Paleo Diet

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Giving this diet a try in the next couple of weeks(after I read this The Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf, Book - Barnes & Noble) and would like to hear everybody's success with it thus far. Plan on doing the basic meat/fruit/nuts/tuber route for 3months as I transition into my cutting cycle. Feel free to post you daily meal plan if you would like. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you cutting out whey/casein shakes as well since they're not Paleo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you going straight whole-foods or are you adding in egg proteins?

I have used a modified Paleo for about 2 years now and it's been great for my immune system (I haven't been sick once during this time).

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I plan on including all wholefood sources including eggs(though these will be limited based on diet variety) at the moment. What kind of modifications did you make to the diet??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I plan on including all wholefood sources including eggs(though these will be limited based on diet variety) at the moment. What kind of modifications did you make to the diet??
Technically, green beans aren't Paleo, but I eat a can a day. I also use the aforementioned whey/casein shakes. I use a hybrid of Paleo principles along with low PRAL carbs. Outside of fruits and potatoes, I also use organic Basmati rice as its PRAL is very low.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting. Do you also include yogurt with it's low acid load and how many servings of fruit are you consuming a day?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting. Do you also include yogurt with it's low acid load and how many servings of fruit are you consuming a day?
I'll throw in some Greek yogurt when I find it on sale, but it's not a staple. I get at least 2-3 servings of fruit per day and 3-4 servings of vegetables. My list is usually this:

Apples
Bananas
Pineapple
Raisins
Green Beans
Broccoli
Tomatoes/Tomato Sauce

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the info Rodja.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
im almost 100% paleo. i use whey but not casein. no beans/legumes for me, but i eat any tubers. Paleo for the win brother, ive never been in better shape/felt as great.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
sorry for the stupid question whats a tuber???

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im almost 100% paleo. i use whey but not casein. no beans/legumes for me, but i eat any tubers. Paleo for the win brother, ive never been in better shape/felt as great.
The science and theory behind it seems to be keen and it's health aspect is really hard to argue against. I think the diet basically encompasses all the healthy aspects of the major diets known on the market.

How long have you been following paleo? If you don't care, post up a daily food log that you randomly follow.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ive been following it for 3-4 months. definitely can say that the results are real. im way leaner, heal faster, stomach is never upset, sunburn heals overnight, seasonal allergies are gone. basically its a diet to decrease overall inflammation in the body.

daily eating is like this:

1) 6-8 eggs (pasture), 4 pieces of bacon, half avocado, steak from night before, all scrambled in half a stick of organic butter. red mashed potatoes if worked out the night before

2) 40 gram whey shake OR can of wild salmon + baby carrots/tomato/fruit

3) huge spinach + brocolli salad with about a pound of baked chicken drumsticks, all soaked in about 6-7 tbs of ex virg. olive oil

4) can of wild salmon, fruit/baby carrots/etc

5) postworkout: 40 grams whey, 3 bananas or equivalent (bananas/berries = 50/50 glucose to fructose ratio)

6) dinner: pound of flank/sirloin/top round steak, red potatoes mashed in butter+garlic, half of avocado, more vegetables if there is any room.

7) tablespoon of Coconut oil before sleep

Supplements:

beta carotene, powder esther C, liquid E, D3, Maca

beta alanine, creatine mono on w/o days

sleep aid: L-tryptophan, GABA

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Excellent feedback Anton, thanks. That seems like a high cal assortment, are you using it for bulk or maintaining?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I'm all for Paleo. I've started following the diet loosely about 2 years ago. Despite not being entirely committed, I noticed results. I dove in and gave up all grains shortly thereafter, and noticed dramatic increases in everything performance. More energy, better workouts, faster recovery, and most importantly to my goals at the time, a leap in performance.

I'm a big fan of Robb Wolf, and attended one of his nutrition certifications some months ago. My favorite part about Robb is his belief in REAL WORLD results. He has taken athletes and completely transformed them with the simplicity of the Paleo diet. Top notch guy, and I follow his diet advice to a T.

There really isn't a reason to go for it! As you can see, I'm excited to see the interest in something that has worked so well for myself and my friends. Definitely go for it.

