Beer is better for rehydrating then water!

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
I was just scrolling around the internet a found this..... The Study was from Granada University .....

Beer
"Oh hell yes. Guess what, researchers at Granada University in Spain found out something pretty cool a few years ago. When it comes to recovering and rehydrating after a workout, beer is better than water. Spain seems like a pretty cool country. They probably conducted half of the experiment to find that out, took a siesta to make love to their beautiful wives, then another to ravish their beautiful, younger, mistresses. Then they probably rolled a clove cigarette and drank some brandy. Then they finished the study. Probably. Anyway, here’s what they found:
The subjects in the study were asked to run on a treadmill at temperatures of 104F (40C) until they were close to exhaustion. Once they had reached the point of giving up, researchers measured their hydration levels, motor skills, and concentration ability.

Half of the subjects were given two half pints of Spanish lager to drink, and the other half were given just water.

Garzon said that the rehydration effection in those who were given beer was "slightly better" than those who were given only water. He also believes that the carbon dioxide in beer helps quench thirst more quickly, and that beer's carbohydrates replace calories lost during physical exertion."

What to Drink Before and After Working Out

Take it for what its worth..... id rather stick to my water!!!!

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
That does it...i'm getting drunk before hitting the gym and continuing when i'm done. gotta love science.

fireblade187

Awards
i drink a lot of alcohol free beer.
For me it feels to be better than water after a hard workout.
Thirst is gone very fast.
Good to live in Germany .. it even tastes good =)

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I find beer to be one of the most disgusting productions ever. I tried to drink it in my younger years and it was always awful. I've tried several different ones from various states and countries but I can't see how people drink it.

With that being said, I have forced a few down for that liquid courage feeling before approaching a female (most stupid shiat ever). I was alwasy thirsty after I drank it and sick.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
there is no truth to this post.
Limited truth, with a narrow scope of accuracy. Alcohol can work to cause net reabsorption, pulling interstitial water back into the blood stream - hence, hydration. That's why glycerol and GMS are effective.

But there are limits, and using beer would certainly have downsides.

WannaShred

Awards
Im with gamer 1 or 2 a day would seem fine. But come on! After 12 you wake up with a headache cause your DEHYDRATED!

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
well, carbs will increase glycogen, causing a little more hydration than just calorie free water. Most of us already take post workout carbs. Plus, do we really whant testosterone reducing alcohol after a workout when were all pumped?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is alcohol.

I've drank beer many a time and gotten sick as a dog due to deyhydration. If I ever do drink, which isn't very often, I have to make sure to drink loads of water as well. And all I really drink anymore is craft beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com <-- Check it! :D

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is a diuretic.. hydration would be temporary

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
I always finish the night off with some gatorade or just a bunch of high quality h2o... I usually wake up feeling fine....

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Too much of anything at night has me up all hours peeing :D

I like the gatorade myself, but usually chug a big bottle of water right before working out, then 1 or 2 during, then protein shake with water after.

Plus if anymore abuse hits my liver its gonna give up on me and bail out my a-hole :D :D

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Bwhaha my gramps who was a multiple title weightlifting champ in Sweden and Denmark used to down Brewers yeast like crazy and drink a pitcher of beer after his workouts to
"recover" he was nails till a few years ago. I don't think I will experiment though haha, beer has its place in my life.

musclehustler

musclehustler

Awards
Yeah , GREAT IDEA, drink BEER!
ALCoholic!
I heard it will make your biceps bigger too!

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
1 Guinness a day has been shown to decrease heart disease

but alcohol is a diuretic

orangerain

Awards
Doesn't beer dehydrate you rather than hydrate you? Which is why it is advised to drink lots of water after a night of drinking to rehydrate the body.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't beer dehydrate you rather than hydrate you? Which is why it is advised to drink lots of water after a night of drinking to rehydrate the body.
It's amazing to me how many friends I have who don't drink water after a night of drinking, and then complain about having a terrible hangover or sickness the next day. I mean, I know sometimes you're too wasted to down a whole bottle before passing out, but an attempt should be made at the least. Making sure to have some food in your stomach at most a few hours before going out helps as well.

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
i find this post hard to believe because beer does not hydrate me at all the complete opposite however .....

I guess its more a mental thing i do love a nice cold beer in the summer in the beer garden,

After i have finished a hard days work and sit down with a beer i and take that first mouthfull of first pint refreshment its just aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh wait thats from strongbow advert please dont sue me lol.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is a diuretic.. hydration would be temporary
I agree, If there is any benifets to this over water it is temporary, if they test again within a hour or 2 the results may be completely different. Alcohol can provoke hypoglycemia as well. If your talking about the carbs in the beer and the effects of replenishing carbohydrates it may do that initially but drop your blood sugar soon later. I think you would be a fool to think taking in beer after a workout would be the best choice. Studies like this are misleading.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
I absolutely love the taste of beer, but it's just not worth it. It's expensive, it lowers testosterone levels, halts protein synthesis and if you don't stay hydrated or drink too much it makes you feel like **** the next day.