soft drinks tax

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else hear of this? My friend just informed me they are taxing soda. I heard the government was going to do something like this. I heard they want to tax all fatty foods. Which would of course mean beef and milk and everything we need. This is bull****.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I'm not sure if they passed it yet but I heard about the soda tax. Doesn't affect me because soda is a waste of money anyways. I didn't hear about them trying to tax everything with fat in it. That would be rediculous. I did hear something about all junk foods though. It's just another way for our government to try and control us. If junk food is more expensive then healthy foods everyone will eat healthy. Right now healthy foods are more expensive than junk foods obviously. Our country is broke so we eat to survive not to be healthy.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Conceptually I think that a junk food tax is a great idea. Companies that make that sh!t profit from externalizing the health costs to other sectors. They are no different than tobacco companies. Of course the proof would be in the implementation...

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Conceptually I think that a junk food tax is a great idea. Companies that make that sh!t profit from externalizing the health costs to other sectors. They are no different than tobacco companies. Of course the proof would be in the implementation...
I am going to agree on this one. We need the taxes and our fat country needs to be forced into health. I don't believe in overbearing government control, but this helps in more then one way. I don't think the tax will extend to red meat or Milk. Especially not the milk.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
I sure hope they leave out the meats (non fast food meats that is*)
I am already so broke I gotta eat the ground turkey, I was hoping one day I would be able to actually eat beef but if they tax the beef then I guess not....

I personally say tax and regulate all that fat/junk food and leave our supplements the FU(|< alone!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I am going to agree on this one. We need the taxes and our fat country needs to be forced into health. I don't believe in overbearing government control, but this helps in more then one way. I don't think the tax will extend to red meat or Milk. Especially not the milk.
I think giving the government power to tax any food is a bad idea, only a matter of time until they tax all foods. You know Obama doesn't care, aka black Hitler.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I sure hope they leave out the meats (non fast food meats that is*)
I am already so broke I gotta eat the ground turkey, I was hoping one day I would be able to actually eat beef but if they tax the beef then I guess not....

I personally say tax and regulate all that fat/junk food and leave our supplements the FU(|< alone!
well if worse comes to worse I'm going to be outside killing squirrels and rabbits. No one is going tell me not to eat meat.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i'm all for a junk food tax and a soda tax. those items s/b for occasional consumption not everyday, every meal. look around you guys....go to Wal-Mart and sit and watch if you don't believe me. and what's worse is we're teaching our kids to eat like this too, maybe not telling them to eat like $hit but if we are wtf do you think they will do.

nitrox has the right idea, how is it any different from tobacco? alcohol? and who the hell is anyone to say that it won't kill you all the same. if you want to drink and smoke and eat like crap the end result will be higher insurance rates for all. why should i have to foot your bad habit bill. and these people sit around and say "it's not hurting anyone" the f**k it's not son!

if the end result is lower insurance rates and cheaper good food, then i say this is one thing the Obama might do right.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i'm all for a junk food tax and a soda tax. those items s/b for occasional consumption not everyday, every meal. look around you guys....go to Wal-Mart and sit and watch if you don't believe me. and what's worse is we're teaching our kids to eat like this too, maybe not telling them to eat like $hit but if we are wtf do you think they will do.

nitrox has the right idea, how is it any different from tobacco? alcohol? and who the hell is anyone to say that it won't kill you all the same. if you want to drink and smoke and eat like crap the end result will be higher insurance rates for all. why should i have to foot your bad habit bill. and these people sit around and say "it's not hurting anyone" the f**k it's not son!

if the end result is lower insurance rates and cheaper good food, then i say this is one thing the Obama might do right.
Yeah, but who decides what is good and what is bad? The government? Testosterone foods like red meat and eggs get a bad rap. I mean I think it would be okay to just tax fast food and restaurants, but when it comes to food in the grocery store, where do you draw the line? I mean they can wind up taxing the hell out of oranges, because too much vitamin c is bad for you, or taxing peanuts because some people are allergic. If there are no clear guide lines rest assured the government will abuse their power.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think our forefathers would agree, that people have a right to eat whatever garbage they want to. We are supposed to live in a free country aren't we?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I think our forefathers would agree, that people have a right to eat whatever garbage they want to. We are supposed to live in a free country aren't we?
i don't think our forefathers could have seen even half of the problems this country has had since they've been gone. why on earth do you think they put so many regulations to amend things as we go along. props to them for at least seeing that. nothing stays the same forever bro, nothing. making new laws sometimes blows up in our faces too. i just do not see this being one of them. the gov. has too much control now as i is, i know what you are saying but is this tax really going to strip any freedom away for you? no. no one is saying you can't drink soda and eat chips till you blow up to 400lbs. go for it man. but we're going tax the snot out of you while you do it. your return comment of people having a right to eat whatever they want does not hold water because no one is out lawing junk food or pop.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
We are supposed to live in a free country aren't we?
Sorry to break the news but no country on this planet is 100% free. Most have a myriad of laws that are in place to try and balance the social well being of the country and personal freedom: assault and murder are illegal, you have the right to own a handgun but not a thermonuclear warhead, etc.