I do make exceptions however - I am not 100%. I often eat at a chow hall (active duty), and I go with a protein shake post workout coupled with either sweet potato or coconut water for carbohydrate.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Excellent feedback Anton, thanks. That seems like a high cal assortment, are you using it for bulk or maintaining?
maintenance. i have an ecto bodytype so metabolism is super fast. plus I do mma (bjj/muay thai) sometimes up to 5 days a week so I burn an insane amount of calories. for me to gain anymore weight it would take an ungodly amount of food haha

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm all for Paleo. I've started following the diet loosely about 2 years ago. Despite not being entirely committed, I noticed results. I dove in and gave up all grains shortly thereafter, and noticed dramatic increases in everything performance. More energy, better workouts, faster recovery, and most importantly to my goals at the time, a leap in performance.

I'm a big fan of Robb Wolf, and attended one of his nutrition certifications some months ago. My favorite part about Robb is his belief in REAL WORLD results. He has taken athletes and completely transformed them with the simplicity of the Paleo diet. Top notch guy, and I follow his diet advice to a T.

There really isn't a reason to go for it! As you can see, I'm excited to see the interest in something that has worked so well for myself and my friends. Definitely go for it.

I do make exceptions however - I am not 100%. I often eat at a chow hall (active duty), and I go with a protein shake post workout coupled with either sweet potato or coconut water for carbohydrate.
Yeah, the guy seems to have the science to back it up(at least from the brief excerpt I read from the book). I'm looking forward to reading the whole book next week.

Not sure exactly how I want to structure my carbs with the meal plans yet. I'm planning on keeping it mainly fruits and veggies as per the original Paleo diet. I may throw in sweet potatoes and/or yams as a source of pre/post workout carbohydrate sources for performance reasons. Just have to delve into it further and structure it as I see fit.

Gamma

Awards
A doctor recommended Paleo diet to me recently, but said that the key was to NOT eat too much meat.

He was saying to stay with 4 oz a DAY or less. Or eat a lot of meat one day a week and very little on other days.

The rationale for this is the idea, taken from existing hunter/gatherer societies, that our ancestors only went hunting every week or 2, and most of the time didn't eat meat.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A doctor recommended Paleo diet to me recently, but said that the key was to NOT eat too much meat.

He was saying to stay with 4 oz a DAY or less. Or eat a lot of meat one day a week and very little on other days.

The rationale for this is the idea, taken from existing hunter/gatherer societies, that our ancestors only went hunting every week or 2, and most of the time didn't eat meat.
You cannot eat that small amount of meat. There's no way you'd make up for the caloric deficit from lowered carbs.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You cannot eat that small amount of meat. There's no way you'd make up for the caloric deficit from lowered carbs.
True, sounds like the doctor was stressing A LOT MORE fruits and veggies on the diet. Adversely, I say the opposite is true as well. Hunter/Gathers experienced different eating patterns based on seasons. Winter/Fall weather, diets where predominately protein/fat while Spring/Summer it probably balanced out to a more Omnivorous eating style. The concept of the diet is to "mimic" the way our ancestors ate by or food choice, not necessarily the food pattern or how they ate it. If that where the case then we would be self inducing starvation during periods of the year which is the exact opposite of basis of the diet.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nuts and other fats.
Thanks for commenting.

Did he offer any other rationale other then mimetic of their eating patterns? Paleo also has guidelines for specific macro ratio's in general...which is why I'm asking.

Gamma

Awards
Did he offer any other rationale other then mimetic of their eating patterns? Paleo also has guidelines for specific macro ratio's in general...which is why I'm asking.
I think the rationale has something to do with the fact that protein is not stored by the body if it's not needed, and only about 4 oz a day are needed.

So the rest of the protein has to be broken down for energy or for storage as fat, and that liberates the nitrogen which comes off as uric acid, which can cause gout and isn't generally good for you.

There were other reasons too, metabolic ones, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the rationale has something to do with the fact that protein is not stored by the body if it's not needed, and only about 4 oz a day are needed.

So the rest of the protein has to be broken down for energy or for storage as fat, and that liberates the nitrogen which comes off as uric acid, which can cause gout and isn't generally good for you.

