nutritions tips that many/most people don't know

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
List some. Ill start off. Coconut oil contains MCT's, that will give you the same energy of preworkout carbs, and will also be less fattening, helping one lean out over time.

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
Adding barley to your Oat meal will reduce the spike in blood sugar by like 30% in the afternoon and like 12% for dinner.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Adding barley to your Oat meal will reduce the spike in blood sugar by like 30% in the afternoon and like 12% for dinner.
Good one and awsome avy! How much barley?

By the way, Ill rep anyone whos tip seems to have credibility.

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
1/3 of Barley, 1/3 of oats . . . you can also have a 5 grain Oatmeal with Barley, Rye, Oats, and a couple of other grains but its alittle pricey.

Also adding Cinnamon to the oatmeal lowers blood sugar so you dont have a big spike in insulin. cinnamon has chromium and thats why type II diabetes people use.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
List some. Ill start off. Coconut oil contains MCT's, that will give you the same energy of preworkout carbs, and will also be less fattening, helping one lean out over time.
to add to this they increase cholesterol conversion in the testies,

provide a faster conversion to ketone bodies during exercise

anyone with fat mal absorbtion or gall bladder problems can eat it due to the MCT oil being absorbed the same way a carbohydrate is absorbed.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Buckwheat is a COMPLETE protein grain with 10g protein and 30 carbs per serving with a small amount of fat.

Quinoa complete protein grain with around 7 g protein and 28ish carbs per serving.

Amaranth is the same quinoa in repects to nutrient content and complete protein, except an awesome "hot" cereal with splenda.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
to add to this they increase cholesterol conversion in the testies,

provide a faster conversion to ketone bodies during exercise

anyone with fat mal absorbtion or gall bladder problems can eat it due to the MCT oil being absorbed the same way a carbohydrate is absorbed.
So what's the best way to utilize MCTs? Preworkout?

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Two things....

Eat artichokes while on a PH cycle. There are SEVERAL studies done on this but I've heard this from a friend whose been lifting and juicing for some time, and hes way more knowledgeable then I.

Why? Some benefits from artichokes.....

Artichokes are a healthy vegetable that help to speeds up the digestive processes by stimulating the release of liver bile. Liver's that don't produce enough bile let cholesterol accumulate. Recent studies from Germany show that people who ate artichokes for 4-6 weeks increased bile production (same time frame as a lot of mild PH cycles?) and lowered LDL cholesterol by as much as 22%! The same study concluded that artichokes may be able to block the formation of new cholesterol in the liver as well. I ate them because of my friends advice, but I had to verify it a bit...it makes sense to me....

the second tidbit not food/nutrition related exactly, but still bizarre, and relevant to the conversation because of the coconut oil comments. I read a study that some researchers believe that coconut oil could be used as a plasma substitute in emergency situations because of its bioavailability, low pH, etc. I thought that this was insane....

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Eating watermelon can help produce arginine in the body causing some nitric oxide flow in your blood stream.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Freezing white bread and eating after defrosted, reduces G.I impact by 30%. So I have read........

MrDeadlift

Awards
- Goat Milk and Kefir Yogurt Drinks are great sources of protein for those who are lactose intolerant.

- If you are lactose intolerance, warming up milk reduces or eliminates the impact

- I read somewhere in several places and articles that Dairy fat (whole milk for example) is not as bad to your health as people thought and as a matter of fact has proven to be beneficial (especially to pregnant women and athletes). For example, Milk Fat contains CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Freezing white bread and eating after defrosted, reduces G.I impact by 30%. So I have read........
Actually the study done was freezing it, then toasting it reduced the GI impact that much :) Nicer still, the Ezekiel sprouted grain breads come frozen normally, so there has to be about 0 GI impact from that.

my nutritional tips are more taste based than functionality based. The main functional one I have is that normally something like almond meal or walnut meal is fairly expensive to buy. But if you get one of those cheap blade style coffee grinders, you can buy bulk 2lb or bigger bags of almonds/walnuts/etc at sams club , costco or bjs cheap and make your own meal. Then using a combo of 1/3 almond/walnut meal, 1/3 soy flour 1/3 whole grain wheat as a replacement for regular flower you end up with amazingly normal texture, but can also get away with adding less oil in most recipes as well as having more protein in the pancakes/muffins/whatever. Works super well with banana pecan pancakes. You can go as high as 1/2 nut meal, just at that point texture starts to change. I used to do 1/3 nut 1/3 buckwheat 1/3 whole grain flour, but my wife didn't like the texture.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I've recently been eating this as a snack in between meals. Dry roasted edamame

