Hiring a coach

  1. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0

    Hiring a coach


    I have seriously been tossing around the idea. I am not sure what to do. I am known for doing great diets and I consider it my strong point. I also have a very unique training style the majority being toward martial arts and only 2-3 real "weightlifting" days the other days are lots of other stuff. So would a diet guy even be able to handle that. So far the only benefit I can see is the fact it will save me lots of work. I was debating hiring them to do a bulking diet for me after 2 months has passed of dieting down. What are really the good sides of a guy who is already very good at nutrition hiring a coach.
    ACSM-CPT


  2. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,174
    Answers
    2

    Talk to someone who you may be able to hire, they are not all created equal. Find out what they think they could do for you. Personally if I don't feel I could help someone I would tell them straight and wouldn't work with them.

    I have worked with a lot of people who thought they knew a lot as well. Choose someone with a proven track record.

  3. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0

    The people at Tronopin seem to be very very qualified, its just on my student income 250 for 12 weeks is a lot of money, but I am able to add 6-8 lbs of muscle naturally in that time I'd be happy as hell. I could probably do it myself, but I'm thinking it might be better to hold it off to someone else.
    ACSM-CPT

    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,155
    Answers
    1

    Paleo for athletes.

    Simple, cheap, effective.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  5. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Paleo for athletes.

    Simple, cheap, effective.
    My diet is very similar to that already. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing though.
    ACSM-CPT

  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,155
    Answers
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    My diet is very similar to that already. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing though.
    Post your diet/supplements.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  7. New Member
    team180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    38
    Answers
    0

    Hiring someone not only saves you money in the long run but also teaches you things that you will know and use for the rest of your life..

  8. Senior Member
    bassgod272's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,382
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by team180 View Post
    Hiring someone not only saves you money in the long run but also teaches you things that you will know and use for the rest of your life..
    Team180 has shown me this first hand. I highly recommend him to anyone and everyone who wants to truly achieve their goals. If the moderator would please respond to my PM, I would be able to post before and afters to SHOW you all my transformation. AMAZING! Team180 FTW!!

  9. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,815
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Paleo for athletes.

    Simple, cheap, effective.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  10. Advanced Member
    Steelwolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    887
    Answers
    0

    I hired shelby starnes and can tell you have learned so much, and found out the majority of things most do is so wrong. Timing with nutrition is everything.

  11. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    I hired shelby starnes and can tell you have learned so much, and found out the majority of things most do is so wrong. Timing with nutrition is everything.
    Thanks to shellby I have a young kid as a patient that is in total hormonal chaos and emotional distress because of his dietary suggestions. He is not the first i have heard of. When dealing professionally I can charge a couple grand for a 12 week program due to credentials and background. Before dealing with a client one needs to doa complete medical background to see if there are more of a liablity or risk. I know about this nutrient timing years before it came popular since I trained with John berrardi for a few years when he was younger before he developed surge. We were way head of our time..So just becareful..

  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,155
    Answers
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Thanks to shellby I have a young kid as a patient that is in total hormonal chaos and emotional distress because of his dietary suggestions. He is not the first i have heard of. When dealing professionally I can charge a couple grand for a 12 week program due to credentials and background. Before dealing with a client one needs to doa complete medical background to see if there are more of a liablity or risk. I know about this nutrient timing years before it came popular since I trained with John berrardi for a few years when he was younger before he developed surge. We were way head of our time..So just becareful..
    Berardi is one of the main influences on my nutrition philosophy. IIRC, he was an adjunct faculty member at the University of Texas when Ivy started to publish his research regarding nutrient timing.

    That being said, I think the most diets that BB'ers are nowhere near optimal in terms of variety of foods and overall nutrition. Not nearly enough emphasis on alkalinity to try to balance out the acidity of meat and grains.

    Here's a great article by Berardi regarding pH balance in eating (yes, it's nearly a decade old, but it is still great information):
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  13. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Berardi is one of the main influences on my nutrition philosophy. IIRC, he was an adjunct faculty member at the University of Texas when Ivy started to publish his research regarding nutrient timing.

    That being said, I think the most diets that BB'ers are nowhere near optimal in terms of variety of foods and overall nutrition. Not nearly enough emphasis on alkalinity to try to balance out the acidity of meat and grains.

    Here's a great article by Berardi regarding pH balance in eating (yes, it's nearly a decade old, but it is still great information):
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm
    Yes I was very lucky to have this exposure this young and probably made me successful at bodybuilding, but due to a freak turn of fate my career was ended and almost my life. Strucken with CFS (medical BS term because dr's do not know) which was actually hidden food poisoning that ended up completely shutting down HPTA, losing over 80 lbs of lean muscle in 9 months started the journey where I am today. I could have probably gone pro with in 2-3 years at the age of 29, but it was not in the cards. Here I am 7 years later and more knowledgeable and expereinced then most drs in certain areas. Right now we are in the process of bringing state of the art nutritional testing I use to help resolve complex medical cases to people that are serious about their health. After the season is over we have a few flyers that are highly interested in this type of testing to help increase there overal health, wellbeing, and also athletic performance. Letters have been sent to all the other sports team. I am just looking for that one break to make it into professional athletes. If giving the chance I could create naturally freaks as I have already did with the guys around here at my local gym. Currently I am working with a patient that is 43 on TRT, 25 stints and working on having him run a half marathon, getting off TRT in the process. This is actually being blogged. I have a Dr in texas that I will be working with in next few weeks where we will be specializing taking nutritional intervention for both people that are not well, people serious about health, and athetes who want to excell..

    point being that some of these fly by night trainers are doing more damage then good when they do not understand just WHO they are dealing with. Hope they one day they will learn to do a proper bio check on the person so that they do not have a hidden prexisting condition..

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anyone hiring in chicago?! I need a job. Hook it up.
    By snyper2k2 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
  2. new ravens head coach
    By dozer7 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:56 PM
  3. Wrestling Coach forgets how to cut. Please Help
    By Bisi06 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
  4. Anybody hiring in Seattle, WA?
    By animalXXX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 04:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in