Paleo Diet

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You can easily find an ebook of both.
    Yeah with my iphone kindle app the e-books are pretty damn convenient.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    Yeah with my iphone kindle app the e-books are pretty damn convenient.
    That sounded like a commercial. I have no affiliation with Apple, i just like their products.
  3. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Also if you are ebook hunting, although I think many of the conclusions he draws are straight BS, Gary Taubs has 2 books that deal in high fat low carb eating and particularly fat loss.

edit, and using a real ebook reader like a nook or kindle beat the hell out of an iphone
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

edit, and using a real ebook reader like a nook or kindle beat the hell out of an iphone
    Maybee so but it's all i got and when i need it, it's always in my pocket..
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.35%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Also if you are ebook hunting, although I think many of the conclusions he draws are straight BS, Gary Taubs has 2 books that deal in high fat low carb eating and particularly fat loss.

I take it you didn't like the book?

I know of Taubes but havent read his work yet. I was under the impression his books were more of a breakdown in laymans terms of a low carb diet. You will probably enjoy Protein Power much more, it is a way more scientific than anything else I have read so far
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I take it you didn't like the book?

I know of Taubes but havent read his work yet. I was under the impression his books were more of a breakdown in laymans terms of a low carb diet. You will probably enjoy Protein Power much more, it is a way more scientific than anything else I have read so far
    No, it still had valuable information, but some of his conclusions and reasoning is just plain silly. As the worst example, he spends a bit of time beating up on the medical establishment over calling heart disease an "epidemic". Its the cause of death of half the non-accidental deaths, I think that pretty well qualifies as an epidemic. He also beats into doctors for their attempts at a lower fat diet to help curb heart disease and how long that has gone on for without a significant change in heart disease rates without apparently realizing that for something like that which affects you at later ages you have to look at people who grew up with the different diet to see its effectiveness. You can't put someone on a changed diet for 2 years and expect to be able to reverse 30 years of arterial plaquing.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.35%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

No, it still had valuable information, but some of his conclusions and reasoning is just plain silly. As the worst example, he spends a bit of time beating up on the medical establishment over calling heart disease an "epidemic". Its the cause of death of half the non-accidental deaths, I think that pretty well qualifies as an epidemic.
    Agree it has a epidemic especially in this country IMO

He also beats into doctors for their attempts at a lower fat diet to help curb heart disease and how long that has gone on for without a significant change in heart disease rates without apparently realizing that for something like that which affects you at later ages you have to look at people who grew up with the different diet to see its effectiveness. You can't put someone on a changed diet for 2 years and expect to be able to reverse 30 years of arterial plaquing.
    What I think is insane is how doctors refuse to even consider dietary changes for things like high cholesterol or diabetes and they automatically prescribe meds and then suggest a low fat, low protein, high carb diet is what they need to do.

If someone is insulin resistant how does it make sense to make the bulk of their diet carbs? Especially considering carbs arent essential?

The USDA recomends 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein. If excess insulin throughout the day leads to a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, gout, sleep apena, and so much more how does this diet make any sense?

My mom went to the doctors and he told her she had fluid retention, high blood pressure, excess cholesterol and triglycerides and then came the plethora of medications. Another problem was she wasn't having enough bowl movements and food was sitting in her stomach and having acid reflux, so he tells her to eat more whole grain.. Why isn't a low carb diet suggested? Or probiotics to help restore bacteria?

I explained to my mom insulin tells the kidneys to hold sat, which results in fluid retention, and excess insulin throughout the day causes an increase in the thickness and constriction of artery walls, combined with the fluid retention = high blood pressure. Excess insulin also stimulates extra production of cholesterol and trigs by the liver. I put her on a paleo type diet and 3 months later she is med free.

Diet is definitely a option and is rarely even considered by medical professionals. Their first step is medications and is very understandable when you consider how much money big pharma makes and the amount of marketing they do and persuasion to doctors. Im not suggesting a conspiracy or anything to that extent but there is a relationship between the two.
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

No, the doctors go to medication because people dont' follow dietary changes you give them, and the medications work. If they ate halfway decently to begin with they wouldnt be 40lbs over weight.

And show where there is clinical evidence that "excess insulin throughout the day leads to a greater risk of heart disease", i'd like to see that.
    This space for rent

9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.35%

No, the doctors go to medication because people dont' follow dietary changes you give them, and the medications work. If they ate halfway decently to begin with they wouldnt be 40lbs over weight.