4g fat
10g carbs (8g fiber)
14g protein

1/4 cup serving. Contains soy beans and sea salt. A nice healthy snack food if you ask me. And it tastes great IMO.

austinfrench5

Awards
I am interested in using coconut oil before the gym. what type do you suggest? how much do you take? and how long before your preworkout supplement do you take it?

survival

Awards
- Goat Milk and Kefir Yogurt Drinks are great sources of protein for those who are lactose intolerant.
Kefir is not recommended for people with liver problems, i wouldn't recommend it for those taking orals as it may place more stress in the liver.

Lactose is still present in Kefir and might cause discomfort in those w tolerance problems

TeamT10

Awards
1/3 of Barley, 1/3 of oats . . . you can also have a 5 grain Oatmeal with Barley, Rye, Oats, and a couple of other grains but its alittle pricey.

Also adding Cinnamon to the oatmeal lowers blood sugar so you dont have a big spike in insulin. cinnamon has chromium and thats why type II diabetes people use.
awesome, was not aware of that, i add cinnamon to my eggs and chicken

broons

Awards
  • Established
Drinking 8oz of pomegranate juice daily can reduce arterial plaque by nearly 40% in one year.

anoopbal

Awards
Since plant proteins are incomplete proteins(lacking or insufficient amount of a few amino acids), food combining is recommended to make it a compete protein. For example, by combing grains & legumes (rice and beans) in the same meal, you get the missing amino acids and make it a complete protein .

Now it is known that you don’t have to have it in the same meal as long as you have a variety of foods throughout the course of the day.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established

4g fat
10g carbs (8g fiber)
14g protein

1/4 cup serving. Contains soy beans and sea salt. A nice healthy snack food if you ask me. And it tastes great IMO.
Oh and I failed to mention that this snack contains all 8 essential amino acids :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since plant proteins are incomplete proteins(lacking or insufficient amount of a few amino acids), food combining is recommended to make it a compete protein. For example, by combing grains & legumes (rice and beans) in the same meal, you get the missing amino acids and make it a complete protein .

Now it is known that you don’t have to have it in the same meal as long as you have a variety of foods throughout the course of the day.
actually quinoa is a complete protein, there are one or two others as well.

SBT

SBT

Awards
lots of great tips in here!

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I am interested in using coconut oil before the gym. what type do you suggest? how much do you take? and how long before your preworkout supplement do you take it?
I take any edible brand that isn't too hard to melt. I mix it with my preworkout meal, but I tey to workout 60-90 min after the meal, so I know that wouldn't work for everyone.

survival

Awards

4g fat
10g carbs (8g fiber)
14g protein

Oh and I failed to mention that this snack contains all 8 essential amino acids :)

I avoid everything that has Phytoestrogens like soy.

Soybeans and processed soy foods are among the richest foods in total phytoestrogens.

Studies suggest there is an inverse correlation between soybean ingestion and testosterone in men.

Soybeans also contain potent enzyme-inhibitors that can block uptake of trypsin and other enzymes which the body needs for protein digestion.

Soybeans also contain hemagglutinin.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I avoid everything that has Phytoestrogens like soy.

Soybeans and processed soy foods are among the richest foods in total phytoestrogens.

Studies suggest there is an inverse correlation between soybean ingestion and testosterone in men.

Soybeans also contain potent enzyme-inhibitors that can block uptake of trypsin and other enzymes which the body needs for protein digestion.

Soybeans also contain hemagglutinin.
I am aware of all of this....but i do feel that some soy protein in your diet won't kill you. If you use soy solely as your only source of protein will you have a problem.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Drink your own urine and your penis will grow...serious.

MrDeadlift

Awards
Kefir is not recommended for people with liver problems, i wouldn't recommend it for those taking orals as it may place more stress in the liver.

Lactose is still present in Kefir and might cause discomfort in those w tolerance problems
Can you direct me to any article about Kefir causing stress on the liver???

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Two things....

