Cardio questions

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    If you're eating enough to cover that added energy expenditure - as Eric said - then you should be able to make gains just fine. DO bear in mind that running is the most catabolic mode of cardio, and so you DO need to get your NUTRITION right. Otherwise, just do your cardio - not necessarily running - BEFORE your weights, or every other day when you do NOT do resistance training.

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    Some really good info from you, Rosie, in this thread...as always.

Can you elaborate on the "running is the most catabolic mode of cardio" bit? I mean wouldn't swimming 100 laps in the pool be just as catabolic as running a a few miles?

2. Quote Originally Posted by freefall365 View Post
    Some really good info from you, Rosie, in this thread...as always.

Can you elaborate on the "running is the most catabolic mode of cardio" bit? I mean wouldn't swimming 100 laps in the pool be just as catabolic as running a a few miles?
    No, swimming 100 laps in the pool is going to be nowhere as catabolic as running a few miles - if you need an example, look at a marathon runner compared to a swimmer. Running is a very high impact and high intensity/energy form of cardio, and you're more likely to burn muscle running than doing non-weighted or low-impact exercise (especially if you are restricting calories).
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    No, swimming 100 laps in the pool is going to be nowhere as catabolic as running a few miles - if you need an example, look at a marathon runner compared to a swimmer. Running is a very high impact and high intensity/energy form of cardio, and you're more likely to burn muscle running than doing non-weighted or low-impact exercise (especially if you are restricting calories).
    So you are saying even if the heart rate were equal in two people one swimming and the other running for the same amount of time, that running would be more catabolic?

4. Quote Originally Posted by freefall365 View Post
    So you are saying even if the heart rate were equal in two people one swimming and the other running for the same amount of time, that running would be more catabolic?
    Yes. Swimming is NOT a weight bearing exercise. And heart rate rises rapidly with running. We actually discussed running being highly catabolic during my degree for a paper - can't remember references off the top of my head, but the final conclusion was that anything over 30-40 minutes of running caused muscle loss (bearing in mind that most people who run do not eat enough to cover the costs of their energy expenditure, so that could be a huge factor).

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

5. where does the elliptical fall in? between swimming and running ?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by qwerty33 View Post
    where does the elliptical fall in? between swimming and running ?
    Elliptical is non-impact. Even though IMO not all cardio is created equal, you cannot really give a "catabolic scale" to different modes of cardio - whether or not one is going to be catabolic or not is predominantly dependent on their NUTRITION.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. CARDIO QUESTIONS...HOW MUCH SHOULD YOU DO?
    By jdhil90 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-19-2010, 01:47 AM
  2. cardio questions
    By darkvard in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 12:32 PM
  3. Cardio and Weight Training Questions
    By orangerain in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM
  4. fasted cardio questions