Diabetes and weightlifting

austinfrench5

Awards
hey guys. i am a type one diabetic and was wondering if any other diabetics have any tips about how you can us it to your advantage or how it is a disadvantage. any tips are appreciated

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
hey guys. i am a type one diabetic and was wondering if any other diabetics have any tips about how you can us it to your advantage or how it is a disadvantage. any tips are appreciated
I had a Type I Diabetic client for several years not so long ago. First, you must ensure that your diabetes is STABLE and under control. If that is so, then there really is not anything too different that you have to do, just a few things to be aware of:
* Make sure that you manipulate your training around your insulin doses
* Always make sure that your pre and post-training nutrition is right (i.e. stabilize blood sugars, etc., and don't let them fall too low)
* Training in the afternoon or evening will give you more control over your blood sugar levels
* Make sure that you always have a source of sugar (i.e. jelly babies or something) nearby when training, in case your blood sugar drops

~Team APPNUT

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As a type 1 you really don't have any disadvantage as far as your ultimate potential in the gym because you simply take as much insulin as is needed (as opposed to type 2's who are trying to manage with a compromised system).

The added complexity of having to manage diet and blood glucose levels could be considered a disadvantage. Coincidentally, a conscientious diabetic and someone who is serious about his/her results in the gym will both follow a meal plan complete with measured portions and macronutrient breakdown.

You will hear people who have different types of meals throughout the day. All of my meals have roughly the same calories, and the same proportions of P, C, and F - makes insulin dosing more predictable.