Eat artichokes while on a PH cycle. There are SEVERAL studies done on this but I've heard this from a friend whose been lifting and juicing for some time, and hes way more knowledgeable then I.

Why? Some benefits from artichokes.....

Artichokes are a healthy vegetable that help to speeds up the digestive processes by stimulating the release of liver bile. Liver's that don't produce enough bile let cholesterol accumulate. Recent studies from Germany show that people who ate artichokes for 4-6 weeks increased bile production (same time frame as a lot of mild PH cycles?) and lowered LDL cholesterol by as much as 22%! The same study concluded that artichokes may be able to block the formation of new cholesterol in the liver as well. I ate them because of my friends advice, but I had to verify it a bit...it makes sense to me....

QUOTE] This is interesting. I don't use PH's or steroids, but with the rediculous amount of healthy food I eat, and all the times Ive taken grams of something that only has an RDA of a few milligrams, and even some odd supplements, I am interested in liver cleansing. I once used a kilo container of CEE, and if youve ever taken that stuff, it dose not belong in the human body!

Exercise123

Awards
Actually the study done was freezing it, then toasting it reduced the GI impact that much :) Nicer still, the Ezekiel sprouted grain breads come frozen normally, so there has to be about 0 GI impact from that.
The GI impact is indirectly reduced by freezing/toasting. The direct loss of GI comes from the loss of nutrients as a result of freezing and toasting... Less high glycemic nutrients = lesser GI impact.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The GI impact is indirectly reduced by freezing/toasting. The direct loss of GI comes from the loss of nutrients as a result of freezing and toasting... Less high glycemic nutrients = lesser GI impact.
What are you talking about? High glycemic nutrients? This is just plain false. Please link me to anything that explains what you're talking about.

Exercise123

Awards
What are you talking about? High glycemic nutrients? This is just plain false. Please link me to anything that explains what you're talking about.
A nutrient can be a macronutrient (lipids, carbohydrates, and proteins) or a micronutrient (vitamins and minerals). White bread has a high GI. White bread's GI impact decreases after freezing/toasting. The decrease in its GI is not through freezing/toasting directly, rather indirectly. It is from a loss of nutrients because of the freezing/toasting. Therefore less nutrients available equals less overall nutrients; with less overall nutrients the overall GI impact will decrease. All in all I'm not saying the original theory is wrong, I'm just stating that it is due to an underlying effect.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I don't need a crash course in what a nutrient is, thanks. GI is derived from carbohydrates impact on blood sugar/insulin release. You're saying that freezing and toasting causes a decrease in carbs?

Exercise123

Awards
I don't need a crash course in what a nutrient is, thanks. GI is derived from carbohydrates impact on blood sugar/insulin release. You're saying that freezing and toasting causes a decrease in carbs?
Freezing, toasting, microwaving, frying (off the top of my head) all cause a decrease in one, two or all three macronutrients. For example, toasting bread or frying pancakes, when you have burnt nutrients those are the destroyed blackened nutrients. Destroyed proteins turn into carcinogenic acrolein. Carbohydrates are destroyed through caramelization via molecular destruction. Lipids are turned into smoke from the destruction of fatty acids and glycerol. Over time, constantly consuming destroyed/burnt nutrients can be detrimental to your health.

So yes in the end, toasting the bread will decrease the amount of carbohydrates. To what extent obviously depends on how long it is toasted or how black the bread is, and when there is a loss of nutrients, there is a loss of complete carbohydrates, loss of carbohydrates, loss of GI impact.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Freezing, toasting, microwaving, frying (off the top of my head) all cause a decrease in one, two or all three macronutrients. For example, toasting bread or frying pancakes, when you have burnt nutrients those are the destroyed blackened nutrients. Destroyed proteins turn into carcinogenic acrolein. Carbohydrates are destroyed through caramelization via molecular destruction. Lipids are turned into smoke from the destruction of fatty acids and glycerol. Over time, constantly consuming destroyed/burnt nutrients can be detrimental to your health.

So yes in the end, toasting the bread will decrease the amount of carbohydrates. To what extent obviously depends on how long it is toasted or how black the bread is, and when there is a loss of nutrients, there is a loss of complete carbohydrates, loss of carbohydrates, loss of GI impact.
According to the study I read, the reduced G.I impact was due to enzyme reactions within freezing temperature.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yeah, sorry, I don't see that freezing then toasting burned 30% of the carbohydrates off bread, try again. And how did freezing destroy the carbs?