And show where there is clinical evidence that "excess insulin throughout the day leads to a greater risk of heart disease", i'd like to see that.
    Excess insulin leads to insulin resistance.

Here is one I have on hand im sure I can find more if you want, BTW ever finish reading through the other studies I posted comparing low carb diet to others in regards to weight loss?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17259501

nsulin resistance as estimated by homeostasis model assessment predicts incident symptomatic cardiovascular disease in caucasian subjects from the general population: the Bruneck study.

Bonora E, Kiechl S, Willeit J, Oberhollenzer F, Egger G, Meigs JB, Bonadonna RC, Muggeo M.

Endocrinologia e Malattie del Metabolismo, Ospedale Maggiore, Piazzale Stefani 1, 37126 Verona, Italy. enzobonora@virgilio.it
    Abstract

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether insulin resistance is associated to cardiovascular disease (CVD) and to understand whether this association can be explained by traditional and novel CVD risk factors associated with this metabolic disorder.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: We examined a sample representative of the population of Bruneck, Italy (n = 919; aged 40-79 years). Insulin-resistant subjects were those with a score in the top quartile of the homeostasis model assessment (HOMA) for insulin resistance (HOMA-IR). Risk factors correlated with insulin resistance included BMI, A1C, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), fibrinogen, oxidized LDL, vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1), and adiponectin. Subjects without CVD at baseline were followed up for 15 years for incident CVD, a composite end point including fatal and nonfatal myocardial infarction and stroke, transient ischemic attack, and any revascularization procedure.

RESULTS: During follow-up, 118 subjects experienced a first symptomatic CVD event. Levels of HOMA-IR were higher at baseline among subjects who developed CVD (2.8) compared with those remaining free of CVD (2.5) (P < 0.05). Levels of HOMA-IR also were significantly correlated (P < 0.05) with most CVD risk factors we evaluated. In Cox proportional hazard models, insulin-resistant subjects had an age-, sex-, and smoking-adjusted 2.1-fold increased risk (95% CI 1.3-3.1) of incident symptomatic CVD relative to non-insulin-resistant subjects. After sequential adjustment for physical activity and classic risk factors (A1C, LDL cholesterol, and hypertension) as well as BMI, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and novel risk factors, including fibrinogen, oxidized LDL, hsCRP, VCAM-1, and adiponectin, the association between HOMA-IR and incident CVD remained significant and virtually unchanged (hazard ratio 2.2 [95% CI 1.4-3.6], P < 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS: HOMA-estimated insulin resistance is associated with subsequent symptomatic CVD in the general population independently of all classic and several nontraditional risk factors. These data suggest that insulin resistance may be an important target to reduce CVD risk.
    Now I have said several times, I dont like to place too much weight on studies as concrete evidence of anything, as you know there are no facts in science and nothing can really be proven only theorized until someone challenges it. But I think the excerpt below to be pretty much true and not really ground breaking that it would need "clinical trials" to establish, although I am sure there are some.

As we age, we lose our ability to utilize insulin to effectively drive blood glucose into energy-producing cells. As glucose levels rise in the blood, the pancreas compensates by producing more insulin. As “insulin resistance” worsens, even more insulin is secreted in attempt to restore glucose control. Excess insulin is associated with a significantly greater risk of heart disease
    And for the excuse of the doctors not suggesting a low carb diet because people wont follow is insane because they do suggest a diet. My moms doctor told her she needs to eat 60% carbs, that is a dietary suggestion that many doctors suggest to patients.

As to if "they ate halfway decent they wouldn't be overweight".. lets looks at the USDA recommendations

60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein

So 2k calorie diet would be:

300g carbs, 55g fat, 75g protein How would this diet not lead to insulin resistance? So 3 meals a day it would be 100g carb, 18g fat/ 25g protein.. how is this healthy at all? Even at maintenance calories I would bet the person eating this would be classified as one of those " "skinny fat guys"

Similar Forum Threads

1. BCAA's on Paleo Diet
    By youngandfree in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
  2. Paleo Diet / 5x5 / 12lbs 6 months
    By depwned in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 02:08 AM
  3. the paleo diet
    By bulltest01 in forum Nutrition / Health