Whats your opinion on gmo Foods!!!!

PimpinLow98

Awards
I have herd mixed reviews on this. What do you guys think?

PimpinLow98

Awards
Gmo foods good or bad?

I have heard from some people that gmo foods cause pretty much death to most Americans starting from the upper intestines to the liver. their has been much research on this topic over the uk and unfortunately hasn't really been covered in the USA. What are your guys ideas or thoughts on Gmo foods?

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Taste a wild strawberry, carrots and potatoes grown in your garden, or a yellow plum from your own tree and compare it to the produce of the same name in your grocery store. There is no comparison in taste. As for health.....time will tell. As a Continent, we are not getting healthier that is for damn sure.

PimpinLow98

Awards
bigger things to worry about? most everything we consume is gmo from our meats to our vegetables thats pretty hilarious you wanna do some research on this and you'll **** your pants

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Taste a wild strawberry, carrots and potatoes grown in your garden, or a yellow plum from your own tree and compare it to the produce of the same name in your grocery store. There is no comparison in taste. As for health.....time will tell. As a Continent, we are not getting healthier that is for damn sure.
There's absolutely a difference between homegrown produce and commercially grown. But the issue at hand, I believe is GMO commercially grown versus non-gmo commercially grown, which is a different debate.

I would take an apple from my mom's backyard anytime over one from the store.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
There's absolutely a difference between homegrown produce and commercially grown. But the issue at hand, I believe is GMO commercially grown versus non-gmo commercially grown, which is a different debate.

I would take an apple from my mom's backyard anytime over one from the store.
Ah well I don't eat commercially grown food in great amounts. The Monsanto co. is a problem for every farmer trying to grow their own soy/corn and whatever else the company decides to "improve".
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6262083407501596844#

I did find this as well http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm#headingA11

Honestly my diet is mainly wild meat and either locally grown or organic veggies that I have personally had a hand in harvesting. When I buy some property I plan on having my own milk cow and chickens as well. Stupid Canada will not let me (or anyone) buy unpasteurized milk , so you have to make friends with a farmer or buy your own. One example of why I do this is for this reason http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/superbugsinthesupermarket/

It will be on tonight but I am sure most people have heard of this before.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah well I don't eat commercially grown food in great amounts. The Monsanto co. is a problem for every farmer trying to grow their own soy/corn and whatever else the company decides to "improve".
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6262083407501596844#

I did find this as well http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm#headingA11

Honestly my diet is mainly wild meat and either locally grown or organic veggies that I have personally had a hand in harvesting. When I buy some property I plan on having my own milk cow and chickens as well. Stupid Canada will not let me (or anyone) buy unpasteurized milk , so you have to make friends with a farmer or buy your own. One example of why I do this is for this reason http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/superbugsinthesupermarket/

It will be on tonight but I am sure most people have heard of this before.
Sounds like you have things under control. I'll look at the links later.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, here are my thoughts:

This is what you call pseudo-science. Yes, that man probably has a doctorate of some kind, but he provides no data and no quantifiable proof of anything he says. I want to see his protocols for transfection and recombination, the statistics and figures for the claims he makes. As it stands, we have to take him at his word, and that is not science.

He mentions that the insertion point for the altered gene is apparently more important than the expression level. If you're doing homologous recombination right, there is precious little opportunity for the insertion to go wrong, so this makes me question their procedures in general.

He mentions that the modified gene is toxic to lady bugs as well as to aphids. Duh; they wanted a gene that was toxic to bugs and they got it.

They overfed the rats with the GMO food - they put as much into their diet as they could, he said. Overfeeding/overdosing has very little carryover to normal situational relevance. If you have too much of anything, it can have adverse effects.

He himself admitted he did not know if any of this was pathological.

So, what I take away from this video is that he and his group tried one particular experiment and it failed. That gene was not optimum; or their insertion of that gene was not optimum. Maybe, because I still haven't seen any data. But that leaves tens of thousands of other genes to try.

PimpinLow98

Awards
I will not feed you. If you look up his name and research group they list all of their procedures. You might wanna watch it again he states he tries to feed it normal potatoes afterward ,and the problem continues to persist. If you do research you will find out he gets fired from this company after he releases this information.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will not feed you. If you look up his name and research group they list all of their procedures. You might wanna watch it again he states he tries to feed it normal potatoes afterward ,and the problem continues to persist. If you do research you will find out he gets fired from this company after he releases this information.
No he fed them heterozygous gmo potatoes afterwards, not normal. I.e. one allele was wild type, the other mutant, and even that was too much for the mice to handle, indicating that in an diet excessively composed of potatoes containing this particular lectin (which is what he inferred the gene in question coded for) caused intestinal proliferation.

"Feed me?" You began this conversation, I was simply hoping for an actual exchange of ideas.

If you want to support the idea that GMO is bad, please bring actual data to the table.

If not, I stand with my opinion that there are more important things to worry about, and that genetic modification is simply a scientific technique, like any other that can be used to benefit or detriment mankind dependent upon usage. Failed incidences do not mean we should scrap the idea altogether, but rather continue the hunt for things that are beneficial.

