Quitting the cancer sticks. .

lurker44

Awards
whats up people? so iv been training for about a year now and have put on some quality gains. started off looking like an etheopian at 5'8" 123 and im now up to a much more respectable 5'8" 152 in just under 11 months. overall im pretty happy with my strength/size gains, but id really like to be a solid 175ish. recently i have stalled. been stuck at the same weight for about 6 weeks now. my diet is pretty decent, but i know it could be better. my question is to the ex-smokers out there. i feel like smoking is really limiting my endurance in the gym and possibly my gains. i know the health benefits of quitting smoking, but you guys think quitting smoking would jump start some fresh gains? im considering quitting smoking and adding a cardio day up some endurance in hopes that it will translate into longer/stronger workouts. im going to start a halovar cycle in a few weeks and my goal is to cut out the smokes at the same time to maximize gains

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I slowly started quitting in August (after smoking for 14 years), and had completely quit in October. I feel I am MUCH better able to utilize my oxygen when lifting, which has allowed me to lift MUCH heavier. Also, I was 135 pounds when I quit (which I had been at for over a year), and now I'm 153. I still haven't REALLY worked in Cardio yet (only a few days a month), so I can't really comment on that. But, if you're trying to gain weight, and have better workouts, I'd recommend quitting. But, if that's the only reason you're quitting, it won't work. I would HIGHLY recommend concentrating on diet first, and then as you start getting into the healthy mindset, it will be easier to convince yourself to quit. Good luck though! Not a day goes by that I don't think about smoking, and it's been almost 4 months now (I've smoked a pack since October though, I must admit). It's VERY hard. But, just keep up the good fight, and you'll win the war. Expect to lose some battles though, just so you don't get discouraged (it also makes it much less stressful as you can trick yourself into thinking you're just slowing down)!

lurker44

Awards
lol thanks for the encouragement. i know its something i NEED to do, its just when i know i will be rewarded in one way or another it makes it alot easier to accomplish a goal

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Good luck with quitting. However, should you decide not to, know that you are at a lesser risk for Parkinsons Disease. The glass is half full...

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
As an ex smoker I can tell you that you will make better gains in every aspect of fitness! I would do cardio also because the feeling you get after doing cardio and NOT smokeing is great! You will feel amazing! I would suggest staying away from those who smoke for the first month or so...it will make it MUCH easier. When I would have craveings, I would chew a stick of gum or eat an Altoid. Keeping fresh breath will make it easier and if you DO decide to have a smoke, you will realize that your breath smells like crap compared to cinnamon or mint. Get plenty of antioxidants and water to try and flush your system of all toxins...this will help. You must surround yourself with positive influence at all costs. YOU CAN DO IT!

lurker44

Awards
wow thanks for all the quick support. ok, i think im going to set a quit date of when i start my pre-cycle. hopefully the cycle combine with the quitting smoking will create some nice gains. its such a waste of money and i hate being winded from smoking. iv never done a log before, but maybe ill do a log of all this to document gains, that will probably give me extra motivation if i know people are watching too

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
wow thanks for all the quick support. ok, i think im going to set a quit date of when i start my pre-cycle. hopefully the cycle combine with the quitting smoking will create some nice gains. its such a waste of money and i hate being winded from smoking. iv never done a log before, but maybe ill do a log of all this to document gains, that will probably give me extra motivation if i know people are watching too
I would quit before starting a cycle. The aggression many people experience on cycle would probably be crazy intesnse going through nicotine cravings. I'd probably punch a baby if I had done that!

lurker44

Awards
lol alright ill try before i start the cycle cause i actually do have a baby at home and punching her wouldnt go over too well with my girl or DYFS lol

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
No, no, no...you guys got it all wrong. You shake a baby, not punch it. Jesus.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Lots of people gain weight when they quit smoking because they replace one habit with another (snacking). Just keep some healthy snacks around and maybe it'll help you get your calories up enough to start gaining again.

lurker44

Awards
i could be wrong, but i think smoking speeds up your metabolism as well which is why people gain when they quit too

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Dude, take it from me, you do not want to be cycling while going through the emotional roller coaster of smoking cessation. Been there, done that. If AAS/DS give you issues with irritability, this will intensify it enormously and maybe even have you balling and not even sure why at times. Go ahead and increase your gym time to stay busy, but do not cycle until you have nearly 90 days nicotine free under your belt. (been almost that for me now, and yet some how I still could not resist using this smiley :smokin:

LMAO!