There were other reasons too, metabolic ones, but I can't recall them at the moment.
Out of curiosity, how old is he? That pattern of thinking is very outdated and all research has shown that high protein diets are safe and may only cause issues in those with pre-existing kidney issues.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established

yes in a sedetary individual there is only a very small difference in protein thats broken down versus how much is re-synthesized. therefore the daily requirement for someone who doesnt exercise is very low. however for the active individual, protein breaks down at a much higher rate and to avoid a negative nitrogen balance (catabolism) we consume essential amino acids (protein). i mean this is a modified version of the paleo diet, for athletes. you can find more information on this at nutrition & metabolism journal, few good articles on there.

nuts dont contain any omega 3 and all omega 6. for optimal health we require a 1:1 ratio of om3 to om6. in paleo diets nuts are usually consumed in moderation. grassfed beef contains 1:1, fish is usually loaded with om3.

the doctor is on the right track, eliminating grains/sugars/dairy. for someone who doesnt exercise, 4 oz of meat is probably ok..with some fruit and a good amount of fat he can probably get to 2000 calories, which is enough for a non active person.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree that the body maintains a certain level of protein for inclusion into the Amino Acid pool. In general, IIRC the average recommendation for protein replenishment for AA pool turnover is around 60-70gr/day for the average person. Not much, but it would be hard to reach that level with just 4oz of meat a day(say roughly 20-25gr). You would have to make sure that your other food selections where fairly well nourished with protein sources as well.

As has been said, the active person with higher levels of stress and exercise would need a little more protein to offset catabolic and chemical reactions triggered by physical activity. Nice to hear your doc speaking about the diet in a logical sense though.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
check out www.marksdailyapple.com, guy wrote a book about this and has a very active website. all kinds of stuff like recipes, vibrams, sprint workouts, enough paleo-friendly biochemistry to fill up a few books.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Excellent!! Saved to favorites to read later....

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
Funny, but serious question. Is that why cavemen had ugly teeth, from lack of calcium? where does the calcium come from in this diet??

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Funny, but serious question. Is that why cavemen had ugly teeth, from lack of calcium? where does the calcium come from in this diet??
Broccoli, can salmon, leafy vegtables(kale has more calcium per oz then milk), Almonds(and a large assortment of other nuts) all have abundant amounts of calcium. No lack of it on the diet.....

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
No one knows what caveman teeth looked like. Those are just arts and drawings and stereotypical pictures. If they did have rotten teeth though, I'm sure it was due to lack of a toothbrush.

Eggs, green beans, and broccoli all have sufficient amounts of calcium in them though.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
this has peaked my interest, i did some reading on the paleo diet today and looks pretty simple to implement. i think i'm gonna give this a shot also.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this has peaked my interest, i did some reading on the paleo diet today and looks pretty simple to implement. i think i'm gonna give this a shot also.
Looking forward to hearing/seeing your progress on it bigsexy.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
those teeth were also used to chew a variety of rough wild berries/twigs, gnaw on bones. they didnt have a way to brush, besides eating vegetables that help keep your teeth clean. finally, teeth are somewhat vulnerable by design, enamel deteriorates over time leaving the tooth to rot.

also, paleo diet is a little difficult in the first week. because of the rapid carb depletion you will feel what people call "low carb flu". body is just switching to oxidize more fats for energy. plus without grains there is no big fluctuation in blood sugar. make sure to cut grains entirely, it will ease the process.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
those teeth were also used to chew a variety of rough wild berries/twigs, gnaw on bones. they didnt have a way to brush, besides eating vegetables that help keep your teeth clean. finally, teeth are somewhat vulnerable by design, enamel deteriorates over time leaving the tooth to rot.

also, paleo diet is a little difficult in the first week. because of the rapid carb depletion you will feel what people call "low carb flu". body is just switching to oxidize more fats for energy. plus without grains there is no big fluctuation in blood sugar. make sure to cut grains entirely, it will ease the process.
The first 10 days or so are awful. I always feel lethargic and drag big time.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
i plan on cutting out all grains at once but wouldn't the carbs from the fruit(albeit not as many carbs) help the carb depletion? the menu plan i have laid out has fruit for 3 out the 6 meals and veggies in the last 3.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i plan on cutting out all grains at once but wouldn't the carbs from the fruit(albeit not as many carbs) help the carb depletion? the menu plan i have laid out has fruit for 3 out the 6 meals and veggies in the last 3.
Somewhat, but there's still a precipitous drop in carb consumption.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
i will be sitting at around 125g of carbs for the day. Too many or too little? I cannot find anything really definitive.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established

that is good to know. i am stocking up on food for my cut, and i have no problem cutting grains meat is always my favorite part of a meal, and i love fruits and veggies but i love cheese lol.. that will be a weak spot for me. lol

