GI of Potatoes Question

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

GI of Potatoes Question

I'm in need of a low GI, cheap carb source. So I'm wondering what everyone's preference for potatoes is? I heard awhile ago that some potato strains are low on the GI scale but I can't seem to find any info on that after a quick search.

Any thoughts or suggestions onto what you think the healthiest potato type is?

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    I'm in need of a low GI, cheap carb source. So I'm wondering what everyone's preference for potatoes is? I heard awhile ago that some potato strains are low on the GI scale but I can't seem to find any info on that after a quick search.

Any thoughts or suggestions onto what you think the healthiest potato type is?
    sweet potatos are best, somewhere around 50,then red skin. White potatos are pretty high, above 70 i think.

Brown Rice is probably the best, really low in GI in the mid 30's I think. You can find 15lbs for around $20 if you look hard enough
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Sweet Potatoes are by far best, lower on GI than other potatoes and much more nutrient dense... Red would be second like distilled said and i wouldnt go beyond that really.. But Rice is definately cheap and low on GI
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Answers

The GI stays true and accurate if you're eating the carbs only or eating the potato by itself. If you're eating any fats or proteins with the potato I'm pretty sure the GI changes or something gets lower I believe.

Even with that reasoning tho, sweet potatoes with fats and proteins will be better than white potatoes with fats and proteins.

So if you're eating foods high in GI just make sure to have some fat and proteins with it and this will help.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

The GI stays true and accurate if you're eating the carbs only or eating the potato by itself. If you're eating any fats or proteins with the potato I'm pretty sure the GI changes or something gets lower I believe.
    It does. Mixed composition meals have a decreased rate of gastric emptying. Thank you for all the responses but I am already familiar with the GI loads of the three previous potatoes referred to. I should have been more specific, what I was wondering about was the more uncommon cultivars and their Glycemic Index/loads; I'm looking to find a strain that has a comparable GI to sweet potatoes yet I'm not sure where to look or if one even exists.

Because truth be told, I can't stand sweet potatoes.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Answers

It does. Mixed composition meals have a decreased rate of gastric emptying. Thank you for all the responses but I am already familiar with the GI loads of the three previous potatoes referred to. I should have been more specific, what I was wondering about was the more uncommon cultivars and their Glycemic Index/loads; I'm looking to find a strain that has a comparable GI to sweet potatoes yet I'm not sure where to look or if one even exists.

You will find these magic potatoes at the end of a rainbow guarded by a little leprechaun who will defend them at all costs.....

lol I don't know of any strains like sweet potatoes bro. I don't know if they exist.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

lol I don't know of any strains like sweet potatoes bro. I don't know if they exist.
    Me neither. God I wish I could find the thread... I was arguing with someone about the GI of potatoes (talk about nerd right?) and I want to say he even had links for other potato strains and their GI loads.

Oh well...
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Answers

Me neither. God I wish I could find the thread... I was arguing with someone about the GI of potatoes (talk about nerd right?) and I want to say he even had links for other potato strains and their GI loads.

Oh well...
    Go to your am profile. Go to check all of your posts "Find all posts by PublicEnemy". And look through them the thread title will be on top and when you recognize it click it it will take you there.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.
    Answers

Although maybe HE was the leprechaun.... be careful...
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

You will find these magic potatoes at the end of a rainbow guarded by a little leprechaun who will defend them at all costs.....
    These magic potatoes are starting to sound more like magic mushrooms
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    sweet potatos are best, somewhere around 50,then red skin. White potatos are pretty high, above 70 i think.

Brown Rice is probably the best, really low in GI in the mid 30's I think. You can find 15lbs for around $20 if you look hard enough
    brown rice has a GI of 76, long grain white GI of 77 from what ive seen.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    brown rice has a GI of 76, long grain white GI of 77 from what ive seen.
    no way jose'
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

If you look around there are multiple places that have it lower than that. So idk what to think now. Anywhere from your 76 to 37, Hmm.....

I do know that, for me, Brown Rice is $ in the bank. I did some blood sugar test with my meter and brown rice has a very small affect on it.
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!

How? lol. You try them with a little cinnamon, stevia, nutmeg and a few squirts of spray butter?

Almost the same goodness of the ones on Holidays if you ask me.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!

How? lol. You try them with a little cinnamon, stevia, nutmeg and a few squirts of spray butter?
    Traumatic childhood memory.

Actually I just never preferred the sweetness and texture. Since I've been a kid it has always been one of the handful of foods I don't enjoy eating
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM
  2. Sweet potatoes
    By bigbeef in forum Recipes
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM
  3. Potatoes
    By pudzian2 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 08:24 AM