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
i could be wrong, but i think smoking speeds up your metabolism as well which is why people gain when they quit too
Yes, nicotine helps weight loss for a few reasons. One, it reduces the urge to eat. It also provides your body with an exogenous hormone (I forget what it's called), so when you stop smoking, your body needs to adjust (which is why people gain weight when they quit). When people quit, cortisol is elevated as well. I believe nicotine also has an effect on insulin. Either way, it's still not worth it.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I think cycling is ill timed too. You will not get the full benefit of your cycle if your mind is fixated on something else. You need to quit first, get through your cravings, then think about a cycle. I would say quit first, then start planning on your cycle by stocking up on all the necessary bulk foods. You will be in and out of stores and in turn your mind will be fixated on something other then smoking. You could spend 2 months preparing for cycle easily, if you plan on doing it right. If you start to catch the urge just look in the mirror and look at the receipts and the money you have invested in your upcoming cycle. That should help you.

lurker44

Awards
yeah im really stoked about the cycle. id much rather get great gains from my cycle and look good than be puffin away. alright, my mind is made up. saturday morning i will no longer be smoking butts

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
yeah im really stoked about the cycle. id much rather get great gains from my cycle and look good than be puffin away. alright, my mind is made up. saturday morning i will no longer be smoking butts
Good luck. Money invested in your body in the form of bulking is some of the best money you can spend, especially when you look and feel good. Smoking is just pouring your money down the drain and staying small and skinny in the meantime.

We are born small and weak.
We will die small and weak.
What you do in between is up to you.

lurker44

Awards
Good luck. Money invested in your body in the form of bulking is some of the best money you can spend, especially when you look and feel good. Smoking is just pouring your money down the drain and staying small and skinny in the meantime.

We are born small and weak.
We will die small and weak.
What you do in between is up to you.
very true. i have been small and weak basically my whole life until about a year ago i got fed up with and decided instead of just sitting around wishing i could be jacked up, i should do something about it.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
A very good friend of mine has been trying to quit the last few weeks, and it isn't as easy as it sounds from what I hear. I've never smoked before so I don't know. But best of luck to you bro. You CAN do it if you want it bad enough :)

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
very true. i have been small and weak basically my whole life until about a year ago i got fed up with and decided instead of just sitting around wishing i could be jacked up, i should do something about it.
Well use that motivation to quit that habit. You are 5'8" you have a lot of weight to gain.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
A very good friend of mine has been trying to quit the last few weeks, and it isn't as easy as it sounds from what I hear. I've never smoked before so I don't know. But best of luck to you bro. You CAN do it if you want it bad enough :)
It is the single hardest thing I have EVER done (and I used to have a 160mg per day Oxycontin habit for a year or so). Every day is a struggle, but it's a fight worth having!

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
It is the single hardest thing I have EVER done (and I used to have a 160mg per day Oxycontin habit for a year or so). Every day is a struggle, but it's a fight worth having!
Well you were on a path for true disaster and I'm thankful that you are on a path of health now. Keep up the good work.

Check this out:
160mg x 365 days = $58,400
5.00 x 365 = $1,825

Total being $60,225 dollars a year. You could have looked like Jay Cutler for cheaper!

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Well you were on a path for true disaster and I'm thankful that you are on a path of health now. Keep up the good work.

Check this out:
160mg x 365 days = $58,400
5.00 x 365 = $1,825

Total being $60,225 dollars a year. You could have looked like Jay Cutler for cheaper!
Well, I was in the military (Tricare insurance), so no copays and free prescriptions. I had bilateral hip surgeries, and was on oxys for about 6 or 7 months before that, before they finally came to the conclusion I wasn't lying about my pain (which started 3 years prior to that!), and decided to fix it. But ya, I still have a HUGE stockpile, with ZERO urge to use them! Of course, the gyno they gave me isn't great (especially the lactating), and with the mood swings, libido problems, attitude changes, emotional rollercoasters, etc., I tried to kill myself once. It's amazing how they'd rather prescribe massive painkillers/antidepressants than look at my hormone levels, which were causing my problems (minus the pain).

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Let me tell you that, as someone who smoked in his earlier gym years ...

Damn - what a fool I was.

I actually only quit about five years ago - and, for me - it was probably the best testosterone booster imaginable. I was stuck - and couldn't really gain - I thought I was getting too old to build muscle anymore.

Then I quit ... to see if it would help.

Boy - I exploded. Things in the gym got easier - and my muscles got a lot larger. My pumps in the gym went extreme. It became easier for me lose bodyfat and maintain muscle. Everything improved by a factor of ten.

Not only that - but I no longer think about cigarettes. They don't play a role in my life. I don't worry about long plane flights ... or when I'm going to have my next cigarette - or whether I have enough cigarettes to make it through the day - or if I smell like cigarettes.

