To Eat before going to Bed or Not to Eat?

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are the benefits/disadvantages of eating before going to bed? And what are the benefits/disadvantages of not eating before going to bed?

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Eating before bed means more anabolism.. And not being hungry so quickly..
Not eating before bed equals greater GH release..

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
I think its GREAT to eat a snack before bed BUT AVOID sugars!no pops ceaials bread ect. a handfull of nuts or a protein drink mixed with water id nice. ima go have some nutz right now before i go to bed.
(no gay jokes plz i have a gf )lol

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
Uhhhh, GH has not been proven to build lean mass, but it has been proven to help you lose fat.. So it depends on you..
u be nutz! lol :stooges:
it willputmucle growth AND new muscle cells.
ILOVE igf-1lr3 for thisd (HGH breaks down into this, igf-1 that is)

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
u be nutz! lol :stooges:
it willputmucle growth AND new muscle cells.
ILOVE igf-1lr3 for thisd (HGH breaks down into this, igf-1 that is)
No, GH has NOT been proven to effect muscle mass... And only supra-physiological levels of GH will increase lean mass, and when I mention lean mass now, im talking about everything but muscle tissue!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Casein shake pre-bed for slow-release into the body. If you don't have casein, cottage cheese or natural peanut butter. No carbs at all.

Do this especially if you're bulking. And if you're on a cut and worried about it, just space it out a little bit earlier than hitting the sheets - i.e. 2 hours before bed or something like that. Do this, monitor your progress and tweak the timing to see how it goes. Take in one amount of food (the exact same thing) for a week at a specific time, track your progress at the end of that week. Then change the time or the amount of food (not both) and do the same thing for a week. Keep doing this til you find something you like. Make sure it's the only change you're making so you can pinpoint it to this and not another variable.

That's a pretty demanding statement, but it'll allow you to know for sure how/if it's working.

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what are some of the best foods to eat prior to bed?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aviad

Aviad

Board Sponsor
Awards

I will offer my personal thoughts on eating before bed if I may:

I am a supporter of at least an hour window of no nutrient intake before bed. Of course people bring up the point of preventing catabolism and so on, I am not certain how many are in the position where a normal nights rest without dumping heavy proteins down will compromise lean mass gains.
These are a few of my observations and experience with late night eating:
  • Eating late night decreases my appetite in the morning, setting up a scenario whereas meals come later in the day ultimately repeating the scenario
  • As most are aware, insulin spikes at night blunt gh release. Since about 75%(approx) of gh is released during sleep, avoiding this is always advisable
  • Around the 5th(rough estimate based on normal sleep cycle) hour of sleep, fat burning begins and pre bed food consumption may cause an interruption of this natural process in my opinion
  • Even a meal devoid of insulin raising factors, can affect digestion which can indirectly affect wakefulness, energy and appetite throughout the day
  • The desire to eat late at night may be an indication of a more serious problem such as hormone imbalance, low hormone levels, imbalances with serotonin and melatonin, anxiety or stress, excess cortisol or low leptin, or any combination of the aforementioned
  • Late night eating uses energy for digestion as opposed to metabolic recuperation, and in my opinion this isn't necessarily ideal
  • It is my understanding leptin is secreted during sleep; if leptin is low it may be a symptom of a more serious problem. Eating properly in the morning will aid in normal leptin secretion. Late night eaters may experience a reversal of normal secretion, whereas proper diet and possible hormone adjustments are necessary to rectify the issue.
In general and in my opinion, craving late night eating is simply a signal from the body to correct hormonal and nutritional gaps that have occurred as a result of insufficient nutrient intake

I truly believe that if you are in a bulking phase or a true hard gainer, by all means consume a quality protein source before bed to prevent the dreaded catabolism. However for most of us either cutting, concerned about general health and well being, I believe food should be kept away from sleep times. As we know, certain amino acids such as heavy amounts of leucine can cause insulinogenic responses.

Also, I am not certain that most are in a position to judge their particular nitrogen balance and specific ratios of lean tissue loss when not consuming protein prior to sleep.

I am sure many will respond stating many studies, first hand accounts and so on; I am simply saying this may be vastly based on the specific individual and there genetic propensities in regards to lean body mass retention/lean body mass gains.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Eat. Casein shake and natty pb before bed for me. Wake up isolate+bcaa's and coco oil. Hour later solid food.

UKStrength

I will offer my personal thoughts on eating before bed if I may:

I am a supporter of at least an hour window of no nutrient intake before bed. Of course people bring up the point of preventing catabolism and so on, I am not certain how many are in the position where a normal nights rest without dumping heavy proteins down will compromise lean mass gains.
These are a few of my observations and experience with late night eating:
  • Eating late night decreases my appetite in the morning, setting up a scenario whereas meals come later in the day ultimately repeating the scenario
  • As most are aware, insulin spikes at night blunt gh release. Since about 75%(approx) of gh is released during sleep, avoiding this is always advisable
  • Around the 5th(rough estimate based on normal sleep cycle) hour of sleep, fat burning begins and pre bed food consumption may cause an interruption of this natural process in my opinion
  • Even a meal devoid of insulin raising factors, can affect digestion which can indirectly affect wakefulness, energy and appetite throughout the day
  • The desire to eat late at night may be an indication of a more serious problem such as hormone imbalance, low hormone levels, imbalances with serotonin and melatonin, anxiety or stress, excess cortisol or low leptin, or any combination of the aforementioned
  • Late night eating uses energy for digestion as opposed to metabolic recuperation, and in my opinion this isn't necessarily ideal
  • It is my understanding leptin is secreted during sleep; if leptin is low it may be a symptom of a more serious problem. Eating properly in the morning will aid in normal leptin secretion. Late night eaters may experience a reversal of normal secretion, whereas proper diet and possible hormone adjustments are necessary to rectify the issue.
In general and in my opinion, craving late night eating is simply a signal from the body to correct hormonal and nutritional gaps that have occurred as a result of insufficient nutrient intake

I truly believe that if you are in a bulking phase or a true hard gainer, by all means consume a quality protein source before bed to prevent the dreaded catabolism. However for most of us either cutting, concerned about general health and well being, I believe food should be kept away from sleep times. As we know, certain amino acids such as heavy amounts of leucine can cause insulinogenic responses.

Also, I am not certain that most are in a position to judge their particular nitrogen balance and specific ratios of lean tissue loss when not consuming protein prior to sleep.

I am sure many will respond stating many studies, first hand accounts and so on; I am simply saying this may be vastly based on the specific individual and there genetic propensities in regards to lean body mass retention/lean body mass gains.

A lot of the things in there I personally attest to as well, I normally make my last meal a couple of hours before bed and perhaps have a serving of MAP before bed or some IBCAA in sugar-free cordial.

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
A lot of the things in there I personally attest to as well, I normally make my last meal a couple of hours before bed and perhaps have a serving of MAP before bed or some IBCAA in sugar-free cordial.
Nice little stack for prebed, just a enough aminos to give your body something to use over night but not cause any huge boost in insulin.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
I normally eat right before bed...then again i normally take 2 hours to actually fall asleep

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
So that tub of Ben and Jerry's pre-slumber is a NO?