Is it bad?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Is it bad?

I'm not usually hungry upon rising so I usually don't eat till my first break 3-4 hours later. Should I force myself to eat something or drink a shake?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

yes your body went with out food for the last 8 hours you need to drink a shake min.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

By: Shannon Clark

I'm sure you've heard your grandma or mother calling you more than once to come and eat some oatmeal while you lazily wish you could just stay in your bed.

At the time, you may have stuck your nose up at it, telling her you're not hungry and that you don't eat breakfast. You probably also didn't know what a huge mistake you were making.

While you may not be hungry first thing in the morning, forcing yourself to eat or drink something is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your body at this point in the day.

RELATED ARTICLE
    A Better Bowl At Breakfast!
    One of the best quick breakfasts you can prepare is a bowl of oatmeal, especially if you are active and health conscious. Learn how to make it taste better!
    [ Click here to learn more. ]

You have just been sleeping for a good 6-8 hours straight (hopefully!) and in that time your body has not received any nourishment, unless of course you have a strange habit of sleepwalking to the fridge.

That is a long time for the body to go without food and you need to get something into you as soon as possible once you wake up to jump start your metabolism once again and get your body's process's moving.

Benefits Of Eating A Well-Balanced Breakfast

So, what are the benefits of eating a well-balanced breakfast?

Well, you'll have more energy throughout the morning since your body will have fuel. You wouldn't take your car out to work in the morning with an empty gas tank would you? Well you shouldn't expect your body to perform in the morning either unless you give it some energy to use.

You will have better focus and concentration levels at work or school. The brain runs primarily off of carbohydrates, so if you are running low on these stores, you will likely feel dizzy and fuzzy headed, two things that are not good for those trying to perform heavy mental tasks.

You will be less irritable. This benefit is pretty self-explanatory. I don't have to remind you how you get when you are starving and there's no food available. I'm willing to bet it's not a pretty sight.

RELATED POLL
    Do You Routinely Eat A Well-Balanced Breakfast?

Yes.
    No.

By not putting yourself in that situation and either eating a good meal before you begin your day or packing something healthy to take with you, you won't have to worry that you'll kill one of your co-workers during the mid-morning coffee break - and don't even get me started on what caffeine and an empty stomach will do to you!

You will consume fewer calories at lunch. This is an important one for those who are currently trying to lose some bodyfat.

When you allow yourself to get really ravenous, you are more likely to just reach for whatever is available to satisfy your hunger, whether it is the McDonald's across the street or the bag of chips screaming at you from the vending machine outside of your office.

Not only are you likely to make unwise choices due to hunger, but you are also likely to try and cram as much food into your mouth in as short of time as possible in order to quickly satisfy the loudening growl you are beginning to hear.

This means more total calories in your day, and thus slower progress at weight loss (and possibly even weight gain if you really over due it!).

You will speed your metabolism up thus helping you to burn more calories over the entire course of the day.

When the body goes for a long period of time without eating, your metabolism tends to take this as a sign that it may be a while before it gets foods again and slows down to try and conserve what fuel it does have already stored. This means that you begin burning fewer calories in all your everyday activities.

RELATED ARTICLE
    Breakfast With Danielle.
    Studies have shown that diets that include a large breakfast result in a significantly greater fat loss than diets that avoid it!
    [ Click here to learn more. ]

On the other hand, when you are eating every few hours, your body sees no need to slow down its processes as it knows food will likely be coming soon and will keep your metabolic engine humming along quit nicely.

So, again, going for 8 hours without food is a long enough time to risk slowing down your metabolism, adding another 4 or 5 hours to that after you've woken up is not the best course of action.

Finally, breakfast foods taste great! Okay, so you may not be the eggs and oatmeal type of person, but there are a wide variety of breakfast and non-breakfast foods that are available to you, I'm sure you can find something that will get your appetite going.

What If You're Not Hungry In The Morning?

So hopefully now you're convinced that breakfast is something you need to include in your day. But what do you do about the fact that you are simply not hungry at that time? Many adults complain about this problem and it is usually simply just a matter of training.

Your body tends to like routines and it gets used to going without food in the morning quite quickly and simply stops creating the desire for food. All it usually takes is a good week or two of eating a small breakfast to get your body wanting food first thing in the morning again and your problem will be solved.

If you are one of those people though who simply just cannot stomach food first thing, then a liquid option, such as a smoothie might be perfect for you.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

The answer has to do with your body. Your body stores up glucose or sugar in your blood. This sugar ends up in your liver and then your liver releases it as energy in bursts throughout the day in the form of glycogen. If you skip breakfast your body will run out of glycogen by the middle of the morning which means no more energy bursts. When this happens your body is like a car that runs out of gas.

So if you skip breakfast, chances are you'll feel tired and lacking energy by mid morning. You'll have a hard time concentrating and your thinking will be clouded. You'll probably be nervous and irritable as well.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

iBooks drink a shake. Was thinking opt. Nutritions oats shake
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

First thing on my mind every morning is breakfast. If you are not hungry, try the suggestion listed int he article above. Work with small meals and gradually work your way to a larger meal.
  7. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by freezito View Post
    I'm not usually hungry upon rising so I usually don't eat till my first break 3-4 hours later. Should I force myself to eat something or drink a shake?
    If you're not hungry on waking, then perhaps have some BCAAs, since your body IS catabolic after sleeping - depending on how long you sleep, if it is the regular 8 hours or so and you haven't eaten in >8 hours. I personally don't see a problem with not eating until 3-4 hours after waking, since I do this myself - I train first thing in the morning, and my first meal is 3-4 hours after waking, but everyone is different; work WITH your body.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

i am not trying to start something with you rosie. 3 to 4 hours is too long from a muscle building point. for fitness maybe fine. if your going to have alot of muscle mass you need to feed it and feed it all the time
  9. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wedlund6 View Post
    i am not trying to start something with you rosie. 3 to 4 hours is too long from a muscle building point. for fitness maybe fine. if your going to have alot of muscle mass you need to feed it and feed it all the time
    His goals did not come into the question originally posed, so I answered it accordingly. Just for the record, and yes, I know I'm not as big as the guys here, but I never have issues building muscle mass or keeping it eating 3-4 hours post-waking. It really depends on the individual.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

I'm not a big morning eater, but from a muscle building/feeding stand point I always drink a shake in the morning. I wake up, take my "empty stomach" supps, and a half hour later drink a shake.

It might be helpful, it might be pointless, but it certainly ain't harmful. So why not.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.

I cant eat nearly as much food throughout the entire day if I don't eat breakfast. I dont know about anyone else here, but when I wake up my stomach is growling and I'm in the kitchen half asleep trying to come up with SOMETHING to eat. Protein, carbs, whatever, just do it for the anabolic aspect.

Also do you drink a shake/ eat something before bed? When I do, I wake up so damned hungry lol
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

ya on weekends when i can get like 9 or 10 hours of sleep i wake up after 6 and eat something then go back to bed
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by freezito View Post
    if your not hungry then train when you wake and take a nutrient repartitioner pre training, add in some BCAAs and then eat after your workout.
  •