Getting enough fat to maintain testosterone levels..

  1. New Member
    pittguy578's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%

    Getting enough fat to maintain testosterone levels..


    I am a hard gainer. It may be due to the fact I do not take in a lot of "fat" calories which may decrease my testosterone levels. I am trying to increase the fat in my diet, but I want to make sure the kind of fat I am taking in will actually increase my testosterone levels. Is taking in fats from things like peanut butter going to do anything or do I need cholesterol i.e. red meats?
    What is the best and easiest source of "good" fat?

  2. New Member
    WetWorks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    79.22%

    you do need cholesterol to stimulate Test production and you also need your EFA's. fat isn't bad for you like it has been preached. are you consuming 330g protein everyday?
  3. New Member
    pittguy578's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%

    I am not trying to "bulk" up. Just trying to gain muscle mass..maybe 5-10 LBS.
    I am a 32 year old male.. I probably take in around 1 gram of protein per body weight which is around 165.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    whole eggs, salmon, fish oil, organic butter, uncured bacon, steak
  5. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,176
    Rep Power
    364605
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    90.29%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by pittguy578 View Post
    I am a hard gainer. It may be due to the fact I do not take in a lot of "fat" calories which may decrease my testosterone levels. I am trying to increase the fat in my diet, but I want to make sure the kind of fat I am taking in will actually increase my testosterone levels. Is taking in fats from things like peanut butter going to do anything or do I need cholesterol i.e. red meats?
    What is the best and easiest source of "good" fat?
    You need ALL kinds of fat to some degree in your diet.

    The easiest way to get good fats is though oils (i.e. flaxseed, hempseed, olive, etc.), supplementation (i.e. CLA, fish, etc.), or food (i.e. meat, fish, nuts, etc.).

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.14%

    I doubt your issue is related to fat intake. The body is pretty efficient at producing cholesterol without excessive intake of fats or dietary cholesterol.
  7. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    I doubt your issue is related to fat intake. The body is pretty efficient at producing cholesterol without excessive intake of fats or dietary cholesterol.
    yea but it is designed to consume lots of fat. our ancestors would kill an animal and eat it whole with all the fat that comes with it. today we eat so many lean cuts of meat it only makes sense to add additional fat to the diet.
  8. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    yea but it is designed to consume lots of fat. our ancestors would kill an animal and eat it whole with all the fat that comes with it. today we eat so many lean cuts of meat it only makes sense to add additional fat to the diet.
    I understand what your getting at, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good comparison. Our ancestors ate like that because they didn't know when there next meal would come. Fats are our bodies stored form of energy, so in times of possible starvation, a high fat diet would be beneficial.

    There is some research showing the benefits of high fat vegan diets, but the fat source is from plants only.
  9. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    your body actually prefers fats as a source of energy for any activity up to 90% intensity. so a person who just goes through daily life and lifts 3 days a week barely depletes their glycogen stores. they still need some post workout carbs to replenish whatever glycogen they used but not much. the point is, a high fat low carb diet is keeps insulin and blood sugar at a good level and maintains the best body composition. im sure ill get responses from "oats and pasta everyday" people but this has been working very well for me and tons of other people (see Paleo diet). my energy expenditure is even greater than a guy that goes to the gym because i train mma 5 days a week on top of some lifting, fruit/veg and some red potatoes are the only carbs i really consume.
  10. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.14%

    Not sure where you got the 90% info, but I study exercise bioenergetics and will tell you right now thats wrong. For even a well trained individual, at about 60% of a persons vo2 max they begin burning a higher percent of carbs to fat. At 90% your burning minimal fat, and I gurentee your impairing your mma training by following a high fat low carb diet. Not familiar with the paleo diet, but I bet there is little or no research supporting it's use in athletes.

    I Have a classmate who also swears by his high fat diet, and while the body is extremely adaptable... There is overwhelming evidence of it's negative effects on endurance exercise
  11. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    351
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    48.21%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    your body actually prefers fats as a source of energy for any activity up to 90% intensity. so a person who just goes through daily life and lifts 3 days a week barely depletes their glycogen stores. they still need some post workout carbs to replenish whatever glycogen they used but not much. the point is, a high fat low carb diet is keeps insulin and blood sugar at a good level and maintains the best body composition. im sure ill get responses from "oats and pasta everyday" people but this has been working very well for me and tons of other people (see Paleo diet). my energy expenditure is even greater than a guy that goes to the gym because i train mma 5 days a week on top of some lifting, fruit/veg and some red potatoes are the only carbs i really consume.
    This guy is right^^^

    The body does not take fat and decide to store it as fat.. It is ilogical to think that way..
  12. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1889
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    47.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidusSnake View Post
    This guy is right^^^

    The body does not take fat and decide to store it as fat.. It is ilogical to think that way..

    Lol nobody said that. But fatty acid oxidation is slow and oxygen dependent, and definitely NOT the bodies ideal substrate during exercise. If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd blast this page with research studies.
  13. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    351
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    48.21%

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    Lol nobody said that. But fatty acid oxidation is slow and oxygen dependent, and definitely NOT the bodies ideal substrate during exercise. If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd blast this page with research studies.
    ok lol, thats what your saying.. No I get you
  14. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    hey whatever works for you, im at my strongest leanest and meanest and hardly ever get tired in practice. Fat FTW
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Testosterone Levels
    By SlickG3 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
  2. Low Testosterone Levels
    By bigjohn58 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM
  3. Fat Guys and Testosterone levels - effect of obesity on male hormone levels
    By SilkPhantom in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 04:18 AM
  4. Low testosterone levels
    By Warlex in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 03:38 AM
  5. testosterone levels
    By chessmaster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in