No system is perfect but the government has to draw lines somewhere. Lennoxchi is right; you can pay a little now and/or shift the expense to those who consume junk food or you can pay more later through increased health insurance (or in my case higher taxes for public health care in Canada).

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i don't think our forefathers could have seen even half of the problems this country has had since they've been gone. why on earth do you think they put so many regulations to amend things as we go along. props to them for at least seeing that. nothing stays the same forever bro, nothing. making new laws sometimes blows up in our faces too. i just do not see this being one of them. the gov. has too much control now as i is, i know what you are saying but is this tax really going to strip any freedom away for you? no. no one is saying you can't drink soda and eat chips till you blow up to 400lbs. go for it man. but we're going tax the snot out of you while you do it. your return comment of people having a right to eat whatever they want does not hold water because no one is out lawing junk food or pop.
But it's still a means of control through taxation. Also the fast food tax idea is better, because it draws a line between what can be taxed. Unlike making it unlimited on what types of food you can tax.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to break the news but no country on this planet is 100% free. Most have a myriad of laws that are in place to try and balance the social well being of the country and personal freedom: assault and murder are illegal, you have the right to own a handgun but not a thermonuclear warhead, etc.

No system is perfect but the government has to draw lines somewhere. Lennoxchi is right; you can pay a little now and/or shift the expense to those who consume junk food or you can pay more later through increased health insurance (or in my case higher taxes for public health care in Canada).
That why I said "supposed" to be free. If Obama has his way we will have a health care system like that. Even though most people don't want it, Obama is still pushing for it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Look you guys, one of the main reasons I've worried if because unlike a lot of you I still live at home and I'm a college student. I just hope when I go to move out I don't have to pay a **** load of taxes for food.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
This is a great thread.

I agree junk food tax is a great idea. It should be taxed as tobacco and alcohol is taxed. My main question to ask is where the line will be drawn. What will be considered junk food? High in fats and sugars? Gatorades are high in sugar, will that be taxed?

I can careless about soda. I have not drank a soda in almost four years, no big loss there.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
This is a great thread.

I agree junk food tax is a great idea. It should be taxed as tobacco and alcohol is taxed. My main question to ask is where the line will be drawn. What will be considered junk food? High in fats and sugars? Gatorades are high in sugar, will that be taxed?

I can careless about soda. I have not drank a soda in almost four years, no big loss there.
Well milk has a lot of fat. Does anyone want to pay $7.50 for a gallon of milk? I think not. If there is no clear line, I truly believe we are in trouble.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Well milk has a lot of fat. Does anyone want to pay $7.50 for a gallon of milk? I think not. If there is no clear line, I truly believe we are in trouble.
This is true. But milk is also a natural product. Hopefully they would not go that far. I am definitely looking forward to hearing more about this issue in he future.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys, milk does not have a lot of fat. Whole milk has approx 4% and skim milk has none...

EDIT (pressed enter too soon): Foods such as soda, chips, and candy are clearly candidates for a junk food tax. I don't think that there are many people who would consider milk or unprocessed meats as such.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Guys, milk does not have a lot of fat. Whole milk has approx 4% and skim milk has none...

EDIT (pressed enter too soon): Foods such as soda, chips, and candy are clearly candidates for a junk food tax. I don't think that there are many people who would consider milk or unprocessed meats as such.
What about peanut butter? Some people see red meat as bad though. Remember we are dealing with the Obama administration, I don't expect them to have a high knowledge for what is healthy and what isn't. The same goes for state governments.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if the government drew the line at taxing sodas, fast food, anything with HFCS or trans-fat i wouldn't pay more in taxes :D

i think the government isn't going to attack anything vaguely healthy, and here's why. a socialized health care system will work, and will be cheaper (via prevention) than the medicare system we have in place. by taxing the products directly related to some of those issues (obesity, diabetes) the people who get those ailments will be being directly taxed for getting it, without them knowing. genius :)

since medical MJ is cheaper and sometimes more effective than prescription meds, you're also seeing more states trying to approve it. this goes along with the socialized medicine theory - if we're not using most effective (from cost vs. sides aspect) treatment methods, we'll get bankrupt fast.