You don't scrap the hunt for a therapeutic drug because your first, or even first 1000 attempts fail. You continue on until you find one that works, and that is what you use. So too should GMO follow this pattern. If this is not how GMO legislation currently sits, I am all for modification, but I know nothing about this subject, but am certainly willing to learn.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Resolve if you have the time you should give "The Omnivores Dilemma" a read.. I will warn you the author is biased but there is something interesting things he brings up throughout the book.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No problem resolve but again I will repeat the book is biased so you won't get that clear a picture of both sides but it does raise some good questions and some neat facts.

I am not 100% organic.. I do make exceptions for some food but their are others that I refuse to eat conventional.

Food Inc is a pretty good movie too.. Lots of propaganda in it but it also shows some interesting stories such as the farmer who got sued by monsanto or how perdue tres to keep their farmers in debt so they maintain control of them. A powerful story for me was the kid who died from e.coli which the strain of e.coli was a mutated form of it that is a direct result of cows who are grain fed. There isn't much science facts included such as studies so it may not be as in-depth as you would like but I will say I think it's worth the hour of time to watch it.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Resolve if you have the time you should give "The Omnivores Dilemma" a read.. I will warn you the author is biased but there is something interesting things he brings up throughout the book.
I am pretty interested in living a lot like Joel Salatin from the book does lol.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just to be clear, I'm not arguing in favor of Monsanto or for mega-corporatism in general. They have a lot of unethical practices that should absolutely be rectified and better regulated.

I really want to read this book now.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Just to be clear, I'm not arguing in favor of Monsanto or for mega-corporatism in general. They have a lot of unethical practices that should absolutely be rectified and better regulated.

Pretty sure we all understand that man. You have always seemed like a pretty open minded guy to me. Large corps. are the antithesis of a balanced and symbiotic way of living on and with this planet IMO and as time goes on they are only obtaining more and more power.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Most libraries should carrry it so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Do you have Netflix? Last time I checked food inc was available for instant streaming. If you don't have Netflix I doubt a blockbuster would carry it to rent. Homeslt I first downloaded the movie online but after watching it I went ahead an ordered a copy to support them in what they are doing

There is indeed lots of unethical practices going on and just a complete disregard for their employees and consumers but for me those aren't the big swaying points. They way the animals were treated or the wY the workers were treated didn't really change the way I viewed my food.. What did it for me was the possibility of health risk for me and my family. I know that sounds selfish but that is what really mattered to me first. Was the possibility my kid can die from a USDA inspected beef burger and after knowing their meat was infected they continued to sell it. After the recall and investigation they traced the link between this mutated e.coli to the result of cows being feed this GMO corn that then spawned this e.coli that the stomachs acid couldn't destroy. So after this when the remedy was to wash the beef with ammonia. And on top of that was the fact the USDA was powerless to shut down a meat processing plant that continually had food outbreaks. Or how oprah was sued by a meat plant for saying she may never eat a burger. The amount of power and influence they had I never imagined.

The book digs a Little deeper than the movie (I think the movie came second book was first) one cool fact from the book was how he explains corn and calls it a capitalist! Lol you have to read it to see his reasoning.. Or how he sends a chicken Mcnugget to a lab and the results are shocking. Lots of good info in the book

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
PROS: gmo foods are insurance there will not be famine again on the earth. gmo foods have allowed to cheaper production of food sources (tho these sources oft times are not in an of themselves very healthy). it has allowed low income families to feed their families nutrient poor, processed foods.

Cons: Depletion of nutrients. Fundamental altering of other food products (as judo mentioned above) the livestock, poltry that rely on these food sources. Cows and chicken and pork aren't meant to eat corn....But its cheaper than grain or freerange grazing.

most notably, it has allowed large corporations to smash small growers. the commercial food industry is controlled by a handful of companies free market my asss

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
most notably, it has allowed large corporations to smash small growers. the commercial food industry is controlled by a handful of companies free market my asss
That is another good point the movie brought up.. I think it said at once there was about 10 main meat packaging plants that handled all the beef in the states and now there are only 4 major ones and they handle about 90% of it all.. same with chicken. I had no idea these corporations were so big.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find it interesting that there's not one study done on a human model yet.

The actual "paper" that the Academy posted is kind of vague, but has good points. However, to establish a moratorium on GMO altogether is short-sighted. You don't scrap a project because first attempts fail. However, neither should you sell those failed attempts commercially.

I did not go through the references one-by-one, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of them consisted of physiologically irrelevant overfeeding protocols, which is neither here nor there.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I find it interesting that there's not one study done on a human model yet.

The actual "paper" that the Academy posted is kind of vague, but has good points. However, to establish a moratorium on GMO altogether is short-sighted. You don't scrap a project because first attempts fail. However, neither should you sell those failed attempts commercially.

I did not go through the references one-by-one, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of them consisted of physiologically irrelevant overfeeding protocols, which is neither here nor there.
I was just posting it, I haven't gone through all the research on it either. On the overfeeding point, this is true but Americans are essentially overfeeding themselves at an alarming rate anyway. I think the research in 5-10 years is going to be pretty interesting if it is not hushed up by money.