Just how bad does your Casein shake Taste?

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
You know, I had to hop on the Casein bandwagon. Good thing to have some slow digesting protein in you before bed.

I'm 46, and when I first started with Protein shakes, they all tasted like a variation of chalk. That's just how it was.

Well, protein powders have come a long, long way. I would say that most today are just downright tasty!

So I got me 4 pounds of a name brand Vanilla Shake Casein.

I got to tell you that I will eat just about anything, so I'm no "taste bud pansy". But this stuff I got is just so foul tasting. Make me think I'm drinking liquid Vinyl siding.

I really don't think I can take it straight. I had some last night mixed with Whey, and it was somewhat better. Maybe like smelling the siding, instead of drinking it

Anyway, my questions:
"Is this common for Casein? Does anyone have a Casein they actually like?
Maybe I should have went for chocolate?

Your thoughts.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I get mine from trueprotein, and use the premium flavoring, so mine tastes FANTASTIC :D

philek9

Awards
I have ON's banana flavor and it tastes good. I didn't like the vanilla flavor at all.

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
i like whey but use as bit of casin from time to time and yes it takes like soggy chaulk

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just busted open my big bag of TruNutrition's vanilla casein - So far, I do not enjoy it at all :lol:. It mixes very thick and isn't that great tasting (which I only bring up because Trutein is obviously amazing and their isolate is actually great, too).

I've used ON's Natural French Vanilla - which was the worst I've had.

I've also used ON's Gold Standard Vanilla - and it wasn't great by any stretch, but not bad at all. Of the 3 I've tried, it was the best I've encountered (taste and texture).

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I use that GNC Gold Standard stuff. I love it. I also pop a raw egg into it.

And I mix that all with a $15 walmart personal blender.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I've used ON's Natural French Vanilla - which was the worst I've had.

I've also used ON's Gold Standard Vanilla - and it wasn't great by any stretch, but not bad at all. Of the 3 I've tried, it was the best I've encountered (taste and texture).

I always found ON's vanilla to be some NASTY stuff as well. Which is odd, cuz I mean I like vanilla, and I've had other vanilla powders that I think are ok. But damn man, something about ON's vanilla is just awful.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Can I just say.. Chocolate Peanut Butter. But if this **** starts going out of stock I'll be pissed at every single one of you lol.

ChrisSurf

Awards
I just busted open my big bag of TruNutrition's vanilla casein - So far, I do not enjoy it at all :lol:. It mixes very thick and isn't that great tasting (which I only bring up because Trutein is obviously amazing and their isolate is actually great, too).
Yeh their regular iso is absolutley amazing, best imo. But for casein...I don't think it matters where you go, casein just gives a weird, blah chaulky taste to me I don't like.

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
I see I'm not alone.

At first I mixed it up kinda on the thick side. Initially thought it had a cool gummy-jelly like consistency. But the taste - dag-gone awful :(

Maybe I'll try blending it up with some peanut butter and whole milk. It is still pretty low carb, and PB kills all flavor, except for its own.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I get unflavored casein, so it tastes as good or as bad as I want it to be.

rush808

rush808

Awards
the ON Vanilla Casein definitely has a bad after taste to it... maybe you can throw in half a scoop of your perfered whey to ofset the flavor?

and dont even try the pro-bolic strawberry.

IMO - carmel, chocolate ( any variation ) coffee, PB would be the best for flavor in the Casein dept.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
IMO chocolate is always a slightly safer bet then a vanilla. There has to be some way to better the taste, like for instance in a blender with a big scoop of PB. You could also use some frozen strawberries or something. If you can't tolerate MHP's 12 hour protein was pretty good and suited me fine for a pre-bed shake.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
i like gold standard choc. but what i do is put like 3scoops in blender with enough water to make it like a thick batter start blending adding water but keeping it really thick and use a spatula to get it out and throw it in fridge for an hour and its like pudding

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cassin is a difficult protein to make taste good. Unfortunately it's also the best for bodybuilding purposes generally. True proteins premium flavors like Dutch chocolate are okay, very chalky. Tru nutrition sciences cassin is actually pretty good as far as cassin goes, it's a little more grainy. Either or will actually taste good for a month or so than you get sick of them and have yo change it up. Tru nutritions trutein is a 40/40/20 blend of cassin whey and egg protein and the chocolate pb cup taste stupid good. I got my whole family into it. You can't o wrong with trutein but it doesn't cost slightly more but still a value at 9 bucks a lb.

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
extreme forumlations cinnamon roll....wow....its not even close anymore

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Can I just say.. Chocolate Peanut Butter. But if this **** starts going out of stock I'll be pissed at every single one of you lol.
x2

I've been using ON Chocolate Peanut Butter for about six months. Most of the time i change flavor every other month. But this stuff is awsome i look forward to my nightly casein shake everyday.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Has anybody had the cookies and cream ON casein? And is it any good? Usually cookies and cream flavor is the bomb. ON's gold whey cookies n cream is awesome!