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
Isnt this tax just a cash grab? The taxes are high for smokes and alchohol like some of you mentioned but has that reduced there consumption? I think the answer is no.

I think this is one of those things that are better in theory than in practice.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
if the government drew the line at taxing sodas, fast food, anything with HFCS or trans-fat i wouldn't pay more in taxes :D

i think the government isn't going to attack anything vaguely healthy, and here's why. a socialized health care system will work, and will be cheaper (via prevention) than the medicare system we have in place. by taxing the products directly related to some of those issues (obesity, diabetes) the people who get those ailments will be being directly taxed for getting it, without them knowing. genius :)

since medical MJ is cheaper and sometimes more effective than prescription meds, you're also seeing more states trying to approve it. this goes along with the socialized medicine theory - if we're not using most effective (from cost vs. sides aspect) treatment methods, we'll get bankrupt fast.
I am just weary of giving the government too much power.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Isnt this tax just a cash grab? The taxes are high for smokes and alchohol like some of you mentioned but has that reduced there consumption? I think the answer is no.

I think this is one of those things that are better in theory than in practice.
yes, but it does help defray the costs we incur (as non smokers/ non drinkers) of paying for their medicare.....
I am just weary of giving the government too much power.
i agree with you there, but obviously "we" can't preach a healthy lifestyle to people that don't listen.

fact : if you're hispanic, you are 33% more likely to get diabetes.

i can't count the times i've been to wall-mart to pick up something for my house and seen an obese hispanic mom with their obese 8 year old buying ho-ho's and sodas.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
yo don't forget that chorizo they eat that in everything!

-James

BlutUndKraft

Awards
(fat)People would still buy the soda, they would just be even more broke. You can't force a mass of people to not do something by simply putting a tax on said activity. Soda taxes would go down, but the loss sales would be coming from people that are perfectly healthy and drink the occasional soda.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the biggest problem with these kinds of taxes, is that it leads towards socialized medicine, which i do think is a very important thing. here's the problem : socialized medicine spells the downfall of any supplement the FDA wants to target under the guise of "protecting" us. like for example, prohormones, proprietary blends, etc, which will make companies scared of researching new things that may be banned before the company can make its money back.

from a bodybuilding perspective, socialized medicine sucks. if you think medical MJ is a great thing though, or like canada's health care, its a great system to have in place.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Anybody heard about a NY state ban on salt in restaurants? Neil Boortz was talking about it on NPR radio station friday morning.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
They raised the price of smokes here about 5 times at least in the last decade. No one quit, they just pay more. People will still eat like crap.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
They raised the price of smokes here about 5 times at least in the last decade. No one quit, they just pay more. People will still eat like crap.
and that's what it comes down to. and they know that.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
i personally dont think taxing unhealthy foods would do anything other than make them more money. If people are willing to pay upwards of $4 per gallon of gas whenever they feel its necessary to raise it that high, an extra 35 cents isnt gonna sway anyone from a bag of dorritos.

CyberGlitch

Awards
Exactly, it's a way for the government to raise taxes and generate more money and your average person will accept it.

Govt: "Hey, we're raising everyone's taxes"
Ppl: "No...noo...no.. no new taxes."

vs

Govt: "Hey, we're going to tax soda and junk foods to help fight obesity."
Ppl: "Well, that sounds like a good idea."

It's the same end result because it's not going to stop anyone from still buying the soda or junk food.

I think it was Europe that gives discounts on health insurance for healthy people. We should have something along those lines. I for example am much much much more healthy now than I was this time last year. Has my insurance gone down? No, to the contrary it's gone up just like it does every year. I mean besides the obvious personal benefit there is no monetary benefit for a person to be healthy. If you told people, lose weight and save $200/mo on insurance I bet more people would jump at the chance.

We as a country are more reactive then proactive unfortunately.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
So if they tax junk food, how about discounting organic foods?

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Reward instead of punish- seems like the more taxes we get, the less the dollar is worth.