Nothing against smokers ... I love all you guys. But you can do yourself a huge favor and improve your quality of life by an order of magnitude by just quitting.

onemind1body

onemind1body

Awards
  • Established
In theory, quitting smoking will encourage increased snacking (upping Cals) and slow metabolism. However, those of us that follow very strict diets and macros, quitting smoking won't cause unwanted weight gain simply because the metabolism needs to normalize? I've been really thinking about this lately, and my main concern isn't snacking or upping my cals to gain weight, heLL, even maintenance I have to eat more than I want , but some kind of rebound weight gain from metabolism or cortisol being out of whack. Can someone clarify? Been smoking about 18 months and I'm really feeling letting it go is for the better , but I'm not trying to gain fat. It still should be a matter of food energy in, food energy out , right ?

rojasdave

rojasdave

Awards
smoking can lead to a decrease in blood flow to the muscles which can cause gains to be much slower. i actually quit about a month ago, and i feel so much better. not worn out too quickly and i feel like body is giving me a present by stopping them newports, better results. so go for it, they lead to nothing but death.

want2lose

Awards
Those of you wanting to quit cold turkey, more power to you... For those of you looking for assistance, please look into electronic cigarettes. I quit smoking traditional cigarettes and switched to these which are very similar to the nicotine inhalers on the market, but ALOT better because they look and feel like real ones. It is only vapor instead of smoke, with nicotine in it.. It beats patches and gum.. I can vouch for that..

Just google ECF if you wanna learn more... my name is NEWB on there if you wanna hit me up there I can lead you in the right direction if you want...

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whats up people? so iv been training for about a year now and have put on some quality gains. started off looking like an etheopian at 5'8" 123 and im now up to a much more respectable 5'8" 152 in just under 11 months. overall im pretty happy with my strength/size gains, but id really like to be a solid 175ish. recently i have stalled. been stuck at the same weight for about 6 weeks now. my diet is pretty decent, but i know it could be better. my question is to the ex-smokers out there. i feel like smoking is really limiting my endurance in the gym and possibly my gains. i know the health benefits of quitting smoking, but you guys think quitting smoking would jump start some fresh gains? im considering quitting smoking and adding a cardio day up some endurance in hopes that it will translate into longer/stronger workouts. im going to start a halovar cycle in a few weeks and my goal is to cut out the smokes at the same time to maximize gains

Dude I quit smoking a year ago and not only did I improve my physique and pack on some muscle mass in a hurry but I also became twice as motivated. On top of that my appetite skyrocketed. And I had more money to spend on supplements.
I was kinda addicted, not to the feel or anything, cuz they were gross, but just to having one lit up. I've replaced that addiction with fine tuning my workouts.

I highly recommend quitting. Chew on toothpicks and chew sunflower seeds. That's what worked for me.

Props to you if you quit man.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
20 minutes after your last cigarette- your blood pressure and pulse rate return to what they were just before your last cigarette, and your hands and feet warm up to the temperature they were before smoking.

8 hours after your last cigarette- the carbon monoxide level in you blood falls, and the oxygen level increases, so that both become normal.

24 hours after your last cigarette- the chance of your having a heart attack is lessened

48 hours after your last cigarette- your nerve endings start regrowing, so your senses of both smell and taste improve. Walking becomes easier.

By 3 months after your last cigarette- your circulation has improved, and your lung function has increased by up to 30%.

By 9 months after your last cigarette- the cells lining your airways have fully recovered, so that they remove mucus better, you cough less, have less sinus congestion, and your shortness of breath has gone.

1 year after your last cigarette- your risk of coronary heart disease is now half that of a smoker's.

5 years after your last cigarette- your risk of having a stroke is now greatly reduced, approaching that of someone who has never smoked.

10 years after your last cigarette- your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of someone still smoking. Your chances of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, gullet, pancreas, kidney, and bladder are greatly reduced, compared with a smoker's.

15 years after your last cigarette- your risk of having coronary heart disease is no greater then that of someone who has never smoked.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Would any of these positive effects that all of you are mentioning apply to smokeless tobacco, more specific, copenhagen?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Would any of these positive effects that all of you are mentioning apply to smokeless tobacco, more specific, copenhagen?
what is that? dip/chew? that stuff has other implications, mouth/gum cancer etc...

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
what is that? dip/chew? that stuff has other implications, mouth/gum cancer etc...
It's dip, I've been using it since I was 12. I think I,m ok on the mouth cancer part, but I'm always feeling tired and struggle to gain weight.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
It's dip, I've been using it since I was 12. I think I,m ok on the mouth cancer part, but I'm always feeling tired and struggle to gain weight.
yeah man im sure there are more disgusting things if you did a search, thats what convinced me to quit stupid cigarettes..the truth.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
yeah man im sure there are more disgusting things if you did a search, thats what convinced me to quit stupid cigarettes..the truth.
Yeah, I'll do that.