DevlinRD

Awards
Has anybody had the cookies and cream ON casein? And is it any good? Usually cookies and cream flavor is the bomb. ON's gold whey cookies n cream is awesome!
on's whey cookie and cream is ****...with water anyway, need two scoops to taste decent.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
I really like my TruNutrition's vanilla casein and the chocolate is ok but not as good as the vanilla.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I really like my TruNutrition's vanilla casein and the chocolate is ok but not as good as the vanilla.
Try mixing some Hersheys chocolate syrup in your vanilla shake. I tried it the other day and it was pretty good.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
casein isn't the best tasting, but it's not horrible....mix in a half a scoop of whey or something and it makes it a lot better

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
All good replies and advice, my bruthas.

This thread's got a lot of guidos posting in it. Little Gotti, Capone, Machveli, Gaspari.

You'se guys (at least the names) remind me of my North Jersey lifting roots! Guys like Joe BagaDoughnuts - and not everybody up there acts like The Situation, right?

I've been blending up 3/4 scoop of ON Casein, nasty aftertaste and all, with whole milk, egg whites, PB, 1/2 scoop Vanilla Whey and it actually tastes OK. Low carbs, helps me keep my lean on

franklin

Awards
I've tried 3 from ON

fav to least fave

1. PB
2. Vanilla
3. Cookies and cream

Like some of the others posted, I actually look fwd to my shake every night. Aside from steak it is probably the best tasting thing I eat everyday.

1.5 Cups Milk
4-6 Ice Cubes
1 Scoop All Natural Peanut Butter
5 G's glutamine (if I worked out twice that day)

I always use the blender, otherwise it mixes like crap.

Tastes like a Choc Milk Shake.

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
best tasting shakes out there, the cinn roll is nuts, i havent even tried any of the others

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Is ON's casein thick enough to make pudding out of with just water and PB, or do you HAVE to use milk to get it thick enough?

trytestim

Awards
Try the Six Star brand at Wal-Mart and similar places. The casein is the best I've had. It's 17 servings @ 50grams for I think $19. They have several products. About to try the whey after my O.N. runs out. It's a MuscleTech product but dont let that scare you off.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is ON's casein thick enough to make pudding out of with just water and PB, or do you HAVE to use milk to get it thick enough?
I use milk with my casein shake and its just the right consistency. Not too thick and not too thin. I use ON casein and it does taste great too in about every flavor I've tried

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I use milk with my casein shake and its just the right consistency. Not too thick and not too thin. I use ON casein and it does taste great too in about every flavor I've tried
Thanks bro. I use a cup of unsweetened almond milk with mine and it's AWESOME! Mixes up into pudding in my magic bullet beautifully. And the chocolate peanut butter is great!

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Using Body Science Casein... "Splitt Pear" and "Double chocolate almond".. Best tasting Casein I've tried, and it's real cheap too :D:D

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
ON Cookies 'n Cream tastes like doo-doo grits.

Tranzlogic

Awards
I eat 2 scoops of a non flavored, plain casein mixed with 1 cup of organic, non sweetened soy milk every night. It's so thick I have top eat it with a spoon. Not tasty lol. But works wonders. :)

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
That sounds pretty hardcore, there Tranzlogic. Pure Casein, no artificial flavorings. Is it jelly-like - a gelatinous mass?

Did ya ever try unsweetened Almond milk? I've never been much for Soy, plus I believe the Soy milk has more carbs than the Almond milk.

Last night I blended my foul tasting ON Casein Vanilla w/ nat PB and some awesome Truprotein blend (I just received - Whey 60% Casein 25% Milk Pro 15%). The blend wasn't too bad.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
That sounds pretty hardcore, there Tranzlogic. Pure Casein, no artificial flavorings. Is it jelly-like - a gelatinous mass?

Did ya ever try unsweetened Almond milk? I've never been much for Soy, plus I believe the Soy milk has more carbs than the Almond milk.

Last night I blended my foul tasting ON Casein Vanilla w/ nat PB and some awesome Truprotein blend (I just received - Whey 60% Casein 25% Milk Pro 15%). The blend wasn't too bad.

I make protein pudding out of my ON casein and unsweetened almond milk every night :)

SinewySig

SinewySig

Awards
I'm not sure why all of the negative feedback on ON Vanilla Casein, but I love it. I add natural peanut butter to it and mix it into a pudding consitency and throw it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. It tastes like something I shouldn't be eating! Good stuff!

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure why all of the negative feedback on ON Vanilla Casein, but I love it. I add natural peanut butter to it and mix it into a pudding consitency and throw it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. It tastes like something I shouldn't be eating! Good stuff!
This is exactly what I do. Tastes frakkin awesome to me!