KimboBatista

Awards
NYS is only implementing a soda tax. They're hoping this would help fight against obesity (there is no nutritional value in soda whatsoever) and the taxes from soft drink purchases would be used to help fund state health programs. I agree with it. I wish NYS would do what the Governator did in California; get rid of all junk food and soda machines in public schools, and critique the nutritional value of the school menu.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holy ****... how can any American be for this type of crap? An unequal tax on any food because of it's type is an abuse of power and grossly ignorant to the envisionment for America. Would you allow the government regulate who you can or cannot date, what type of house you are allowed to buy, car you can drive?

WTF, it is a sad day when the lemmings are buying into this ****. Time to go set up my cottage in Antarctica and just wait for that Global Warming to start kicking in.

But seriously.. Government is the answer?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Holy ****... how can any American be for this type of crap? An unequal tax on any food because of it's type is an abuse of power and grossly ignorant to the envisionment for America. Would you allow the government regulate who you can or cannot date, what type of house you are allowed to buy, car you can drive?

WTF, it is a sad day when the lemmings are buying into this ****. Time to go set up my cottage in Antarctica and just wait for that Global Warming to start kicking in.

IDK how true this is, but I heard very radical things about the Obama healthcare bill. Like they will gain access to your bank account and decide how much you pay for health care depending on what you eat.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone else hear of this? My friend just informed me they are taxing soda. I heard the government was going to do something like this. I heard they want to tax all fatty foods. Which would of course mean beef and milk and everything we need. This is bull****.
No, what's bull**** is Los Angeles, CA is trying to pass a "Carbon Surcharge" tax. I want to know if I can get a tax deduction if I commit to hold my breath for a total of 5 min a day to reduce my carbon footprint, we're sincerely retarded here.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IDK how true this is, but I heard very radical things about the Obama healthcare bill. Like they will gain access to your bank account and decide how much you pay for health care depending on what you eat.
No, this is republican propaganda. And before I get attacked by the republicans, let me state I don't agree with democrats either. I am just calling it like it is.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, what's bull**** is Los Angeles, CA is trying to pass a "Carbon Surcharge" tax. I want to know if I can get a tax deduction if I commit to hold my breath for a total of 5 min a day to reduce my carbon footprint, we're sincerely retarded here.
:clap2:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Oh please, you need to come to Southern California to hear about tax abuse. I repeat, our Mayor is trying to pass a "Carbon Surcharge" tax. Imagine my conflict in admiring Arnold as a bodybuilder, whilst hating his two faced guts as a politician.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have read the provisions that the government will have access to all Bank accounts, from how I read it in the bill, they will have authority to withdrawl money from your account to pay the penalties if you choose not to get a government sponsored insurance plan.

39 states have a bill in your state house/senate. Look up the "Health Care Freedom Act". I live in missouri and it has passed the house, and now on to the senate. If the senate approves, then it will be up for public vote in November. These state bills essentially blocks federal health care provisions for their states, giving the people of the state the choice to participate, and if a citizen does not participate it blocks any reprecutions from being placed against that citizen. Whereas now the federal health care bill says you will be penalized if you do not get a sponsored health insurance. Currently the federal health bill says you can be fined or even jailed. The Health Care Freedom Act will block any of that with the 10th Amendment.

So I urge you to support your states rights.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, this is republican propaganda. And before I get attacked by the republicans, let me state I don't agree with democrats either. I am just calling it like it is.
Actually it has a shred of truth. Read the bill, access to accounts is, or at least was in the senate bill. I only speak from actually reading the provision.

Of course you will not learn this on Chris Matthews.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh please, you need to come to Southern California to hear about tax abuse. I repeat, our Mayor is trying to pass a "Carbon Surcharge" tax. Imagine my conflict in admiring Arnold as a bodybuilder, whilst hating his two faced guts as a politician.
California and New York have both shot themselves in the foot with their abhorrent social programs, and now the only way to fix it is to tax everything they can find. The US is moving in that direction now if we keep passing these ****ty social programs that the US when never envisioned with.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Arnold is my childhood hero. That being said I don't trust him. I'd like to think he's been brain washed, rather than thinking he's evil. Global Warming is not caused by humans. I went to my governor's site(Martin O'Malley) and guess what, it's filled with **** like we have to stop climate change. Just lovely. Whats next, are they going to have a fart tax?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
California and New York have both shot themselves in the foot with their abhorrent social programs, and now the only way to fix it is to tax everything they can find. The US is moving in that direction now if we keep passing these ****ty social programs that the US when never envisioned with.
Agreed and we here in Southern California have a large population who take from the pot without pitching in.