How important is post workout protein?

drvinnybombat

Awards
If I eat steak and vegetables an hour before my workout, and just a bowl of oatmeal or cereal after, is muscle growth going to suffer? Do I need to stuff my face with protein post workout to build muscle?

It's really more of a point of convenience more than anything for me.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I eat steak and vegetables an hour before my workout, and just a bowl of oatmeal or cereal after, is muscle growth going to suffer? Do I need to stuff my face with protein post workout to build muscle?

It's really more of a point of convenience more than anything for me.
No, you are fine, beef has slower digesting, meaning your muscle will get that beef protein before, during and after your workout.

ScienceGuided

Awards
  • Established
I used to overthink things as well and my best gains have come when I simplify things.Your diet is more then fine!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Not saying quick digesting protein would hurt post workout, but you are alright.

holmes85

Awards
I generally take whey protein powder immediately after workout, but I have also gone 2-3 weeks with no protein powder what so ever in my diet. I see no discernable difference. Its not like your muscles grow 10x faster with protein powder. In my opinion, I think it is more important that you have sufficient protein in your diet daily as opposed to the exact timing. How do you think people got huge before the advent of protein powder lol?

holmes85

Awards
Sorry, I guess the OP wasnt talking about protein from a supplement.. In either case, you know what I mean. I hope.