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i will be sitting at around 125g of carbs for the day. Too many or too little? I cannot find anything really definitive.
no thats good. the guy ive been reading (www.marksdailyapple.com) has a graph where he shows 150-180 as lean tissue maintenance. as long as they are not grains or processed sugars, carbs are alright.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
that is good to know. i am stocking up on food for my cut, and i have no problem cutting grains meat is always my favorite part of a meal, and i love fruits and veggies but i love cheese lol.. that will be a weak spot for me. lol
yea cheese is not paleo, its actually the most acidic thing you can eat. its probably the food i miss the most. i used to devour muenster cheese. it was probably because i was always blazed too..hm so herb is not paleo?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea cheese is not paleo, its actually the most acidic thing you can eat. its probably the food i miss the most. i used to devour muenster cheese. it was probably because i was always blazed too..hm so herb is not paleo?
I think it is, actually.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
hahaha true, i just always tend to want non paleo food if i burn

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no thats good. the guy ive been reading (www.marksdailyapple.com) has a graph where he shows 150-180 as lean tissue maintenance. as long as they are not grains or processed sugars, carbs are alright.
Seems he preaches a slight modification of paleo. The whole butter and bacon allowance throws me off from the other things I've read from Wolf and Cordain.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow really surprised to see a paleo interest here. I first learned about it though a strength coach and then when I looked it up I found alot of references to it on crossfit sites. I bought the cordain book on paleo diet but yet to read it. Glad to hear about it again, I need to go dust that book off and give it a look though. Last time I was at barnes and noble I was looking though some raw foods and vegan cookbooks. I dont really subscribe to any of them but think to add some of their beliefs throughout your diet wouldnt be a bad idea. Not everymeal has to be cooked and not every meal contain animal products right..

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i think the rule of thumb for vegetables for example is that they must be able to be eaten raw, but it doesnt have to be raw. so things like legumes (beans,etc) should be avoided.

thats my understanding anyway.. but ive got a couple of questions so ill bump it. im strapped for cash or id be buying some books...

- do you freeze fruit? I bought a lot and dont think ill eat it in a couple of days lol
- what oils do you use? ive seen mixed reviews on peanut oils, but see that coconut and palm are used? am i correct there??

theres a local produce grocery in my town and they sell locally grown and raised meats and produce and i was wondering if ground beef is ok, i mean like 93/7 lean beef for example

and tubers are to be avoided unless its consumed around a workout right??

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
well see ive decided to go no herb for the time im on paleo, and saving it for when im on keto cuz i know myself, if i get the munchies and wanna eat some cheese im GONNA lol

so yeah i feel your pain.

muenster, pepper jack... provolone... MMMMMMM

FAWK! today is my first day of paleo lets not talk about cheese anymore :D

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i think the rule of thumb for vegetables for example is that they must be able to be eaten raw, but it doesnt have to be raw. so things like legumes (beans,etc) should be avoided.

thats my understanding anyway.. but ive got a couple of questions so ill bump it. im strapped for cash or id be buying some books...

- do you freeze fruit? I bought a lot and dont think ill eat it in a couple of days lol
- what oils do you use? ive seen mixed reviews on peanut oils, but see that coconut and palm are used? am i correct there??

theres a local produce grocery in my town and they sell locally grown and raised meats and produce and i was wondering if ground beef is ok, i mean like 93/7 lean beef for example

and tubers are to be avoided unless its consumed around a workout right??

dont worry about freezing fruit, it will keep for a while in the fridge even if it starts looking a lil beat up. as long as its not moldy or weird color you are good.

i use primarily coconut oil to eat and butter to cook with. anything with a good saturated fat profile is basically what you want. only vegetable oil allowed is olive oil, its polyunsaturated but has a ton of good qualities.

ground beef is different anywhere you go. conventional ground beef isnt very applealing, mostly whole animal carcasses ground up. who knows whats in there and who knows how safe is the meat. if you go to Whole Foods, they have grass fed ground beef for like 6$ which is different, they take their grass fed chuck and other trimmings and ground that all up. big difference there.

tubers are okay at different times of the day, unles you are low carbing. there isnt many issues with them and theyll help to keep your glycogen full.