Exercise123

Awards
Yeah, sorry, I don't see that freezing then toasting burned 30% of the carbohydrates off bread, try again. And how did freezing destroy the carbs?
Any extreme temperature will alter the nutritional value of nutrients. Whether it be freezing or hot (~150+) temperatures.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any extreme temperature will alter the nutritional value of nutrients. Whether it be freezing or hot (~150+) temperatures.
How? Do they magically evaporate just in grains? Because freezing a piece of fruit or vegetable can damage cell walls, but doesn't change the glucose/fructose levels from any scientific data i've ever seen.

Exercise123

Awards
Long periods of freezing will denature the nutrients. High heats such as those from toasting will create instantaneous denaturing. Towards the white bread study, it was frozen; the nutrients magically disappeared during the toasting.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Long periods of freezing will denature the nutrients. High heats such as those from toasting will create instantaneous denaturing. Towards the white bread study, it was frozen; the nutrients magically disappeared during the toasting.
denaturing changes the structure, it doesn't automatically destroy nutrients. There is no less protein in cooked meats than raw meats.

Another

According to the USDA Nutrient database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
100g of dried white corn has 386 kcal
100g of white popcorn air popped - no oil - has 387 kcal
So how does the heat get high enough to pop popcorn yet not change the caloric value? Post an actual medical or scientific reference, an actual study that shows that there are less carbohydrates there, or less caloric content afterwards. Does the carbohydrate type/content chage? Sure it does, but that doesn't mean there is less of them. As a banana ripens, it changes its dextrose/fructose ratios, but the total amount of sugars and caloric content in the banana doesn't change significantly.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established

Exercise123

Awards
denaturing changes the structure, it doesn't automatically destroy nutrients. There is no less protein in cooked meats than raw meats.

Another

So how does the heat get high enough to pop popcorn yet not change the caloric value? Post an actual medical or scientific reference, an actual study that shows that there are less carbohydrates there, or less caloric content afterwards. Does the carbohydrate type/content chage? Sure it does, but that doesn't mean there is less of them. As a banana ripens, it changes its dextrose/fructose ratios, but the total amount of sugars and caloric content in the banana doesn't change significantly.
TSEN, C. C. and EDDY, P. R. K. R. (1977), EFFECT OF TOASTING ON THE NUTRITIVE VALUE OF BREAD. Journal of Food Science, 42: 1370–1372. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.1977.tb14500.x

The nutritive value of bread was significantly reduced by toasting. Rat-feeding tests showed that the feed conversion ratio, calculated from weight gain and feed intake, was increased, while the protein efficiency ratio of bread was reduced significantly with toasting and with degree toasted. The changes correlated with browning intensities of toasted bread slices. So far as the nutritive value of bread is concerned, toasting, particularly to darkening, is not recommended.
Ramírez-Jiménez, A., García-Villanova, B. and Guerra-Hernández, E. (2001), Effect of toasting time on the browning of sliced bread. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 81: 513–518. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.840

Slices of wheat bread were toasted for different times until a distinct intensity of brown colour was reached. Two assays were carried out: prolonged toasting times (5–60 min) and reduced toasting times (0.5–5 min). The browning indicators (furosine, available lysine, hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF), colour and absorbance at 284 and 420 nm) were determined. The precision of all indicators used was high (CV < 4%). No furosine or HMF was detected in the dough before baking. The furosine content increased until 7 min (299 mg per 100 g protein) and then decreased to 2.9 mg per 100 g protein at 60 minutes. For the first toasting times (0.5, 1 and 2 min) the furosine content decreased slightly. Available lysine reached losses of 50% after 25 min of heating. The toasting of bread increased HMF values from 12 to 2025 mg kg−1 for the assay at prolonged times of heating and from 1.3 to 4.2 mg kg−1 at reduced times (0.5–5 min). The HMF content decreased (1000 mg kg−1) when the sliced bread was toasted until it burnt. Colour (ΔE, 100 − L*) and absorbance at 284 and 420 nm always increased. High linear correlations (r2 > 0.860) were obtained between browning indicators and time (A284/time, A420/time, 100 − L*/time and HMF/time).

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
So how many artichokes do I need to up my liver bile?