Sorry for the hijack lurker, good luck with quiting smoking.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
day 3 feeling awesome!!!
Excellent job man! I'm going through the same thing, so I can't overstate how happy I am to hear! It's much easier to go on a strict diet than it is to quit smoking in my opinion, but the dividends are much greater quitting smoking! The first week is the hardest, then the 3rd week, then the 2nd to 3rd month, and I'll let you know once I hit my next hard day!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Excellent job man! I'm going through the same thing, so I can't overstate how happy I am to hear! It's much easier to go on a strict diet than it is to quit smoking in my opinion, but the dividends are much greater quitting smoking! The first week is the hardest, then the 3rd week, then the 2nd to 3rd month, and I'll let you know once I hit my next hard day!
every time i think about cigs or wanting one i just say to myself "poison" because thats exactly what it is. there is formaldehyde and ammonia in those things, i cant believe ive been inhaling that for so long..

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
every time i think about cigs or wanting one i just say to myself "poison" because thats exactly what it is. there is formaldehyde and ammonia in those things, i cant believe ive been inhaling that for so long..
Actually, the ammonia is only used in the chemical extraction/reaction of nicotine to strengthen the cigarettes and make them more readily absorbed. The ammonia is not actually in the final product. But nevertheless, it is definitely healthier not to smoke!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Actually, the ammonia is only used in the chemical extraction/reaction of nicotine to strengthen the cigarettes and make them more readily absorbed. The ammonia is not actually in the final product. But nevertheless, it is definitely healthier not to smoke!
shut up man you are ruining my self propaganda!!! hahaha i looked up chemicals in cigs and they said there were 599 chemicals, so nothing good there.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
shut up man you are ruining my self propaganda!!! hahaha i looked up chemicals in cigs and they said there were 599 chemicals, so nothing good there.
You're right, nothing good in them thar cigarettes :D! After my last post, I thought about deleting it, but my laziness got the best of me!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
all good bro. try using the "poison" association, its been really working for me.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
all good bro. try using the "poison" association, its been really working for me.
For my laziness? Just kidding! Actually, I just remember how hard it is to breath when I do any kind of cardio (even walking across campus), and remember cigarettes did that to me. Seems to help, although I still have days where I feel like MURDERING people in cold blood! I really wish I hadn't even started smoking, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing (it still feels like I lost my best friend).

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
For my laziness? Just kidding! Actually, I just remember how hard it is to breath when I do any kind of cardio (even walking across campus), and remember cigarettes did that to me. Seems to help, although I still have days where I feel like MURDERING people in cold blood! I really wish I hadn't even started smoking, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing (it still feels like I lost my best friend).
lol dirty smelly best friend

airram479

Awards
  • Established

I quit cold-turkey 6-23-07. Smoking, when you think about, is a really disgusting habit. A month prior to that i finally had re-located to a totally different environment--1000 miles away from all my friends and family members who smoked, i took full advantage of the situation. Good Luck.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I quit cold-turkey 6-23-07. Smoking, when you think about, is a really disgusting habit. A month prior to that i finally had re-located to a totally different environment--1000 miles away from all my friends and family members who smoked, i took full advantage of the situation. Good Luck.
^^^ this! This is truly the only way to stay quit. I can't even visit my brother (who smokes like a chimney), because when I do, we hang out in his garage (where I smoke something else :D), but since he is smoking cigarettes, I always end up smoking with him. It's not peer pressure or anything like that, as he is very supportive of my quitting. But that's something we always did, and I'm guessing it's always going to be something I want to continue to do. I guess the only way to keep your friends and not smoke is to tell them not to smoke around you, but I doubt that'll work out well (or at least for very long anyways).

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah very hard to not smoke cigs after smoking the other thing. you pretty much have to run out of the room as soon as its done because everyone is gonna light up a ciggarette

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
yeah very hard to not smoke cigs after smoking the other thing. you pretty much have to run out of the room as soon as its done because everyone is gonna light up a ciggarette
EXACTLY :D!!! It really sucks!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
second week baby!!! going stronnggggg

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
second week baby!!! going stronnggggg
Ya, I'm starting over today actually. I started school last week, and Calculus had my nerves all frazzled! I think I smoked something like 3 packs last week! And my body is HATING me for it! Ugghhh, I hate this!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
dude keep saying to yourself, this is poison! smoke something else to pass the time lol