnt really hold up well.

airvine91

Awards
monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Try Ultra Peptide 2.0 by Xtreme Formulations. THE best tasting casein supp you will ever have. Lemon Creme Pie is my favorite but the cinnamon Roll is a close second.

thebiggerpict

Awards
By the "casein" you mean. I assume your talking about ON Casein? I tried the natural chocolate ON casein. Tasted like vomit

I've also seen ON and Cytosport Micellar... I've also been thinking about getting a bag of Casein from Protein Factory. http://proteinfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=841&cat=34&page=1#tabs
ye sorry ment to add,, on casein,,
i love the choc supreme ,, i apart from my post workout meal,, i love this meal be4 bed,,

but the vanilla was sick,, i had 2 hold my nose while trying drink it,,
if u dont like them,, what about cottage cheese ,, thats good also,, i just prefair the shakes,, with 90%water 10%milk,, and 50g peanut butter,, good meal be4 bed time,, :)

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Same here. Most of my workouts are late at night so I take in my largest, fattiest 1000+ calorie meal between 10-11pm or so. Then I cap off the night with a 800+ calorie shake right before I brush my teeth and go to sleep.
Nice. I workout at night and eat after as well. My strength is much higher at night vs early morning workouts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I'm not feeling really lazy at night, I have 5 whole eggs and 4 strips of uncured bacon before bed. If I'm lazy, which is most of the time, I'll have an egg/casein shake with 2 oz of mixed nuts. Either way, it's well over 30g of fat.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
just fyi, ive read tat eating 40g fat+ before bed inhibits hormone sensitive lipase , a fat burning hormone.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
its possible,

do you have research?
He essentially just re-posted what I said 2 weeks ago in this thread.

A quote from the article reads, "There's evidence that consuming a large amount of fat (a "fat load") suppresses hormone sensitive lipase (HSL), which is needed to break down fat. (1) Although the fat load in this study was more than a savvy trainee would normally consume in one meal (40g)."

The study is: Effects of an oral and intravenous fat load on adipose tissue and forearm lipid metabolism. Evans K, Clark ML, Frayn KN.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I just read in article by Hyght that a ton of fat before bed "can suppress hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL), which is needed to break down fat."

It's mentioned that the fat content in the study was significant (~40g) but the concept might still be something to consider for someone interested in fat loss.
Yah I know i'm bumping an old thread. But do you think you cold dig up the article you read this in? I'd be interested to read a bit more about this

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
nm, i found it. Here it is for anyone else who wants to read it

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/3_tricks_for_faster_fat_loss

I dunno if I'm down with the limit yourself to 10-15g of fat before bed comment though. I'm a big dude, I need my cals before I hit the sack to keep getting bigger, I don't feel the least bit bad about having 25-30g of fat before bed, sometimes more.

Actually, a year out of high school on a carb cycle diet I got down to 6-7% bf, and loaded all my fat for the day basically right before bed, it was something like 50-60g of fat with 6 plus tablespoons of peanut butter. Didn't seem to hinder my fat loss any, lol.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I dunno if I'm down with the limit yourself to 10-15g of fat before bed comment though. I'm a big dude, I need my cals before I hit the sack to keep getting bigger, I don't feel the least bit bad about having 25-30g of fat before bed, sometimes more.

Actually, a year out of high school on a carb cycle diet I got down to 6-7% bf, and loaded all my fat for the day basically right before bed, it was something like 50-60g of fat with 6 plus tablespoons of peanut butter. Didn't seem to hinder my fat loss any, lol.
I just looked into the original study that the article cites (Evans et al., 1998) and they actually gave 40g of triacylglycerol to patients who had just completed an overnight fast -- so it actually wasn't given to them before they went to sleep for the night. So these individuals were already in a fasted state (8+ hours), then given 40g of fat, which then suppressed HSL (to what extent isn't explicitly mentioned).

What's interesting is the study found that there was an increased escape of LPL-derived fatty acids into the circulation from adipose tissue, which seemingly runs counter-intuitive to the point made in the article. Additionally and for what it's worth, the point of the study appears to be whether or not HSL suppression can occur in the absence of insulin (which it appears it can).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin Supplements 7
AdelV Supplements 21
Supplements 29
Supplements 23
Supplements 14